The right to bear arms / Do we really need a survey to tell us this?

Malcheior Sveth

Jul 19, 2009
Slotteh said:
The debate here is how are you going to protect yourself from a gun-toting mugger if you meet one without a gun, in the event that guns are banned.

Here's a clue. If guns are banned, that mugger doesn't have one too.
Right. Because people who commit crimes will be perfect law abiding citizens when it comes to gun laws.

Personally, I think that possession of guns should be perfectly legal, provided you have the proper training to handle them safely. They simply need to make committing any crime with a gun (in other words, everything that isn't self defense or just practice shooting) have extremely severe penalties.

AssButt

Aug 25, 2009
Amoreyna said:
BTW, banning weapons hasn't worked for the major US cities that have tried it. Gun crime has nothing to do with the second amendment, which allows people to legally obtain firearms. Your local criminal isn't going to register a firearm, because it's going to be traced back to him. Illegal weapons is where the problem resides, not in the legally owned ones.
The Supreme Court has actually ruled that criminals don't need to register their guns because it would be a form of self-incrimination.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Percutio said:
Also maybe a little scary to have accurate gangsters (Harharhar).
Would it? Perhaps this is a silly thought, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a good thing if the gangsters were shooting the other gangsters- as opposed to a human-shaped silhouette around said gangster. Perhaps there would be fewer civilian deaths. Just struck me as an interesting thought.

Sparcrypt

Oct 17, 2007
AssButt said:
A responsible individual knows to avoid trouble whenever possible but sometimes that isn't enough. And yes, it does make sense that you don't need training to own a gun. I'm not sure where people are getting the notion that accidental gun deaths are a big issue but the mortality rate from negligently handling guns falls somewhere between drowning and choking. If you're afraid of your kid gaining access to your gun, then keep it on your person. This is assuming that you didn't teach your kid safe gun handling.
What? You think people don't need training to own a gun? Sorry, that's idiotic. And no matter what you teach kids, there's still the possibility of them doing something stupid - they're KIDS.

Also, how is throwing a phone at an assailant going to incapacitate him? You're more likely to anger him by doing so resulting in him beating/stabbing/shooting you.
No, I would throw something because I know actual self defense techniques, and a fast moving object will cause an attacker to focus on that even for a second, giving me a chance to get to them and cause them serious hurt. If I hit them, fantastic! But that wasn't the point, it's just part of fairly basic self defense. I can also disarm someone who has a knife/gun/whatever.. these are things learned from years of training and I prefer it infinitely over just having a deadly weapon lying around.

I know how to use a gun, have done since I was young and am not anti-guns. But I still maintain the general population has no reason to own one for 'self defense'.

As for you mistakenly shooting your roommate, if this does happen, it means that you've violated all four rules of firearm safety which most gun owners have ingrained in them.
My point there is that in order to be safe you CANNOT ACT without significant delay while you assess the situation and decide if a weapon is called for. I do not have this problem because I'm not aiming to kill them, just incapacitate them. If a dumbarsed friend of mine gets hurt cause of it, I don't mind... but I'd rather not shoot them.

Plus a minute ago you were happy for gun owned to buy weapons without any training whatsoever, now they all know the rules? If every gun owner had to go through a strict screening process and undergo adequate training I wouldn't any issues. My problem is not that people can get guns, it's that people can get guns far too easily when they are NOT the ideal solution for 99% of the population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_massacre - this is a perfect example. That kid went and purchased two weapons while being mentally unstable and proceeded to kill 32 people. Nice to see the costs incurred protecting his constitutional rights to bear arms. Changes were made yes, but not in time to save those people.

It does happen on occasions but it isn't fair to punish everyone else because of this. Do you have a problem with police carrying guns? It's also worthy of mention that police officers are around five times more likely to misidentify someone as a suspect than a civilian because police are almost never around when the crime happens. It is also not uncommon for police to be less trained than the average civilian. Police officers not interested in guns often fire their weapon only once or twice a year during qualification.
Again, you're mistaking me for an anti-gun person. I stress that I'm not. However, if tighter gun control stopped 32 people being shot in virginia, would I take away your guns? You bet I would.

