The scariest video game experience of your life

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
well I havnt played many scary games (as much as I love dead space its not scary) how ever there are two things

1. Half life 2- the creatures are just so unsettling, I cant think of any one moment but the way those zombies scream and their organs are all exposed

2. Bioshock- since this was the first "hardcore" game I had played In a long long time after the opening, that part where your pod lands and you see that man get killed by the spider splicer....I found ti quite scary

3. Fallout New Vegas- sneaking around the deathclaw cave for eggs, Sure I had a stealthboy but it was still freakign scary and there was one horrible moment where it ran out...

still I havnt played a game thats really scared me

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
xRBEASTx said:
FEAR, because it was just creepy, all of it.
How could I forget F.E.A.R. 2? one moment that stood out in particualr was where your in a train and facing the back when the door opens behined you and you see almas shadow very clearly in front of you, you know shes behined you and your going to have to turn around

I dont know it thats how it was suposed to play out but creepy al the same

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
bruunwald said:
The first three Silent Hill games scared the bejesus out of me. Silent Hill: Origins disturbed me on some level I haven't quite figured out yet, and so I refuse to finish it or go back and play it again at this time.

But if I had to crown one of these king, it would be the original: Silent Hill 1. No other horror franchise has come close for me (not for lack of trying). And you just never forget that first, real, terrifying thrill.

Silent Hill 1 scared me so s***less, I went out and bought the PS2 just so I could play Silent Hill 2. I would say that first game, and the two that followed, made such a good impression, that it was enough to keep me buying new platforms (PS3, Wii) to keep up with the series, in the hope that one would scare me that well again.
And sadly, they haven't have they?

For me, the first 3 Silent Hills and the original Clock Tower. In Clock Tower you always had to hide and if you hid in the same place twice, he found you.

Reep

Jul 23, 2008
When i was muuuch younger, the two things that scared me the most were the zombies from Conkers Bad Fur day, they got the voices so unnatural and creepy in that game just listening to them was bad enough.
The other was The Flood from Halo CE, yes i know, but i was probably 9 at the time and being chased by mutant corpses freaked me right out.

Currently though ive been mostly freaked out by Bioshock and Fear 2.

UberLemonBoy

Feb 17, 2010
i'm scared of my own shadow so when i played Luigi's Manson basically was shitting my pants the whole time

Nabohs

Jan 18, 2011
I was like 7 when Ocarina of Time came out, and when I played it for the first time, Goma scared the crap out of me. I was with my cousins and we were all in this small cramped room when someone had this bright idea to off the lights...

luckshotpro

Oct 18, 2010
I jumped once in the original F.E.A.R.
and a few time so far in the Gamecube re-make of the original Resident Evil, which i still have yet to finish
I was also pretty scared of the Regenerators in Resident Evil 4
I also recently bought Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, although I haven't played enough of it for anything truly scary to show up, except maybe the insane panic of the intro sequence
I would quite like to delve more into horror games, seeing as I haven't really played many at all, although I am rather interested in playing some of the Silent Hill games as well as Condemned: Criminal Origins (and Condemned 2 after I finish the first one).

TOTL_UNIALAYSHUN

Aug 24, 2010
When you first get barraged from Pirates in Metroid Prime.
Them and the freaking Chozo Ghosts!!!! That music that played told me I was going to die
You cannot tell me hearing this music doesn't make you wanna turn and GTFO out of there.[/quote]

YES.

I definitely agree! Metroid Prime had a LOT of freaky moments for me as well.

Also, (this might have happened to anyone with MW2 or Black Ops, even MW for that matter) I always hate getting the sh*t scared outta my bumhole from getting knifed outta nowhere. Doesn't scare me all the time but I guess when I'm into it enough I pee myself a little.

EDIT: I tried to quote someone about 8 times now and it won't work. -_- Where it says "[/quote]", that's where Madara XIII finished.

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
ChocoFace said:
i played The Mummy (the videogame) when i was in 1st grade.
Couldn't proceed after hearing the first sounds of mummies
I know the feeling! Tomb Raider 4... no idea how old I was, must have been about 11 or 12, but the moment I heard the mummies in that game... never went back! Of course they just sound stupid now and I can laugh. Stupid mummies.

