The Revival of Neverwinter Nights Campaign

zordren3742

Feb 14, 2018
Now that BEAMDOG has announced that they are working on Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition, it mean's different things to all different people.

For the people that played the game and are still playing it today, 16 years after it's launch, it is very exciting news.

For some people that have never heard of the 2002 Neverwinter, they will watch a video somewhere see the graphics are old and dated, and that will be it, that will be the end of it, they will never buy and play it for that reason. Not knowing all the things Neverwinter Nights has to offer.

Some people that did not play BG,BGII and ID back in the day, but played the enhanced versions on PC and on their phones and tablets and fell in love with them, or even those that did play them back in the day are still in love with them, some of them will come back just for the nostalgia.

Others may see or think beamdog is slapping another enhanced edition on another game just to make a quick buck, and not buy into it......yes....there are some people feel that way.

Some people have played both NWN1....and NWN2 and they feel NWN2 was better and think its a waste of time and money so they won't buy into it....yes there are those too.

The point I am trying to get to is this, Neverwinter Nights is not Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale or Planescape. But to many people, Neverwinter is just that, it is just another old game. It is just another game where you make a character, kill some monsters, it has a story that has a beginning a middle and a end, and that is it, you beat the game, you got your money's worth, the end.

But that is NOT what Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition IS, those things are there yes,it has over 100+ hours of content right out of the box,but neverwinter is so much more that.It is not just a old game with a beginning a middle and a end.

It is a game that has NOT ended in the 16 years sense it's launch. slowed down yes, ended no, even the original developers tried to end it,they shut down the main site and the original forums.but it has continued to live on through modders and people that did not want it to end, A game that is not a true MMO or MMORPG that still has online persistent worlds that have persisted..... for 16 years. Something a lot of game's cannot say.

It is a D&D based game that gives people the tools and lets non expert and expert game developers make their own 3d worlds, write their own stories based in the D&D universe. Something that well...very few games even today can say.

This is a game that can reach and be played by a lot of new gamers, indie developers and fans of games like rpg maker that want more than just a 2d game. Or minecraft players or any people that play any sandbox game that may want more tools and want to learn and do more.

tools simple enough that normal people can use,but with capabilities that most modern sandbox games cannot match.there are even videos on the internet of teachers in schools teaching beginner game developers with this game.

It is a game with no end,in possibilties. With the success of Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition, who know's it might even pave the way for a new modern game that has modern tools and modern graphics that gives all of these things and more.

So that is what this Discussion is about, getting the word out to eveyone,everywhere, about what Neverwinter Nights IS. Going to all the gaming sites,all the modding sites,all social media sites and telling people what Neverwinter Nights IS.that it is coming back,why those that have never played the game should be excited. also make sure they know this is not the same as the mmorpg neverwinter. And let modders that may have moved on know why they should come back.

BEAMDOG is putting its time and money into this game.the team working on the Enhanced Edition has along many others Mark Brockington (who wrote the scripting and multiplayer systems among many others), Jason Knipe (who wrote the Aurora graphics engine) Trent Oster, the original project director. Mark, Jason and Oster all worked on the original game.they know what can and cannot be enhanced.And what they do, or do not do, will not be is based on the support of this game. beamdog can do things,but it is the players,the people that will buy the game, the people that will play it,the people that will bring it back and keep it alive.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Will it still be using D&D 3rd edition rules? Will be using the most recent rules instead? Any of these two has its own positive and negative repercussions.

EDIT: I remember even playing it on Linux. That version was free, but it didn't include the campaign (you had to buy the windows version and copy the campaign files). Good old times...

Aug 31, 2012
Only Bioware game I've ever liked. I seem to be one of the few people who liked it for the story and expansions rather than the user created stuff. I might give it a go if it's cheap.

zordren3742

Feb 14, 2018
I'm pretty sure the core of the game is not going to change. You can find out more on beamdogs website and in the forums on their website.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Zykon TheLich said:
Only Bioware game I've ever liked. I seem to be one of the few people who liked it for the story and expansions rather than the user created stuff. I might give it a go if it's cheap.
You're not the only one. I loved the game, and in fact it may be the first RPG I really played. I have many fond memories of the game.

Also, Deekin's Doom Song is better than Gir's. Fight me, b!%$#.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm super optimistic about this remaster but caution nags me to be careful anyway. I guess I've been disappointed too many times by this industry.

CaitSeith said:
Will it still be using D&D 3rd edition rules? Will be using the most recent rules instead?
It will use 3rd edition rules just as the first game did. If they changed it to 5th edition or Pathfinder rules, it would of course require a deep overhaul, and at that point, they might as well just make NWN3. Which I would totally buy actually but that's besides the point.

zordren3742

Feb 14, 2018
Arnoxthe1 said:
I'm super optimistic about this remaster but caution nags me to be careful anyway. I guess I've been disappointed too many times by this industry.

