The reason I don't like Super Mario Land 2

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
You know, I still really like Super Mario Land after all these years. It was my family's first Game Boy game, and boy was it fun.

But I really dislike Super Mario Land 2.

Don't get me wrong, the gameplay is fine. It's the feeling of it that I don't like. It has a bargain-basement, made-in-Hong-Kong, ROM-hack feeling. Nothing about it feels all that Mario-ish.

Do you agree?

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
I have more or less an opposite opinion to you. While I do agree that Super Mario Land 2 doesn't feel much like a Mario game, I think the quality is up to standard. Super Mario Land on the other hand feels like a cheap knock off of Super Mario Bros that tries to be a Mario game but doesn't do a great job.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I enjoy both games, but I wouldn't say they feel at all similar, I actually think Super Mario Land 2 feels a lot more like a traditional mario platformer than the first game did.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
Was my first game as well. Only part I do not like is the Space Zone boss, pretty darn frustrating. Never actually managed to beat him, the lack of mobility ruins that fight for me. Done everything else exept the last phase against Wario. I consider it pretty well done, good imagination and so on. Pretty fantastic for the most part, and it gave us the one hit wonder Super Mario Land 3.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
It's a lot slower and a lot floaty-er, but I think it still feels like a Mario game. A lot more than Mario Land 1 anyway. SML2 and Pokemon Blue were in my Gameboy 90% of the time between ages five and seven, so maybe I'm biased. I didn't play Mario Land 1 until, like, two years ago, and I couldn't believe how bad it was. It's grown on me a lot since then, but I'd still rank it towards the bottom if I had to rank all Mario games.

It's honestly one of my favorites of the series, mostly because of the music and how they strayed away from just using goombas and koopas as enemies.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
For me back in t'day it was actually quite astounding that the Gameboy could get anywhere near to re-producing something like Mario on a handheld. Remember, this was the type of quality most of us had been used to beforehand..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfKoEWN65Qo

I think both games did a good job considering.

Jan 27, 2011
Angelowl said:
Was my first game as well. Only part I do not like is the Space Zone boss, pretty darn frustrating. Never actually managed to beat him, the lack of mobility ruins that fight for me.
I just hovered over the spots where he flies up to, and I basically killed him without doing anything. XD

It was a fun mario game, and I LOVED it when I was a kid (it was my first non-tetris gameboy game), but...That last level is ridiculous. Totally ridiculous.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Please keep in mind it was made before Hong Kong ROMHacks existed. It certainly did a better job of recreating the look of Super Mario World on the Game Boy than SML 1 did recreating Super Mario Bros.

Also notable for introducing Wario to the series. I watched a Let's Race of it a while back and it was fun, particularly since the most arrogant player was the one to Game Over in the clutch.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Are you talking about the one where you have to get a bunch of coins? That might be one of my favourite marios!!!

Some of those bosses were memorable, like the 3 pigs and wario himself. The levels were all pretty fun too. I wish I had that game right now. I remember the space level took me awhile to beat, then it took me awhile to beat wario's castle. That was a good challenge though.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I remember thinking it was such a weird game when I was little, even before I understood what made it so weird when compared to other Mario games. Anyway, I really like it a lot because it feels so bizarre. It's like a forgotten/obscure adventure in the Mario universe that doesn't get much attention, unless you are looking up where Wario came from, of course.

I would love for the inevitable New Super Mario Bros. game to just go all out in being weird like the two Mario Land games. Different villains, different settings, different power-ups, just something new and strange.

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
I think it's a great looking game, with really solid play. But it does have an off-brand feel to it. Then again, so did Mario Land 1, what with the sphinx monsters and aliens and a peach clone with a different name.

Wario Land blew them both out of the water so hard that I didn't worry much though.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Both of them are crap Game Boy knockoffs of the home console Super Mario Bros. games; Super Mario Land 2?s just less crap because it?s longer, doesn?t look as rushed, and introduced Wario. In terms of quality, they're barely passable for early Game Boy platformers.

Both of them have sluggish gameplay, and it seems a lot of the love for the Mario Land games are down to nostalgia. They really don?t stand up today, although I can see how good they must?ve seemed when that was one of the closest (nigh, only) ways to recreate the Super Mario Bros. experience on the go.

Doesn?t mean I don?t play them every now and then, if I feel like playing a quick Game Boy platformer (moreso the first Mario Land, due to its length and kick-ass music by Hip Tanaka). But honestly, it was a good thing they dropped Mario and replaced him with Wario: a much better (not to mention innovative) fit for the handheld Land series of platformers. I still can?t decide between Wario Land II, Wario Land 3, and Wario Land 4 as my favourite Wario platformer.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAtWQ_xn0kI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfFHgm086uI

You'll thank me later. :)

RawSteelUT

Mar 8, 2015
I'm no huge fan of Mario Land 2, but for a different reason. Felt like they were desperately trying to dial back on the awesome weirdness of Super Mario Land and only ended up with a bit of a ghetto Mario game.