The Safe haven thread: Talk about anything

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Not The Bees said:
I recently read Yahtzee's book Jam. I'm thinking of getting Mogworld. I haven't decided yet if I want to or not.
I'm thinking on buying it, is it good? I've read some nice reviews and the idea of a black humour apocalypse story interests me.

On topic: My brother just changed my video card for a beefier one. I'm gonna try it tomorrow with Planetside 2 and Arkham City. Can't right now, gotta get to Uni early to print a theology paper we got assigned.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Caiphus said:
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
As in I don't play multiplayer at all, that PS2 session was the first time in months I've went up against people instead of bots or AI from single player campaigns.

And yes, an Aussie server so expect lots of Australian accents.
Ooooh, I see. So presumably you have to be playing multiplayer for your actions to count for anything in the game world?

For a second I thought it may have had a Warframe-esque format (which I rather enjoyed) where you could play single-player or private multiplayer, while still maintaining a connection to the Internet, and contribute to guilds/alliances in the comfort of your own private bubble.

And there's nothing wrong with Aussies. Love them. They're so adorbs.
There is no private servers (or at least ones I can access as a F2P noob) so everything bar a simple tutorial is done on one of 4 massive maps.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
There is no private servers (or at least ones I can access as a F2P noob) so everything bar a simple tutorial is done on one of 4 massive maps.
I see. Well, still, if there is an Aussie server then I might check it out after all. Thanks for the information :D

LegendaryVKickr

Jul 20, 2012
Well...I mean, I tried anal today. Yupp. Just throwing that out there. While high.

School starts for me tomorrow as well. So I need to get some sleep. Sigh...I have been trying to get around to finishing Watch_Dogs for two weeks now...I got it a month ago and have hardly touched it. This is the same person who plowed through the entire Mass Effect Trilogy in two weeks, mind you. With school starting, and Watch_Dogs being fairly mediocre IMO, I may end up shelving it.

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
I am fighting very hard to resist the urge to purchase more small plastic shapeshifting robots, due to the need to conserve funds in the face of what may be a tight Q4 at work. This is not helped in the slightest by the fact that some shameless tempter has been sharing pictures of a new Brainstorm mold [http://tfwiki.net/wiki/File:Generations_30_voyager_Brainstrom.jpg], a character who has grown on me ever since the Transformers IDW run of comics played his hyperactive scientific curiosity to the hilt. He's basically a genius of vague moral standards with ADHD, and he's supposed to be one of the good guys. I dig that kind of character dichotomy with the fairly clean image the 80's Transformers used to have, and this new toy doesn't look too shabby either.

That aside, I am thoroughly enjoying some of the offerings at GOG. I finally decided to see what the deal was about Painkiller given how Yahtzee talks it up and bought it for a couple of dollars earlier this year. I've so far found it to be a bucket of unsophisticated laughs, especially once I figured out how the grappling hook function on the Painkiller blade works. Enemies stop being problems to overcome and start being the night's unwilling entertainment when I can casually yank them off their feet from across the room at Mach 2, like I'm playing Just Cause 2 and just chained them to a passing car.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
Recently started playing Ys: Memories of Celceta that's been sat on my shelf since I bought it in America at the start of July and loving it. So much so that I just bought one of the Ys PSP titles from the store in preparation of finishing this one. I also have Disgaea 4 coming in the post today so my Vita's seeing a lot of use. I've also got The Wonderful 101 on order but I'm not sure whether I'm going to love it or hate it.

In non-gaming news I'm loving my car that I was given at the start of June. At first I was stingy about its use since petrol doesn't come cheap here but I've filled it up once when I got it and I'm still on a quarter tank so things are going pretty well.

Wan Shi Tong

Sep 2, 2014
I'm finally realizing that if I want to be happy with my career, it's going to have to involve video games in some way.

Not that I'm not competent in other fields, it's just that for the first time I'm admitting that my passion is for video games. I'm a halfway decent writer, I would like to think, and I revel every moment I spend in classes at my University. With that in mind I took some "me" time to try and think how all of my separate skills can combine into one whole.

On the other hand, I'm contemplating if it even matters if I am happy in my career. After all, I could always come home to the Escapist and my games after work.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Deciding to eat what for dinner last night was a real ball ache: I really fancied putting some burgers on the grill, but alas, I had none. I then decided that a sausage sandwich wouldn't be so bad, but once again, i had none. Rooting around the cupboards and fridge revealed that in total, i had bread, eggs, bacon, spagetti and some pasta. Pasta was immediately off the table (I hate the stuff, but my sister likes it), and so was spagetti, as that is what i eat most mornings for breakfast. That left bacon, bread and eggs to make something with. Now, the obvious choice would be a bacon and egg sandwich, but I had that for lunch. Could I really eat it again for dinner?

After much deliberation and rooting around for a hidden burger or sausage packet, I relented. I need some more variety in my food.

AlphaAscalon

Dec 13, 2011
[Kira Must Die said:
]Well, I recently got around to watching Sword Art Online II.

And wow, it's way better than the first season, and I actually liked the first season (I thought both the SAO arc and the ALO arc has their equal share of pros and cons.) I'd even go as far to say if you didn't like the first season, you might like this one better, or at the very least you might hate it less. Well, if you hate Kirito than it might not change your mind about him, but I'm perfectly fine with him and enjoys seeing him fight and win, and Sinon is probably my favorite female character in the entire series.
I'm enjoying Sword Art Online II. It's certainly better than season 1, with it's character exploration and pacing. I've been avoiding spoilers of any kind so I don't know if it's going to be split in half like the first season. Though I hope not. Not sure if I could choose between Asuna and Sinon in a best girl contest.

