The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Dunk Runes.

I got chased by a crab and hid in a nearby church thinking he'd get bored and fuck off. He didn't, he followed me, and I thought "Oh, he can't get past those pillars. It's an invisible wall to his pathfinding. He'll get bored and fuck off".

HE BROKE THE FUCKING PILLARS AND CHASED ME AROUND THE CHURCH. I Finally lost him but yeah, that was a scare.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
I got chased by a crab and hid in a nearby church thinking he'd get bored and fuck off. He didn't, he followed me, and I thought "Oh, he can't get past those pillars. It's an invisible wall to his pathfinding. He'll get bored and fuck off".

HE BROKE THE FUCKING PILLARS AND CHASED ME AROUND THE CHURCH. I Finally lost him but yeah, that was a scare.
What was once safe is no longer safe.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So it's a GIANT ENEMY CRAB. Based off of ancient history in England-Scotland-Eurpoean-Land-Whatever. You should have attacked its weak point, for massive damage.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
So it's a GIANT ENEMY CRAB. Based off of ancient history in England-Scotland-Eurpoean-Land-Whatever. You should have attacked its weak point, for massive damage.
There are "small" crabs in the game that probably are the size of medium dogs. Then there are crabs the size of buses.

Miyazaki has a crab fetish i think. They appear in random ass places too.

Oh and there are giant lobsters now. Wtf.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There are "small" crabs in the game that probably are the size of medium dogs. Then there are crabs the size of buses.

Miyazaki has a crab fetish i think. They appear in random ass places too.

Oh and there are giant lobsters now. Wtf.
Giant crustaceans.....everywhere!

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, forgot to mention it was a GIANT FUCKING CRAB though I guess by the context that was kinda obvious.

Then again Dark Souls 2 had some little piggies in the hub area that could easily kill a low level character and the only thing you had to do to aggro them is wander over there exploring. There's good reason I cautiously approached a lot of the wildlife when I started Elden Ring, because "Well, that looks like a normal bird but it could also be a murder bird" and "That might be a big squirrel or it might be eyeing my skull as a very large nut to crack".

Reactions: BrawlMan

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah, forgot to mention it was a GIANT FUCKING CRAB though I guess by the context that was kinda obvious.

Then again Dark Souls 2 had some little piggies in the hub area that could easily kill a low level character and the only thing you had to do to aggro them is wander over there exploring. There's good reason I cautiously approached a lot of the wildlife when I started Elden Ring, because "Well, that looks like a normal bird but it could also be a murder bird" and "That might be a big squirrel or it might be eyeing my skull as a very large nut to crack".
DS3 had them after the Road of Sacrifices leading up to Faron's Keep. They seemed kinda out of place there though, since I've always thought they're more ocean-beach dwellers. Guess they found their way home in ER.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
DS3 had them after the Road of Sacrifices leading up to Faron's Keep. They seemed kinda out of place there though, since I've always thought they're more ocean-beach dwellers. Guess they found their way home in ER.
Oh, I remember them. Those Swamp Crabs were something I stayed far, far away from and even then they move way too fucking fast.There's also like squid things on the beaches because of course there are.

Vaati hasn't really got much lore stuff up yet but he did put this out.

Basically a quick heads up on how to get geared up while in Limgrave and the early regions. I've been using this as a list of shit to look for while exploring while not explicitly following the directions. Honestly you pretty much need to take notes to properly use the video because he blazes through shit quickly.

Last edited:

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
After beating the game at 76 hours mark.....

That was, without a doubt, the best soulsborne game I've ever played. Sort of what BOTW did with Zelda series, Elden Ring has completely re-written on how souls games should be like from now on. Lands Between is one of the greatest world FS has ever made. Different biomes just magically blends together, and I was always tempted to explore more. My favorite area was Leyndell, The Royal Capital as it recaptured that wonder I felt when I first reached Anor Londor back in Dark Souls 1. No other game in the series has given me the same goosebumps and feels.

The versatility of builds has never been crazy, thanks to many different weapons and skills requiring different skill stats. There is literally something for everyone here. I myself was trying to stick with the classic str/fth paladin, but after discovering blasphemous blade I switched from lightning to flames and scarlet rot. I personally only played in pvp three times, but from all the clips I'm seeing on youtube it's crazy how creative players are getting with their builds.

