The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I have some thoughts about the story, such as it is, now that I've had a little more time to digest it.
My starting class was the Astrologer and I finished the game with Ranni's ending. All taken together I think that's a thematically satisfying adventure, if you know where to look for the details. The astrologers were the original sorcerers in the Lands Between but the Carian royalty supplanted them as the most powerful and then Radahn challenged the stars, making their astronomy worthless. This was presumably part of asserting the power of the Golden Order over everything in the Lands Between. After the Shattering, my tarnished of no renown returned to the lands between, and defeated Rennala, demonstrating his superiority over the Carians, and also Radahn, returning fate to the night sky. Then he aided Ranni in escaping her fate, utimately allowing her to establish a new order based on stars.[/spoiler[

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I have some thoughts about the story, such as it is, now that I've had a little more time to digest it.
My starting class was the Astrologer and I finished the game with Ranni's ending. All taken together I think that's a thematically satisfying adventure, if you know where to look for the details. The astrologers were the original sorcerers in the Lands Between but the Carian royalty supplanted them as the most powerful and then Radahn challenged the stars, making their astronomy worthless. This was presumably part of asserting the power of the Golden Order over everything in the Lands Between. After the Shattering, my tarnished of no renown returned to the lands between, and defeated Rennala, demonstrating his superiority over the Carians, and also Radahn, returning fate to the night sky. Then he aided Ranni in escaping her fate, utimately allowing her to establish a new order based on stars.[/spoiler[

As a spell mage you might appreciate this elegant display -

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I don't know if anyone actually cares about these updates so if I'm just being annoying and getting in the way, let me know :D

Second Big Baddy has been defeated

I also do stream this game when I play it if anyone is interested on Twitch (these boss fights are just cut out of said stream; Tippy2k2). I don't have any kind of a schedule or whatever, I just hop on when I feel like playing the game. I'm also going in mostly blind, though I do take tips from the audience if I miss something or if I'm not doing something I should be doing, I'm just not looking up guides or information online about the game while playing.

I took this fella down after my second attempt so I'm pretty proud of me!

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I don't know if anyone actually cares about these updates so if I'm just being annoying and getting in the way, let me know :D

Second Big Baddy has been defeated

I also do stream this game when I play it if anyone is interested on Twitch (these boss fights are just cut out of said stream; Tippy2k2). I don't have any kind of a schedule or whatever, I just hop on when I feel like playing the game. I'm also going in mostly blind, though I do take tips from the audience if I miss something or if I'm not doing something I should be doing, I'm just not looking up guides or information online about the game while playing.

I took this fella down after my second attempt so I'm pretty proud of me!
Nice! I got him down to a sliver doing melee my first try but then my nerves were too frazzled, so I went back in to cheese him with Rock Sling lol.

Some food for thought regarding character specs and getting the most out of them, once you find a weapon you like and think you'll stick with for a while -

If you're a melee player and like buffing weapons either with greases or spells/incants, most of your stat points will be best utilized in the Heavy, Keen or Quality affinities. Otherwise if you're big on inflicting status effects without having to bother with consumables or FP usage, it would be best to put points into stuff like Intelligence for Frost, Arcane for Bleed/Poison, Faith for Sacred/Flame, etc. Others like Lightning and Fire aren't really governed by anything in particular, which is helpful. In any case there are many ashes of war that can be applied once you find the appropriate whetstones to really maximize damage output no matter what your upgrade path is.

Last edited:

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Nice! I got him down to a sliver doing melee my first try but then my nerves were too frazzled, so I went back in to cheese him with Rock Sling lol.

Some food for thought regarding character specs and getting the most out of them, once you find a weapon you like and think you'll stick with for a while -

If you're a melee player and like buffing weapons either with greases or spells/incants, most of your stat points will be best utilized in the Heavy, Keen or Quality affinities. Otherwise if you're big on inflicting status effects without having to bother with consumables or FP usage, it would be best to put points into stuff like Intelligence for Frost, Arcane for Bleed/Poison, Faith for Sacred/Flame, etc. Others like Lightning and Fire aren't really governed by anything in particular, which is helpful. In any case there are many ashes of war that can be applied once you find the appropriate whetstones to really maximize damage output no matter what your upgrade path is.
Escapist didn't tell me I got quoted :(

But I don't really have a "build" or really any idea of what I'm doing :D

I am just kind of putting points into things that seem useful, which for my character is ways to kill things faster or ways to not die so fast

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015

GGEZ

I have been told that she normally puts up a fight but I whooped her so fast that she didn't get the chance to :D
Nah if you're specced for melee she shouldn't be too hard. I had some trouble because I was all in on sorceries and she's borderline immune to magic, but once I found the Rock Sling spell in Caelid it was a pretty easy fight. (And of course you need to work out the gimmick in the first phase.)

