Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Corey Schaff said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Norithics said:
Laggyteabag said:
Cut down on them, man. This is a comic strip, not a short novel. It is pretty hard to get the punchline when the joke is 7 sentences long and the artwork struggles to convey it.
I thought it was just fine? It's a comic, not a meme.
If you need to rely more on words than on images to tell a story/joke, comics aren't the medium for you.
Antithesis:

Quod Error Demonstratum, clearly you've not read enough comics.
The only thing that demonstratum, if we're to make sweeping statements about each other, is that you've read enough comics, but you don't understand them. For one thing, the first strip plays on the stillness of the image. It's very much telling me something on both a literary and visual plain. I'd argue that strips two and three make equal use of images to reinforce their respective punchlines (Calvin turning and breaking the fourth wall, Linus and Lucy breaking the stillness in exasperation).

Visulth

Jun 25, 2009
Corey Schaff said:
Antithesis:

Quod Error Demonstratum, clearly you've not read enough comics.
The example comics you posted, don't they simply demonstrate that artists/authors who know how to make a good comic can make funny comics with lots of words? All those comics series in the pictures likely have many strips with few words and direct punchlines in the vein of what others were expecting. It just merely means a good comic author can make a good comic, regardless of how.

On the other hand, Full Frontal Nerdity has clearly demonstrated they are sadly unfunny with lots of words. Will they be funny if they used less words? I am skeptical.

Rituro

Critwrencha
Sep 18, 2008
Laggyteabag said:
wordswordswords.

Cut down on them, man. This is a comic strip, not a short novel. It is pretty hard to get the punchline when the joke is 7 sentences long and the artwork struggles to convey it.
"Reading: I Don't Have Time For It."
-The Internet

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
This comic is an interesting change to Critical Miss. Good to have it here.

keniakittykat said:
Or maybe FFN is just not funny? You can pick apart the problem as much as you want, but at the end of the day, it just wasn't funny.
None of their comics so far are funny. Is it because there's too many words? Or because their punchlines are dull?
Who cares, it sucks either way.
Go and read another comic.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Barbas said:
"Go and read another thread."

It doesn't help to be just as confrontational as other people. Criticism is a central part of improving as a creator, and voicing said criticism of work (whether it be constructive or "u suk lol") is something anyone is entitled to do when that work is released to the public on the internet. It's up to the creator to pick and choose what criticism they're going to take on board and what isn't worth remembering the minute after they glance over it. Regardless of how constructive the comment you quoted may or may not have been, if there's a large enough consensus that the comic "isn't funny" but is trying to be funny, that's something the creator should evaluate.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Denamic said:
I suppose it would be something like this:
Oh my sweet tapdancing Christ, my sides.
That is utterly horrifying and hilarious at the same time, I just can't believe someone actually got that on their tailgate.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Eh. Bodytype... Cosplay.

For some, there's lots of options, for others not many.

And for some characters, the odds of anyone being able to cosplay them 'properly' are almost non-existent.

There's also the category of character where you could find someone, but they'd need to be about 10 or 12, and the nature of the character would make getting a 12 year old to dress up as that character seem like a really, really dubious thing to do... >_<

Face it. Fictional character in many cases don't look much like real people.
At best you're only ever going to get an approximation of one for most of them, so... You kind of have to improvise...

But, I'm sure judging from the other posts that most people were more focused on how funny (or not) the comic was... ;p

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
Objectable said:
I'm just wondering how a woman would cosplay a Liefeld character
http://media.tumblr.com/5569b0ca1c2789609b9fb68096e5205a/tumblr_inline_mgrxm9LWdg1rqftvt.jpg
Step 1: remove the spine
Step 2: ????
Step 3: profit?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Barbas said:

It doesn't help to be just as confrontational as other people. Criticism is a central part of improving as a creator, and voicing said criticism of work (whether it be constructive or "u suk lol") is something anyone is entitled to do when that work is released to the public on the internet. It's up to the creator to pick and choose what criticism they're going to take on board and what isn't worth remembering the minute after they glance over it. Regardless of how constructive the comment you quoted may or may not have been, if there's a large enough consensus that the comic "isn't funny" but is trying to be funny, that's something the creator should evaluate.
"It sucks", they said. Abuse and insults are not criticism and should not be subject to the same attention and respect.

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
Barbas said:
shrekfan246 said:
Barbas said:

"It sucks", they said. Abuse and insults are not criticism and should not be subject to the same attention and respect.
Actually, I think you'll find that as a fellow lover of Da Rules, every post made on this forum should be treated with the same amount of attention and respect. It's right there in the Code of Conduct, even.

Plus, it's just the old "treat others as you wish to be treated" adage; if you want to be dismissive and condescending toward other people, then they're going to start being dismissive and condescending toward you. They pointed out that they didn't think this comic or any of the ones preceding it have been funny, and that is information that can potentially be useful to the creator of the comic, regardless of how much you don't like it or the way it was phrased.

