The Rise of the Disposable Designer Toy

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
The Rise of the Disposable Designer Toy

The hobby of papercraft has a surprisingly weird origin story.

Read Full Article

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Great article! Girlfriend made me a little Captain Picard papercraft thingy but it was one of those print-and-fold templates. Would be ace to be able to make the custom ones.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Lady Kathleen said:
Formica Archonis said:
Uhh, the e-mail address link at the bottom is geborken:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/[email protected]
If you want to email me it's kathleen at loadingreadyrun dot com
I HAVE FIXD IT SO ALL OF THE SPAMS SHOULD NOW BE GOING TOWARDS YOU

(I can break it up if you actually don't want the mailto link to work)

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Wow, this is Kathleen's first article? Really?

I've seen a bunch of papercraft figures that I wanted to make, but I figured that most of them were above my skill level. Maybe it's more accessible than I thought!

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
paper-craft has too-many limits for my liking, now Card-craft.. that's another story

I made a fully articulated Mechwarrior 4 vulture in card once, it stood around 1 meter tall
( depending on the pose )
and had the exact poly dimensions of the one in the game, which is to say not very many.

and for anyone that doesn't know what a vulture looks like, i found someone's paper-craft one:

http://www.tektonten.blogspot.com/2010/04/mechwarrior-4-vulture-papercraft.html

it's so twee.

Lady Kathleen

Space Cowboy
Oct 8, 2009
UNHchabo said:
Sort of. I actually trained to be a writer when I got out of school but got a little sidetracked after I graduated.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Lady Kathleen said:
UNHchabo said:
Sort of. I actually trained to be a writer when I got out of school but got a little sidetracked after I graduated.
Please don't take my post as saying anything about your writing skill; my wording makes it sound like I thought you couldn't write.

I was merely surprised that this was your first article at the Escapist, because I could've sworn I've read more of your material here.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Well, it's not rocket science, for me it's seems too easy and not challenging enough. In a sense it's the poor man's gundam. It's definitely accessible though......after all, who can't fold papers?

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
this was really interesting! i've been kind of sort of helping two friends of mine make papercraft armor for an anime convention, so i've learned a little about it, but i didn't realize there was so much story to it. hope to see more from you, i like your writing style.

also, i followed that link to your tumblr comic. why is it only annika that hates things?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Interesting article. I started having a go at Paperscraft months ago, making MLP:FiM models since the UK has yet to release the toys at that time (I have no interest at the brushable hairs versions). It took abit of trials and error but I getting the hang of it so it's nice having the ponies I liked on my drawers.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Interesting article. I started having a go at Paperscraft months ago, making MLP:FiM models since the UK has yet to release the toys at that time (I have no interest at the brushable hairs versions). It took abit of trials and error but I getting the hang of it so it's nice having the ponies I liked on my drawers.
I feel your pain!

As such I made a Papercraft Doctor Whooves!

I'm paper now, paper is cool!

Preacher zer0

Jun 13, 2010
ExtraDebit said:
Well, it's not rocket science, for me it's seems too easy and not challenging enough. In a sense it's the poor man's gundam. It's definitely accessible though......after all, who can't fold papers?
Pretty shortsighted comment.

There are some seriously complex models out there... the material used to construct them has no bearing on the difficulty (try the infamous Howls Castle build)... I mean you mention Gundam models, but who can't stick a few bits of preshaped plastic together?

Like I said, the material is irrelevant to the complexity/difficulty of the model.