British police do not carry guns yet they manage their jobs very well.. this might not work everywhere, but it proves it can be done.

I also would not say police are less trained then an 'average' civilian. Maybe some, maybe most that you know even, but definitely not 'average'.

Also, you've probably heard the statistic that over 80% of self-defense doesn't involve a single shot being fired, hardly life and death. Criminals often run at the sign of (effective) resistance because their number one priority is to survive and there are a lot of other easier prey.
Indeed... but what happens when those 80% of situations, both parties have guns? A criminal is a lot more likely to shoot you if they think you're going to shoot them. I would rather have them take my money and leave then get shot trying to keep it, or beat them senseless for trying in the first place. Once you bring out deadly force you better hope someone backs down or else someone is probably going to die.

Aside from this, I agree with the rest of your post and that is very important to remember. Situational awareness trumps self-defense because self-defense is only damage control whereas situational awareness avoids the problem all together. However, if you are unlucky enough, self-defense may be your last resort.
In this we agree, I simply prefer that my body is my defense choice rather then a weapon designed solely to kill. You can kill with your body yes.. but your choices are much wider.

Rahnzan

Oct 13, 2008
Sexy Street said:
I think i have a theory for the reason of the right to bear arms. I think that if the government becomes sooooo out of control, (Obama anyone?) that people have a right to go in and...kill the leader? Yah...thats it.
Fixed your typo.

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
its pretty sad that America is still arguing against stuff that the rest of the world figured out a long time ago.

metric system, health care, rational gun laws. Oh, Amuricu.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
CheeseFlareUK said:
What? B
Simalacrum said:
my response is "well duh?" to the article. Honestly, the best way to solve gun crime is to BAN GUNS. Learn from Britain, America, not even the police wear guns here! Instead we have knife crime... lots, and lots of knifing.
Ban guns? Don't be an idiot. If we ban guns, that only keeps them out of the hands of honest people.
opposite way round! banning guns makes it harder for dishonest people to acquire them, since stores and whatnot don't sell them to the public in the first place.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Sparcrypt said:
Again, you're mistaking me for an anti-gun person. I stress that I'm not. However, if tighter gun control stopped 32 people being shot in virginia, would I take away your guns? You bet I would.
The campus didn't have universal armament, it had universal disarmament. And 32 people were shot. This is exactly the kind of scenario pro-gun types claim will happen when you 'take away' their guns. It's exactly what they claim will happen, and it played out in exactly the way they say it will. I think this is making their case for them.

Sparcrypt

Oct 17, 2007
Rooster Cogburn said:
Sparcrypt, although you point to armed defense as Hollywood fiction, I don't find your scenario here any more plausible. I don't think you can be even reasonably certain of this scenario- I don't think your average marine could do this. I'm imagining myself throwing a telephone and then getting bludgeoned to death with a pipe. You may be tough, but I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm of the opinion that no one should own any firearm they are not trained to use and maintain (as in, they shouldn't buy it- I wouldn't prevent them from doing so). You make an extremely important point about self defense and the tools thereof, but I don't think your conclusion follows from that point.
Don't underestimate that kind of thing, you would be surprised how effective simply charging shoulder-first into someone can be, especially when they're not expecting it. People think self defense is some dark art of uber skill and precision when really the sheer basics of it are very simple and very effective - you don't need to be Bruce Lee.

First off, if something is around to throw, throw it. Hitting the person isn't the point, distracting them is... if you DO hit them, great! While they look/duck/get hit/laugh/WHATEVER you're leaping up and charging right at them. You hit someone 5 times your size right in their center it's gonna hurt.. then either leg it or beat the crap out of them, whatever you can do.

