The Safe haven thread: Talk about anything

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I am sick and fucking tired of Quinn, Sarkesein and SJW topics so this will be a safe haven.

Post anyting you want to talk about. A game you have been playing, a movie you just watched, a book you are reading or just somthing random that poped into your head, there is just one rule you cannot post ANYTING about all the bullshit that has been happening in the last few weeks. If you want to talk about that there are 100 other threads open right now.

For myself I just finished the books in the Bartimaeus Sequence and I loved them, althrough I could have done with less Nathaniel POV chapters. I know you are not ment to like him all that much but next to Bartimaeus, he was just kind of boring.

I also just got round to installing Borderlands 2 on my PC. I had it on the PS3 but steam had the GotY edition on sale and now that I have the DLC I cannot choose what character to go for. I have already played the Siren and Zero so any sugestions for who I shold pick next out of the other original 2 and the DLC 2 would be helpfull.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I've been reading Joe Abercrombie's series The First Law. Pretty good series so far, nice action, great tension/suspense, and pretty solid story so far. I've been trying to read more, so I just picked one of the series I haven't read yet off my shelf.

I'm also pretty excited that The Walking Dead season 4 is coming to Netflix this month. I've heard it's the best season so far.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I recently saw the new Godzilla.

That movie would've been pretty awesome if Aaron Taylor-Johnson wasn't the main character.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
How far did you get into the story? If you complete it then tried Tiny Tina Assult on Dungeon Keep, it's a good one but the plot revolved on something that happened in the story so it is spoiler.

As for the characters, try Axton. I find him to be quite a durable guy thanks to his turret and a good support on co op (turret does the work while you get do something else like sniping or healing etc).

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Casual Shinji said:

That movie would've been pretty awesome if Aaron Taylor-Johnson wasn't the main character.
Could not agree more. I did not think he was bad, it was worse than that. he was boring. I could also have used more Godzilla in the movie but what there was of him was great.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
How far did you get into the story? If you complete it then tried Tiny Tina Assult on Dungeon Keep, it's a good one but the plot revolved on something that happened in the story so it is spoiler.

As for the characters, try Axton. I find him to be quite a durable guy thanks to his turret and a good support on co op (turret does the work while you get do something else like sniping or healing etc).
I have completed the game on PS3 so spoilers are not a problem. I will be playing alot of co op soon so I will check what class my friends want. Thanks for the suggestion.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Anybody else here a fan of Sid Meier's Railroads!? I swear it's the most fun you can have with your pantaloons on.

EDIT: If you've got the Mechromancer, I'd go with her.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
Casual Shinji said:

Could not agree more. I did not think he was bad, it was worse than that. he was boring. I could also have used more Godzilla in the movie but what there was of him was great.
I think all the Godzilla stuff was handled fine. If you're doing a realistic take you kind of want the monsters' epic size to remain fresh, so it's a good idea not to over-show them.

The real problem is that Cranston is so obviously set up as the main character, but then, well... you know. He's the guy who's given sufficient motivation to investigate and pursue the monsters. Him getting shafted also makes the intro with his wife null and void, since the only point to that scene was to propel Cranston's character into action. ... And then he's gone.

I'm still mystified by this decision. I mean, Cranston must've been under somekind of contract by some other studio that forbid Legendary to have him for more than a few days or something. They obviously brought him in to give the movie some credit, and then he just gets replaced by the most boring, non-emotive character ever. Even at the very end...

...when Aaron Taylor-Johnson gets reunited with his family he still has a look of utter disinterest on his face.

This makes me worry somewhat for Age of Ultron and his portrayal as Quicksilver.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I was just watching the introduction to The Fellowship Of The Ring again and wondering to myself, "once you'd built something like that, how could you ever bring yourself to pull it down again?"

I suppose they never really did and simply put all the requisite pieces into storage for the future. What an incredible thing.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Well, I've started a new religion. It seems to be going strong. :p

Also, been playing Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney. People should get on it. It's a lot of fun.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Barbas said:
I was just watching the introduction to The Fellowship Of The Ring again and wondering to myself, "once you'd built something like that, how could you ever bring yourself to pull it down again?"