CaitSeith said:
Will it still be using D&D 3rd edition rules? Will be using the most recent rules instead?
It will use 3rd edition rules just as the first game did. If they changed it to 5th edition or Pathfinder rules, it would of course require a deep overhaul, and at that point, they might as well just make NWN3. Which I would totally buy actually but that's besides the point.
finally a person that understands the difference between claiming to enhance and completely overhauling. Something that people in GOG's forums have not figured out yet. The hate is real there.

Aug 31, 2012
Chessrook44 said:
You're not the only one. I loved the game, and in fact it may be the first RPG I really played. I have many fond memories of the game.

Also, Deekin's Doom Song is better than Gir's. Fight me, b!%$#.
It's certainly the first RPG I played that I really liked and continued to be the only one until Oblivion/FO3. I still remember my super broken shadowdancer that I took through all 3 campaigns.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
CaitSeith said:
Will it still be using D&D 3rd edition rules? Will be using the most recent rules instead? Any of these two has its own positive and negative repercussions.

EDIT: I remember even playing it on Linux. That version was free, but it didn't include the campaign (you had to buy the windows version and copy the campaign files). Good old times...
There are no positives to using 3X.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
I really want a big budget 5e Rules video game. The 5e system just seems perfectly designed for house-rule customization so to translate it into a new system would be grand.

I just really want to play 5e with a PRT (Pause-Real-Time, like Baldur's Gate and Pillars of Eternity) system.

zordren3742

Feb 14, 2018
Abomination said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
I really want a big budget 5e Rules video game. The 5e system just seems perfectly designed for house-rule customization so to translate it into a new system would be grand.

I just really want to play 5e with a PRT (Pause-Real-Time, like Baldur's Gate and Pillars of Eternity) system.
Well there is maybe some good news to that on the trello boards https://trello.com/b/K0C0i8wF/neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition there is talks about making some things soft coded so moders can make the game use other rules, Not just 3.0.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
zordren3742 said:
Well there is maybe some good news to that on the trello boards https://trello.com/b/K0C0i8wF/neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition there is talks about making some things soft coded so moders can make the game use other rules, Not just 3.0.
As awesome as this would be, I feel they would have to soft-code an AWFUL lot just to make this doable. For one, every enemy needs to be redesigned in their stats to reflect the new rules and placed back onto the game maps. Every single one. Also, the AI may very well have to be rewritten if not at least touched up.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
This is way overhyped.
All they're doing is a few, minor tweaks to the ui and then putting it on steam drm. Absolutely no new content.
And they want 20$ for that.

I'll be much more excited when they eventually, inevitably, tackle NWN2. That game really needs the overhaul.

zordren3742

Feb 14, 2018
Tayh said:
This is way overhyped.
All they're doing is a few, minor tweaks to the ui and then putting it on steam drm. Absolutely no new content.

I'll be much more excited when they eventually, inevitably, tackle NWN2. That game really needs the overhaul.
No, they are doing more then that. They have already stated they are going to work on the game for ?the next couple of years? you can go to the trello boards to see everything they are talking about adding.
https://trello.com/b/K0C0i8wF/neverwinter-nights-enhanced-edition and they are adding things to the board as they go. You can also go to beamdogs website forums, that is mostly where they move things to the board from.
Arnoxthe1 said:
zordren3742 said:
As awesome as this would be, I feel they would have to soft-code an AWFUL lot just to make this doable. For one, every enemy needs to be redesigned in their stats to reflect the new rules and placed back onto the game maps. Every single one. Also, the AI may very well have to be rewritten if not at least touched up.
yes it would be a lot of work, and the talks are about making it so people are allowed too. And it would be the modders that would be doing the writing of the new rules into a pw. And sense it is the people who are requesting...... this feature... Well. I don't see why the people would want to be able to do something.... That they don't want to do..... right?
Also beamdog does not have the rights to nwn2. The director from nwn and the man who wrote the code for NWN's engine are working for beamdog on nwnee. No one at beamdog worked on NWN2 which use's a redone, recoded version of nwn's engine.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Tayh said:
This is way overhyped.

$20 one time to get the best online Roleplaying experience I have ever experienced? Fuck yeah.

Just bringing back out of box online functionality is more than worth the price of admission.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Tayh said:
Forget NWN2. Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the NWN2 we should have gotten.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Saelune said:
$20 one time to get the best online Roleplaying experience I have ever experienced? Fuck yeah.

Just bringing back out of box online functionality is more than worth the price of admission.
Yes.
http://www.nwnlist.com/#
Because obviously nobody's managing to play online with the original game.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Tayh said:
Yes.
http://www.nwnlist.com/#
Because obviously nobody's managing to play online with the original game.
Yeah but it's a hassle to do it that way. A hassle many players won't want to do. And on top of that, this release would give the NWN community some much needed new blood.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
The UI scaling will make the game a lot more playable. The Diamond Edition up on GOG supports 1080p already, but the UI is so tiny it's impossible to use. I even tried a few mods to increase it but no joy.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Are they going to bring back the Premium modules? Because I bought all of them and can't play them these days (thanks DRM).