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah I remember Renalla more for her first phase bugging out and not spawning the final candlebearer more then any actual difficulty.

She can wombo you when she opens with that beam, the first time. But past that its all heavily telegraphed and giant casting animations are massive openings. Her spirits are random though, so that could flip flop the fight for some.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Escapist didn't tell me I got quoted :(

But I don't really have a "build" or really any idea of what I'm doing :D

I am just kind of putting points into things that seem useful, which for my character is ways to kill things faster or ways to not die so fast
First off, I like that you have a cat cam while you play. Second, you’re doing pretty good if you managed to first time her second phase, going in blind. Some of her spells usually get people including myself at least once or twice.

Sounds like it’s Strength or Dex you’re most aligned with, aside from Vigor/Endurance. If you want to do even more damage, try hitting up that LT (skill)! With Bloodhounds Fang it’s innately aligned with Dexterity scaling, so you’ll get the most benefit from that stat. Also worth checking to see what ashes of war you might have, which can apply different skills that maybe be more to your liking. Sword Dance is a good one for Dex.

However, if you have more points going into Strength, something like Wild Strikes will apply better scaling to that. “Affinity” refers to these scaling properties. Once you find the whetstone knife and the Iron whetblade or others you can tune weapons to better favor your stats regardless of what ash is used.

You’re already doing really well without all that, but it’s something to consider if a boss or whatever is being a pain, or you just want to stomp them into paste lol.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
First off, I like that you have a cat cam while you play. Second, you’re doing pretty good if you managed to first time her second phase, going in blind. Some of her spells usually get people including myself at least once or twice.

Sounds like it’s Strength or Dex you’re most aligned with, aside from Vigor/Endurance. If you want to do even more damage, try hitting up that LT (skill)! With Bloodhounds Fang it’s innately aligned with Dexterity scaling, so you’ll get the most benefit from that stat. Also worth checking to see what ashes of war you might have, which can apply different skills that maybe be more to your liking. Sword Dance is a good one for Dex.

However, if you have more points going into Strength, something like Wild Strikes will apply better scaling to that. “Affinity” refers to these scaling properties. Once you find the whetstone knife and the Iron whetblade or others you can tune weapons to better favor your stats regardless of what ash is used.

You’re already doing really well without all that, but it’s something to consider if a boss or whatever is being a pain, or you just want to stomp them into paste lol.
My buddy in Twitch yells at me all the time cause I forget I have that L2 ability as I never remember to use it...

I've mostly done Strength (to murder faster), Vigor (to get murdered less faster), and Endurance (to have bigger armor to not get murdered faster while still being medium load so I can also dodge murder attempts).

I play very similar to how I play boxing games; block/dodge until I have an opening, counter punch during the opening, then backing away and doing it again. Though if I'm just constantly staggering them, I'll full court press and just beat the snot out of them and not worry about countering...

I sink points in other skills if necessary (like Dex to use that sword or Int when I have a summon I want to use) but overall it's those three

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
First off, I like that you have a cat cam while you play.
I forgot about this part!

I think I'm going to also get a few cameras. I don't know how well it works but I found a basically camera switch board for like....$15 that allows you to just switch to different cameras with a button. So I think I'm going to keep a camera where it is (so I can move it around as needed when they're by me) and then have one that is over by the tower since usually if they're not by me, at least one of them is in the tower sleeping.

It's funny and silly AF but I was trying to do Affiliate for a bit, not because I ever expect to make money or whatever but because I wanted to put my cats into my Emoji options :D

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
*Really* Easy Mode -

Given Miyazaki’s fondness of Bloodborne I wonder if there’s a connection 🤔
It may or may not be coincidental that the two weapons with a reputation for being overpowered in Elden Ring, the Rivers of Blood and the Moonveil, are katanas with very high stat scaling and big range extending moves from their Ashes of War. Moonveil is arguably worse in some ways because it gives these things to high intelligence builds who should otherwise struggle in close combat.