Given the way you've been so adamantly against cynicism on these forums over the past few months, I'm really having a hard time understanding why your apparent solution is to get aggressively cynical (or cynically aggressive) right back at people.

EDIT: In fact, if you had wanted to be constructive, you could have asked why it was the person you quoted thought the comic "sucks", inviting them to expand upon their opinion and actually give useful feedback. Instead, you effectively just said they should go away.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
Barbas said:
shrekfan246 said:
Barbas said:

Actually, I think you'll find that as a fellow lover of Da Rules, every post made on this forum should be treated with the same amount of attention and respect. It's right there in the Code of Conduct, even.

Plus, it's just the old "treat others as you wish to be treated" adage; if you want to be dismissive and condescending toward other people, then they're going to start being dismissive and condescending toward you. They pointed out that they didn't think this comic or any of the ones preceding it have been funny, and that is information that can potentially be useful to the creator of the comic, regardless of how much you don't like it or the way it was phrased.

Given the way you've been so adamantly against cynicism on these forums over the past few months, I'm really having a hard time understanding why your apparent solution is to get aggressively cynical (or cynically aggressive) right back at people.
"Who cares, it sucks either way." That is what was written. That part is not criticism, and it is that part I was referring to. There was no need for it. Cynicism means being habitually mocking, distrustful of other people, contemptuous and sarcastic.

Now, I really don't know why you keep taking up issue with the things I say, shrek, but "aggressive cynicism" it is not. You are either mistaken or deliberately trying to wind me up again, but in either case I've got better things to be doing and so should you. Goodbye.

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
Barbas said:
"Who cares, it sucks either way." That is what was written. That part is not criticism, and it is that part I was referring to. There was no need for it. Cynicism means being habitually mocking, distrustful of other people, contemptuous and sarcastic.

Now, I really don't know why you keep taking up issue with the things I say, shrek, but "aggressive cynicism" it is not. You are either mistaken or deliberately trying to wind me up again, but in either case I've got better things to be doing and so should you. Goodbye.

but "aggressive cynicism" it is not. You are either mistaken or deliberately trying to wind me up again, but in either case I've got better things to be doing and so should you. Goodbye.
Cynicism means being habitually mocking, distrustful of other people, contemptuous and sarcastic.
You have literally just contradicted yourself in your own words; you are being distrustful of my motives and contemptuous and sarcastic toward my methods. I am taking issue with the things you say because you are wielding the banner of idealism while quite possibly being one of the most cynical posters I've ever actually seen on these forums. I am trying to explain to you that your actions are not and have not been helpful in the grand scheme of what it seems like you want to accomplish. Telling people to shut up and go away if they don't like something is not going to actually make anything better. But if you'd rather dodge that and continue to snipe at people who say things you don't like without actually nudging them to improve in any way, then by all means. This is just an internet forum, after all, it's not like anyone has to consider anything said by anyone else. Have a good day. EDIT: For the record, I'm being completely serious. It makes for worse communication overall, but people don't have to listen to each other and that's part of the beauty of internet forums. And I do hope you have a good day.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Corey Schaff said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Irrelevant
Visulth said:
Irrelevant
I don't understand how any of that relates to the statement I made, which was refuting this statement:

Johnny Novgorod said:
If you need to rely more on words than on images to tell a story/joke, comics aren't the medium for you.
As far as I understand your posts, you all seem to agree that this statement is incorrect, and that comics are a medium that does allow for strips which rely more on words than on images. But instead you want to argue something else. Unless you can explain the logical leap that led you to arguing about things that are in no way shape or form implied in the single sentence I wrote, there's not much of a reason to continue dialogue, since you seem to want to construct my arguments for me.
Quote & censor ahead. Cut a man's tongue, you're not proving him a liar.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I'm really struggling to get into this strip but I'll keep reading to see if it develops.

If I was to be critical, I'd say its because the art is pretty poor and the dialogue isn't that great (both aspects in comparison to other strips that have been successful here at Escapist). If it was great art coupled with poor scripts, or great scripts coupled with poor art it could be manageable but this just isn't hitting the spot for me.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Fasckira said:
I'm really struggling to get into this strip but I'll keep reading to see if it develops.

If I was to be critical, I'd say its because the art is pretty poor and the dialogue isn't that great (both aspects in comparison to other strips that have been successful here at Escapist). If it was great art coupled with poor scripts, or great scripts coupled with poor art it could be manageable but this just isn't hitting the spot for me.

I'm in agreement unfortunately. The art style isn't bad, but equally doesn't stand out in any way. Are those people characters or are they merely there to deliver the dialogue? There's no energy or interest in what they're saying or doing.

Whilst "too many words" isn't always a legitimate complaint for comics, it certainly seems to apply here. too many words to deliver a joke that's not funny. I look at this one and feel it would've been better served with the punchline/final panel simply being "I had to come in through the loading dock". Bam, same point conveyed in less space.

It'd be nice to see this develop but from a quick look it appears to have been going in the same vein for a number of years so I'm not holding my breath.