Hmm. I've been playing a lot of Endless Legend at the moment. It's a 4x strategy game made by the same developers as Endless Space. It's in early access alpha/beta but it's totally worth breaking any rules on only buying full release games. It's shaping up to be the best 4x strategy game I've ever played.

It avoids the mid-late game slog that Civilization games can get stuck in where you just press End Turn over and over. Each faction has a storyline with a series of Quests that prompt the player into exploring, expanding and sometimes starting wars or making treaties with other factions. There's also general quests that you can receive when you search ruins.

Anyone else out there playing EL?

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
My ferret Milou was sick, and throwing up, so I was worried.

But now I'm happy to report she seems to be fine.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

I've been writing on my research thesis for over four months now, and it's still not close to finishing. If this goes on like this, I don't know if I'll ever finish my master. Hell, I always thought that I'd just do research, but if my second internship goes just like this, I'll just have to acknowledge this is not my thing.

In brighter news: I've finally started playing Xcom: Enemy unknown. I really like it, but I think I kind of fucked up. It's at the end of the second month, I finally finished my laser weapon research, but I still cannot make any of those things because I haven't the resources nor the engineers to do so. On the bright side: I did get through the first terror mission easily. Snipers with squad sight and +10 aim and crit when on high ground? The rest of my units are kind of lagging though, hoping for some more urban missions where assaults are a bit more useful.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I've been writing and reading mostly My Little Pony fanfiction, and playing pinball.

Seriously, check this out.[footnote]This link goes to pinball. PM me if you want MLP fanfiction, so I don't annoy anyone here with it. Even after the run's already completely over, people still get worked up about it, on both sides. That just makes me sad.[/footnote]

Mimic

Jul 22, 2014
Gaming-wise I'm nearing the end of my Dark Souls 2 playthrough with my second character (gave up on my first character for now) and will be looking at playing New Game+ which I hear is a little different. I'm also extremely near the end of Fire Emblem: Awakening which I have been enjoying a lot.

Gaming aside, I've been reading and started a new painting (I paint wildlife, pets etc)which is looking pretty good so far. I just completed a dormouse handling course at the weekend as I'm looking to do some surveying in the future- the baby dormice were so cute.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Just got home, about to check the new previews for the new Magic; The Gathering set. Hoping for some new awesome Temur or Jeskai cards.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Super psyched for Destiny, and I have been checking out some old PS1 games in the meantime, namely Parasite Eve and Mega Man Legends 2.

Also I have discovered the true insidious evil of World of Warcraft. I decided to play on my sibling's account and before I know it I've got two lvl 20 toons and have bought the base game for myself. Its such a bad game, but I. can't. stop. playing. D:

Also also, thanks for the thread OP, we need more of these.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Trying to get followers on Twitter so I have an excuse to use it.

3 years and 0 followers.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Padwolf said:
I have a job interview on the 24th of this month for a job I really so very much want (Hospital Ward Admin) and I'm so very excited because I hadn't heard back from them for weeks and thought that I had been rejected. Then suddenly job interview. I'm so happy.
That happened to me last year, I applied for the job in November 2012 and never heard anything back so assumed that I hadn't even got through to the interview section. Then in February last year I got called for the interview...which I was 20 minutes late for...somehow must have wowed them at the interview for that not to matter and within 2 months had moved to a new town and new job. Well, same job just full time. Having worked here for a year and a half, I have seen how slowly everything happens when it comes to employing new staff, so I'm not surprised it took so long to hear anything back.

Inglorious891 said:
Mario Kart 8.

I've never played a Mario Kart game before, so part of the reason for my pain is the fact that I'm pretty terrible, but is common to get hit by 4 shells in a row, then bumped off the track damn near once every prix?
Yes. Yes it is, the Mario Kart that was released on the Wii was pretty much unplayable for me because no matter what you did, the rubber banding AI would screw you over. Getting into first wasn't so much the problem, it was staying there that was the hard part. I would get hit with shells, squids, boom blocks and anything else the game could throw at me to screw me out of my win. One of the worst games I've ever played. I played Mario Kart 8 on a Wii U in GAME recently and while I will admit the rubber banding was still there, it wasn't as bad as the Wii version.

Its a shame, I used to really enjoy it on the Snes and N64 when winning was down to your racing skills as well as a bit of luck.

Gizmo1990 said:
I have a cat called Gizmo (I've not named him after you don't worry, I'm not that much of a stalker). I was wondering if anyone else had a pet with the same name as a boardie?

Anyway...I am almost finished with A Clash of Kings and have A Storm of Swords ready to go. I don't actually want to finish A Clash of Kings for a weird reason, I have enjoyed reading it so much. More than the first one anyway, which like Game of Thrones the TV show is a bit slow to get going.

I had a dream last night where I was effectively stalking Ritzy Brian from The Joy Formidable at a music festival. She was always happy to see me though, I have a feeling the real Ritzy would be quite sarcastic about all the chance meetings though. And scared.

I really need a new shower head, anyone got any idea which one I should buy?