I suppose they never really did and simply put all the requisite pieces into storage for the future. What an incredible thing.
I don't know about interior sets, but the "exterior Hobbiton" movie set remains up for guided tours.

http://www.hobbitontours.com/

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Someone sent me Rule 34 for my Madoka Magica fic yesterday, and it was actually pretty good. And while some people might find that gross, I personally was very flattered. It means that according to the rules of the internet, my story now officially exists. :D

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I don't know about interior sets, but the "exterior Hobbiton" movie set remains up for guided tours.

http://www.hobbitontours.com/
I was almost heartbroken when they closed the set after the original trilogy and the few doors that remained were just facades, but it was incredible news to hear that they were rebuilding them for The Hobbit out of proper materials that would last. Each of the homes can apparently be entered. Just another fantastic thing New Zealand can boast of having!

Movitz

Jan 30, 2013
After being disapointed with Legend of Korra, I started rewatching Last Airbender.

Gosh darn do I love the sense of wonder that series have.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Movitz said:
After being disapointed with Legend of Korra, I started rewatching Last Airbender.

Gosh darn do I love the sense of wonder that series have.
Season 3 too? Come on, it was great!

I think Korra could really use a "Tales of Ba Sing Se" style episode. Just a handful of mini-stories unrelated to the main plot, no grand drama, just the characters doing some nice stuff. As much as I find Korrasami fetishists creepy, they're (Korra and Asami that is) genuinely charming when they're together. They could do something like go to a zoo, have a dinner, something like that. Show Lin Beifong pull the stick out of her ass and show her chill out for once. Show Bolin studying his newfound lavabending. Stuff like that.

Continuing on that subject, I can't wait to marathon The Last Airbender with my friend. I ordered all 3 seasons on Amazon recently, and they'll be arriving any minute.

Also, I think someone ought to make a short film called "Sean Bean has a nice day". It starts with him waking up on a lovely Saturday morning at 9:30, eating breakfast whilst watching Animaniacs, and then spending a lovely day at the park eating ice cream and feeding the pigeons. In the evening he goes to the pub for a pint and to chill with his chums, and then goes to bed and sleeps like a baby.

I almost dare say I'm finally going to get to move out on my own this month. The renovation's gone on for almost 6 months, and it finally seems to be wrapping up. I can't wait!

I have way way way way way way waaayyyy too many unpainted Warhammer figures. Maybe 4k worth of Necrons, and not a single model painted nor a single game played. Maybe I ought to just take the whole of November and December off and just paint and play.

I finally got to play Xcom: Enemy Unknown and I'm really liking it. Feels genuinely like something I've never played before. Also, I'm eagerly anticipating the Borderlands Pre-Sequel, since it's coming out on older gen systems, meaning my laptop will likely be able to run it fairly well.
Casual Shinji said:

I think that would have meant pretty much rewriting the entire script, since the military stuff is so front and center in that film. I agree though, and I thought Godzilla 2014 sucked. I almost fell asleep during the last 30 minutes, which is supposed to be the most exciting part of the film.

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
Elfgore said:
I've been reading Joe Abercrombie's series The First Law. Pretty good series so far, nice action, great tension/suspense, and pretty solid story so far. I've been trying to read more, so I just picked one of the series I haven't read yet off my shelf.

I'm also pretty excited that The Walking Dead season 4 is coming to Netflix this month. I've heard it's the best season so far.

I've just about lost all interest in The Walking Dead. I'm about half-way through season 3, but after season 2's borefest and how stupid everyone acts I can't bring myself to watch it.

Another note, I really want House of Cards season 3 and the new Game of Thrones season to air already, dammit!

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I was briefly on the EU leaderboards on Diablo 3 with my boyfriend for completing a Greater Rift 2-player.... We were like 250 but we got bumped down to 270-odd by the time I realised to take a screenshot.

I'm probably more proud of that than I should be. :)
Casual Shinji said:

I think there was not enough Godzilla-ing. And it took too long to get to the Godzilla-ing.

When the wife/mother appeared in the first five minutes I leaned over to my boyfriend and whispered `Well she's dead then`. I hate being right all the time.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Well I redownloaded warframe yesterday but I feel to tired to play it.
Other than that I didn't do much this weekend except watch the movie Kopps