My point was that learning to defend yourself properly is much more effective then just 'having a gun', especially when you haven't trained with THAT properly either.

Make no mistake, what I suggested might not work and would of course be very situational, it might even make things worse... but it's a damn sight better then trying to draw a gun on someone.

THAC0

Aug 12, 2009
Percutio said:
THAC0 said:
its pretty sad that America is still arguing against stuff that the rest of the world figured out a long time ago.

metric system, health care, rational gun laws. Oh, Amuricu.
You know what, it's pretty sad that you still blame us for being us.

Except for the metric thing. That is pretty retarded even to me.
i can't help it, i just blame stupid people for being stupid.

AssButt

Aug 25, 2009
Sparcrypt said:
AssButt said:
A responsible individual knows to avoid trouble whenever possible but sometimes that isn't enough. And yes, it does make sense that you don't need training to own a gun. I'm not sure where people are getting the notion that accidental gun deaths are a big issue but the mortality rate from negligently handling guns falls somewhere between drowning and choking. If you're afraid of your kid gaining access to your gun, then keep it on your person. This is assuming that you didn't teach your kid safe gun handling.
What? You think people don't need training to own a gun? Sorry, that's idiotic. And no matter what you teach kids, there's still the possibility of them doing something stupid - they're KIDS.

Also, how is throwing a phone at an assailant going to incapacitate him? You're more likely to anger him by doing so resulting in him beating/stabbing/shooting you.
No, I would throw something because I know actual self defense techniques, and a fast moving object will cause an attacker to focus on that even for a second, giving me a chance to get to them and cause them serious hurt. If I hit them, fantastic! But that wasn't the point, it's just part of fairly basic self defense. I can also disarm someone who has a knife/gun/whatever.. these are things learned from years of training and I prefer it infinitely over just having a deadly weapon lying around.

I know how to use a gun, have done since I was young and am not anti-guns. But I still maintain the general population has no reason to own one for 'self defense'.

As for you mistakenly shooting your roommate, if this does happen, it means that you've violated all four rules of firearm safety which most gun owners have ingrained in them.
My point there is that in order to be safe you CANNOT ACT without significant delay while you assess the situation and decide if a weapon is called for. I do not have this problem because I'm not aiming to kill them, just incapacitate them. If a dumbarsed friend of mine gets hurt cause of it, I don't mind... but I'd rather not shoot them.

Plus a minute ago you were happy for gun owned to buy weapons without any training whatsoever, now they all know the rules? If every gun owner had to go through a strict screening process and undergo adequate training I wouldn't any issues. My problem is not that people can get guns, it's that people can get guns far too easily when they are NOT the ideal solution for 99% of the population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_massacre - this is a perfect example. That kid went and purchased two weapons while being mentally unstable and proceeded to kill 32 people. Nice to see the costs incurred protecting his constitutional rights to bear arms. Changes were made yes, but not in time to save those people.

It does happen on occasions but it isn't fair to punish everyone else because of this. Do you have a problem with police carrying guns? It's also worthy of mention that police officers are around five times more likely to misidentify someone as a suspect than a civilian because police are almost never around when the crime happens. It is also not uncommon for police to be less trained than the average civilian. Police officers not interested in guns often fire their weapon only once or twice a year during qualification.

British police do not carry guns yet they manage their jobs very well.. this might not work everywhere, but it proves it can be done.

I also would not say police are less trained then an 'average' civilian. Maybe some, maybe most that you know even, but definitely not 'average'.

Also, you've probably heard the statistic that over 80% of self-defense doesn't involve a single shot being fired, hardly life and death. Criminals often run at the sign of (effective) resistance because their number one priority is to survive and there are a lot of other easier prey.
Indeed... but what happens when those 80% of situations, both parties have guns? A criminal is a lot more likely to shoot you if they think you're going to shoot them. I would rather have them take my money and leave then get shot trying to keep it, or beat them senseless for trying in the first place. Once you bring out deadly force you better hope someone backs down or else someone is probably going to die.