Fightgarr said:
Chapter 2 of Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Being chased by the fishmen out of the hotel. I think there are few game experiences as harrowing as that 5 minute section.
This. A hundred million times THIS! I wouldn't call it my "scariest" gaming moment however, more like my most adrenalin filled moment. Good heavens... I swear I couldn't shove those cabinets and slide those bolts fast enough! In fact I really need to complete that game... the whole thing is rather unsettling.

Casual Shinji said:
But for me, having James look at the Pyramid Head painting and say, "...It's him." was always enough to make me quiver in my boots.
I know what you mean. Silent Hill 2 has a bazillion scary moments, some scripted and some just totally random. I remember checking a door in the appartment blocks, instead of giving me the customary "The lock appears to be broken" message, it said something along the lines of "I can't open this door, some sort of force appears to be holding it from the other side." I tell you, I almost wet myself reading that simple line of text!

But probably the most amazingly terrifying moment I've ever come across was in Silent Hill 3 (and most of my scariest gaming moments can be found in this game actually.) No it wasn't the ghost on the subway station, nor was it the bathroom stall in the mall, it wasn't even the upturned wheelchair with blood trail leading to a half open elevator (although that comes bloody close!) It was the mirror room... I think you can guess which room I'm talking about, but for those who can't...

*snip*
It sucks, I kinda rushed through that game with my friend, and never came across that room. I remember all of the other parts though, including one in a closet filled with mannequins. There was one just standing there between two shelves, and when you walk around behind another shelf, you hear a scream, and a thud. You walk back and the mannequin is bloody, and the head is on the floor.

One other moment caught me REALLY off guard, because it wasn't built up, and there was no scary music to go with it. At one point you're walking down a hallway, and you turn a corner and come upon a glass case, and a wheelchair with a teddy bear on it. If you examine the teddy bear, it says something descriptive about it, no big deal. Then, when you return to gameplay, there is a disfigured dead body holding a teddy bear, hanging in the glass case. I played it with my friend, and we saw it and were like "Ummm... Was that there before?" *Nervous laughter*.

Also, the creepy monster turning the crank in the distance. You probably know what I'm talking about.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Minecraft scared the shit out of me today, so I'll have to say that. Plus, I don't play many horror games to begin with.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Silent Hill on PS1, by far. It is the only game to ever make me scared. Though I head Amnesia was awesome.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
I don't play many scary games, but this is probably the worst:

Try to ignore the WMM douche spamming text all over the screen. If you can.

Why do I care

Jan 13, 2010
PoisonUnagi said:
I don't play many scary games, but this is probably the worst:

Try to ignore the WMM douche spamming text all over the screen. If you can.
THE EFF WAS THAT? THAT GHOST IS THE FREAKING DEVIL.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
i don't play a lot of horror games... soooo... either nearly ANY water level (specifically on old school games, ie. Mario 64 with the f*cking eels...) or the first time you encounter a xenomorph in SEGA's AVP game

Crystalite

Apr 2, 2010
Well in Silent Hill 2 I was pretty much shaking from the moment James got out of that restroom...
I´m pretty highly strung when it comes to games, and I do not deal with horror well, but I just had to continue playing, because I needed to know what had happened. The game just made me care about the protagonist, even if he hid behind the door on the day god handed out brains... ;-)

Now I´m trying to play Silent Hill 4, and that is even worse, somehow.
I mean, if someone gets a letter from his dead wife, and goes to find her, he might as well know that he will be in trouble. But the whole concept of having your home invaded like that just gripped me by some very sensitiv part of my body, or whatever ;-)

Also Silent Hill just has the most masterfull use of sound.
Just hearing Pyramid head scrape the Great Knife across the metal floor was probably the scariest moment of my gaming history.

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
Resident Evil
Fucking Yawn. When I first played the game (Age 5) and Yawn showed up, I freaked out.

Metal Gear Solid 3
The Sorrow. Made me feel a bit ill while playing, mainly just hearing the moans of everyone you killed. Unless you do a no kill run, then its relatively peaceful XD
Also, the final battle in this game messed me up a bit. Not scary, just, very emotional.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
I have to second the dog jumping through the window in RE1. I felt like that was the console generation where people and places started looking like actual people and places, and that "jump scare" was like nothing I'd experienced in any previous game.

Now jump scares are dime a dozen, and it's actually pretty obnoxious. F.E.A.R. in particular was just idiotic. All they did was draw your gaze in one direction only to immediately spring Alma on you from another. It was predictable and annoying, and it did little to prop up an otherwise hum-drum shooter.