The Rumors of Batman: Arkham City's Multiplayer Are Greatly Exaggerated

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Okey, I am sort of mixed concerning this.

No Coop? Damn. It would have been awesome to have some unlockable Coop with an asskicking and equally dark and gritty hero (no Robin, thank you). As long as it stayed true to the Dark-knight feel of the game - and let's admit it, Robin was always a bit too campy to fit into modern Batman - it would have felt great.

No Multiplayer? Seriously, could anyone imagine a multiplayer game with these fighting-controls, or how the characters would be? You would have 16 Batman (Batmen?) on one map, even if they actually managed to work in ten other playable heroes, which they wouldn't.

For if you could kick ass playing in a dark Gotham DC-universe as a crusader of the night, who in their right mind wouldn't pick Batman?

Dwachak

Sep 27, 2009
Yahtzee strikes a other blow to the corporate machine! I can so imagine him with a gun to Hills face while the statement was being made :)

I really enjoy good singleplayer, and you can really feel when games are made entirely with that in mind.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
I wont be satisfied until full story-mode co-op experiences are the norm and my partner and I can enjoy them all together as we should.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
How would a deathmatch even work? We would all stand around in a circle waiting to parry each other.

Anyway, I HIGHLY respect Rocksteady for holding back the urge to not put in a hastily thrown together multiplayer mode to try to increase sales. Too many developers seem to think that a multiplayer mode makes up for large single player deficiencies.

Jumwa said:
I wont be satisfied until full story-mode co-op experiences are the norm and my partner and I can enjoy them all together as we should.
Co-op is nice, but do you really think Bioshock or the good Silent Hill games would have been improved with a tacked on co-op mode?

Jeralt2100

Jun 9, 2010
I'm very happy that they decided to focus on the quality of the single-player story rather than putting resources toward multiplayer and winding up with a game that's only good instead of truly great. Now all they have to do is show that the effort was actually worth it by delivering a better game than the first one. :)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Jumwa said:
Only then you're having to build entire should-be-single-player campaigns around that idea and playing into a smaller audience.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Woodsey said:
Only then you're having to build entire should-be-single-player campaigns around that idea and playing into a smaller audience.
The notion that gaming SHOULD be a primary solitary activity seems foreign to me, and though it's the norm for "core" gamers, I'd wager most of the potential market for games are social rather than solitary players.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I find that an admirable quality in a development studio.
A group of people who're more interested in bulking out and making the actual game experience the best it can be.

For the Multiplayer, I can't say I'm overly cut-up about it...
Sure, me and the missus enjoy playing Co-op but forcing a scenario where Batman and Joker team up is just silly.

And as the above mentioned missus has just pointed out:

'Whoever would've played Robin would have just been the Tails of Arkham City...'

So, yeah...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That last paragraph sums up a lot of things, more than just my feelings.

Still, if done RIGHT, I think a game like with with co-op (and only co-op) would be awesome. Combo links and everything.

GrammarLad

Oct 4, 2010
Good on him, when you have a solid single player game, why would you want to make a watered down CO OP version?
*Cough*Resident Evil 5*cough

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Joshimodo said:
No co-op? Boo!

No multiplayer? Wooohooo!
I understand what you mean by the distinction between the two, but Co-Op IS a form of a multiplayer.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
YAY! No Coop/ multiplayer!!

I don't really have a major thing against multiplayer except that it's never local anymore. My internet connection being what it is, I am never really able to experience multiplayer so it's good to see that not everyone is making games where I know I'll be missing out of a percentage of the game.

I am wondering if Arkham Asylum will take the Assassin's Creed road. Arkham Asylum; Arkham City; Arkham City: Sidekicks(?) the mostly multiplayer one in which Batman is helped by Nightwing and, Robin to do ploty-plot-plot-things.

HellspawnCandy

Oct 29, 2009
God co-op would be awful, just imagine enjoying the scenery then having someone get mad at you for not following along. Or if it's like borderlands, having this random person do everything and not speak a word.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Rocksteady, you have just been bumped to my "List of Developers to Support" list, at least until I get my hands on the inevitably awesome Arkham City. I have real respect for a developer that sticks to their single-player guns and doesn't tack on multiplayer because it's the hip thing to do now. Kudos to you guys.

Rallion

Aug 10, 2009
Co-op would be terrible. Stealth sequences just wouldn't work.

Glad to hear they aren't shoehorning it in.