Aside from this, I agree with the rest of your post and that is very important to remember. Situational awareness trumps self-defense because self-defense is only damage control whereas situational awareness avoids the problem all together. However, if you are unlucky enough, self-defense may be your last resort.
In this we agree, I simply prefer that my body is my defense choice rather then a weapon designed solely to kill. You can kill with your body yes.. but your choices are much wider.
No I don't think people need training to own guns because there currently is no requirement for training to own a gun and accidents/abuse by law abiding citizens isn't really an issue anywhere in the US. Just because there is no legal requirement doesn't mean that we're a bunch of drunken irresponsible loonies. It is possible to learn things without having an authority figure teach them to you. And didn't you specify you learned how to use a gun when you were young, do overgeneralizations not apply to you?

So how many assailants have you managed to disarm? If they were competent, it's only a matter of time before something goes wrong. Even if you are an übermensch who can incapacitate someone just by yelling at them really loudly, the rest of us aren't. And frankly, why should we be rewarding criminals by just instinctively giving them what they want? What if what they want involves raping your wife or daughter?

Also, that 80% statistic does involve a gun so I'm not really sure where you're getting at with the whole escalation thing because this isn't a theoretical number, it is the number found in studies.

Mathurin

Jul 1, 2008
thebrainiac1 said:
Hey Guys.

Today in my email I received this [http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17922-carrying-a-gun-increases-risk-of-getting-shot-and-killed.html?DCMP=NLC-nletter&nsref=dn17922] article.

For those who can't be bothered to read it, it's a New Scientist article about how the likelihood of being shot increases more than fourfold when you carry a gun than when you don't.

First of all, I think that this shows how stupid it is for normal people to get hold of a license to carry a weapon so easily in America, when all it does is increase levels of gun crime and related fatalities.

Secondly, I can't believe that we need a survey to tell us this. If I were a criminal, if someone counters my activities with a gun themselves, I will not be worried about shooting back at them. If no-one interrupts with a gun, no-one gets shot (hopefully). So the robbery still happens and someone has been shot, potentially fatally.
This is why American police have to carry guns, because all of the criminals carry guns and so they need to be able to properly defend themselves.

What are your thoughts?
Did you pay attention to the study?

Its conclusion is based on poor methodology, they start with the dead and make conclusions about the living, except it doesnt work that way, you dont start with dead bodies and calculate for gun carrying, you end up with lots of criminals (ie, people who were on their way to the morgue no matter what they carried) in your sample, skewing the results.
note how no attempt is made to class those who carry guns as "legal" or "illegal" carriers, this would show the obvious cause of those deaths.

In the end this is another of those studies designed to find what it wants to, and attempt to blame guns
what it proves is: crime is a dangerous life

If you want to prove that carrying guns is dangerous, then presumably any sample population will do, so choose a group of concealed carry license holders (citizens who are legally allowed to carry a concealed weapon) and follow them for a couple of years, compare them to a control group chosen to reflect the demographics of the sample. if carrying a firearm is the cause of the danger then the license holders will be in more danger, however, the study will never be done, because it will show that carrying a firearm is not significantly more dangerous if done properly.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
I may or may not write and Edit after I read the whole thread. And that study was an excellent example of what not to do in a scientific study.

The 2nd Amendment was written to allow America to better organize a militia in the event of an invasion. The whole "protecting my property" was for expelling invading soldiers.

A gun would only help you if you have the element of surprise, in a self-defense situation. This would only happen in your own home, assuming that you walk around packing heat in your own home. I also don't agree with people who say, when commenting on a crime "If s/he was carrying a gun...." If everyone carried a gun, a criminal would just shoot you, or stab you, and take your money before you had a chance to attack. Gangs would resort to using automatics or silencers exclusively, and so would the cops.