The best part for me, and the part IMO where ER gets all the praises from was there was little to no hand-holding. In contrast to something like Ubisoft open-world games, there were no obvious navigation markers other than general direction for me to head out. There were also no quest markers, trackers, radar, and other UI stuff that cluttered up the screen. FS kept the simple UI of the past games, and I appreciate them for that. Also, unlike ubisoft games, there are no meaningless sidequests, no one-off npcs who give you said side-quests, and no radiant quests to clutter up task list or map. NPCs in ER usually keep their dialogs to minimum and has sense of mystery and intrigue to them, and their side quests have effects on how the game ends and give you nice rewards. I would take these type of NPCs and side quests any day over anything that Ubisoft has ever put out.

There were some things that I didn't like, however. While I enjoyed the rewards of the mini-dungeons, I feel they were bit too copypasted. There were some stand out ones, but most of them were caves or catacombs filled with deadly traps and annoying enemies, with recycled bosses in the end. I lost count on how many times I fought some giant knight dudes at the bottom.

Speaking of bosses, for the most part FS did amazing jobs for the designs. Margit, Godrick, Rennala, Malenia, Godfrey, Morgott, Rykar, Radahn, and Radagon. The designs and the fights were phenomenal. Malenia fight was crazy, Rykar fight was cinematic, Rennala second phase was beautiful. And Radahn's crash made me laugh due to the ridiculousness. As I mentioned above there were some recycled minor bosses both in mini-dungeons or out on the field, some being more annoying than challenging. I am not okay with this decision, as those copypasted minor boss encounters outnumber the memorable ones I mentioned above.

Is Elden Ring a perfect game? No, as a "perfect" game doesn't exist. Is it fun? Hell Yes, I am getting ready for NG+ right now.

10/10, please fuck me up more Elden Ring

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
My favorite area was Leyndell, The Royal Capital as it recaptured that wonder I felt when I first reached Anor Londor back in Dark Souls 1. No other game in the series has given me the same goosebumps and feels.
I find it funny that your favorite moment of ER was when it was the most like Dark Souls1 as opposed to the new elements of the game.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
I find it funny that your favorite moment of ER was when it was the most like Dark Souls1 as opposed to the new elements of the game.
I guess I was really impressed with how the city looked. Understand this was when I was around 50 hours into the game, and I was just about done with cliffs, grasslands, ruins, and rocky terrains. Don't get me wrong, they were all impressive to look at, but the lead-up to the capital was something else. The giant erdtree is standing just above, and you as you get closer it starts to lose the wild terrains and becomes a civilization. You get past the big door, beat the dragon-horse knight, go through the dark corridor, and BAM, it hits you with a bright color palette and you see buildings stretching for miles. The city had many paths for me to explore. I could hop across the rooftops, walk in the streets, or go into dark sewer to unlock a shortcut, eventually leading to a epic boss fight literally at the base of the giant tree.

I feel I was always impressed with souls series areas that hit me with the different color palettes compared to other areas in the game. Anor Londor in DS1, Dragon Aeries/Shrine in DS2, Irithyll of the Boreal Valley in DS3, nightmare frontier in Bloodborne, etc.

There was an area that did feel completely new to ER, the subterranean cities. Instead of being a giant cavern dwarven-esque city, It consists of a galactic sky, ancient ruins, and worshippers performing rituals to an unknown deity. Had Leyndell not captivated me, these subterranean cities most likely would've been my favorite areas. The enemies in here feel completely stand out from the ones I find on the surface world.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The horsey really makes all the difference, the sense of speed and the double jump makes traversal a real joy. This is something most open-world games (with mounts) always seem to neglect - They give you a horse for speed, but than make managing this horse (having to get off to grab stuff, or because it can't make it over certain terrain, and than having to travel back to your horse because you got too far for you to call it to you) a nuisance. Here the horse is just with you instantly, and you don't even need to press a button to mount it since it'll just materialize underneath you. And horse combat is also very satisfying as it actually gives you a solid edge against enemies, something no Souls previously ever granted you. I really like charging in and out and then back into a fight. It's very reminiscent of The Witcher 3 honestly, and it makes fighting multple enemies truly fun. Good job on the horsey Fromsoft.

The open-world is alright. So far I'm not really pursuing any real objective or direction, I'm just going wherever the world or my eye leads me to. It certainly hasn't utterly captured my imagination the way Breath of the Wilds' open-world has, but it has a similar sense of freedom to explore by way of keeping the world overall very mysterious.