Another thing people tend to say is, "If the cops can be armed, why can't I?" They're cops, law-enforces have to have some sort of advantage over citizens in order to enforce the law. If we carried flintlocks, they'd carry revolvers. If we have revolvers, they have semiautomatics. If we have semiautos, they'd have M-16s. Police brutality is an unfortunate side-effect, but anarchy would be worse.

Not that I'm anti-gun, or pro-gun. We should at least be able to carry single-shooters.

Mathurin

Jul 1, 2008
Simalacrum said:
CheeseFlareUK said:
What? B
Simalacrum said:
my response is "well duh?" to the article. Honestly, the best way to solve gun crime is to BAN GUNS. Learn from Britain, America, not even the police wear guns here! Instead we have knife crime... lots, and lots of knifing.
Ban guns? Don't be an idiot. If we ban guns, that only keeps them out of the hands of honest people.
opposite way round! banning guns makes it harder for dishonest people to acquire them, since stores and whatnot don't sell them to the public in the first place.
Which is exactly why gun deaths are nonexistent in countries which ban them.............
And why no guns which are currently illegal in the US are ever found inside the US borders.....

Oh, wait

We share 2 giant unsecured borders, one with a very poor nation with easy links to former soviet supported nations (an excellent source for USSR weaponry) and one with massive wilderness borders to the sea. Smuggling things into the US is not that tough, if you make guns illegal, guns will be smuggled in in the same way drugs are currently smuggled in.

You cannot un-invent something, especially in a day and age when a hobbyist machinist can make a full auto SMG

Sparcrypt

Oct 17, 2007
Percutio said:
I feel like renting an air balloon and massacring people by dropping pennies from distant heights.

Then we should rid the U.S.A. of pennies, not because they are not needed, but because they are ruthless tools that can be used to kill. I think that penny use requires more training because this Percutio guy killed 60 people with pennies because PENNIES ARE EASY TO GET. It has nothing to do with the fact that if Percutio killed 60 people with pennies then chances are he was BATSHIT CRAZY. Still, I blame the pennies.
Uhuh - now replace the pennies with a weapon DESIGNED to kill people and you haven't killed 60, you've killed a thousand.

Don't be stupid.

Rooster Cogburn said:
The campus didn't have universal armament, it had universal disarmament. And 32 people were shot. This is exactly the kind of scenario pro-gun types claim will happen when you 'take away' their guns. It's exactly what they claim will happen, and it played out in exactly the way they say it will. I think this is making their case for them.
Because all those gun owners would NEVER have panicked under fire and thought one of their fellow defenders was the guy they needed to shoot? Noone would have heard shots, hidden in a room and shot the first person to walk in? Noone would have missed in a panic, sending bullets into fleeing innocents? It would have been perfect, the guy would have started shooting, but moments later, the heroic gun owners would have pulled out their weapons and ended the threat calmly before dialing 911 and going about their day? Right?

'Gun owners' are not soldiers. They are not trained to undergo firefights. As I said before, plenty of soldiers and innocents in Iraq have been fired upon BY THEIR OWN SIDE, and those people ARE trained for those situations.

Am I against law enforcement carrying weapons? No. Am I against off duty soldiers, ex FBI or other people who have the training/experience and the mentality required to be able to carry a firearm and be counted on to end a threat and defend themselves and others? No.

I am against the general population whom have no combat training carrying deadly weapons with no idea what to do in a situation like that and are likely to make things worse.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
I am going to post this link and let it speak for itself. Civilians with guns are by no means a bad thing. We have the right to defend ourselves, and this right has saved many innocent lives.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32426383/

If the shop keeper had not had access to a weapon, the headline would have read differently.

I'm also sick of self-righteous jackasses saying that, "Americans are stupid because they can (and enjoy) being able to have guns." Seriously... Grow up and worry about your own country. It's part of our culture - Deal with it. There's nothing wrong with guns in the hands of responsible people.