Not being able to swim is fucking stupid though. Like, this isn't 2007 anymore, okay; you make an open-world with water in it, you put swimming in. Having you character just instantly sink to the bottom and die is dumb.

Also, I have no real clue what the Ashes of War or whatever are for. I strapped it to one of my weapons, which I guess did more than just improve some states, but if it added a special move, fuck if I know how to access it. Just another one of those obtuse Fromsoft things that I suppose is there for you to discover things on your own, but where most everyone will just look it up on youtube because of how freaking obtuse it is, making the whole way of including it meaningless.

Brokencontroller

Elite Member
Dec 30, 2021
Country
usa
Also, I have no real clue what the Ashes of War or whatever are for. I strapped it to one of my weapons, which I guess did more than just improve some states, but if it added a special move, fuck if I know how to access it. Just another one of those obtuse Fromsoft things that I suppose is there for you to discover things on your own, but where most everyone will just look it up on youtube because of how freaking obtuse it is, making the whole way of including it meaningless.
Just press L2.

Reactions: Casual Shinji

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Apparently the Ashes give the weapon a special ability but I havent really figured out how to use them. Apparently they can be very powerful, especually the one that adds a bleed buff to your weapons. Bleed is apparently very powerful in this game.

I guess I was really impressed with how the city looked. Understand this was when I was around 50 hours into the game, and I was just about done with cliffs, grasslands, ruins, and rocky terrains. Don't get me wrong, they were all impressive to look at, but the lead-up to the capital was something else. The giant erdtree is standing just above, and you as you get closer it starts to lose the wild terrains and becomes a civilization. You get past the big door, beat the dragon-horse knight, go through the dark corridor, and BAM, it hits you with a bright color palette and you see buildings stretching for miles. The city had many paths for me to explore. I could hop across the rooftops, walk in the streets, or go into dark sewer to unlock a shortcut, eventually leading to a epic boss fight literally at the base of the giant tree.
I opened a chest on the Western part of the Weeping Peninsula and ended up in the Capital. I don't think I could go anywhere from where I found myself, but at least there was a bonfire and this amazing vista of the capital that very much reminded me of both Anor Londo in DS1 and the Ringed City from DS3. I didn't really want to go too far anyway because I'm pretty sure I'm way underleveled for that area.

It was funny met a mage in a church in the Lakes region and he talked about the magic school being locked and and thus the Capital. Too bad I couldn't tell him "Dude, I was just in the Capital".

The horsey really makes all the difference, the sense of speed and the double jump makes traversal a real joy. This is something most open-world games (with mounts) always seem to neglect - They give you a horse for speed, but than make managing this horse (having to get off to grab stuff, or because it can't make it over certain terrain, and than having to travel back to your horse because you got too far for you to call it to you) a nuisance. Here the horse is just with you instantly, and you don't even need to press a button to mount it since it'll just materialize underneath you. And horse combat is also very satisfying as it actually gives you a solid edge against enemies, something no Souls previously ever granted you. I really like charging in and out and then back into a fight. It's very reminiscent of The Witcher 3 honestly, and it makes fighting multple enemies truly fun. Good job on the horsey Fromsoft.

The open-world is alright. So far I'm not really pursuing any real objective or direction, I'm just going wherever the world or my eye leads me to. It certainly hasn't utterly captured my imagination the way Breath of the Wilds' open-world has, but it has a similar sense of freedom to explore by way of keeping the world overall very mysterious.
I do love being able to zip around and choose when and where to engage wandering monsters or just rush past them and explore. I wandered into the lakes region trying to figure out what's up there and eventually found myself in a flooded town after following a string of lights along what must have once been a road(mostly submerged now). I love the whole feel of how the swamp has swallowed up a roadway and apparently a town, though I did decide I'm probably a bit out of my league here and that I miss Limgrave.

Oh, and I found some ghost soldiers as a summon. I used them a couple of times, including one time againest a big armored knight with his boys and man, I love these ghost soldiers. They hit hard and they're fairly tanky to boot and regular enemies seem to be having a hard time keeping up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Casual Shinji

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Not being able to swim is fucking stupid though. Like, this isn't 2007 anymore, okay; you make an open-world with water in it, you put swimming in. Having you character just instantly sink to the bottom and die is dumb.

I personally think it worked in the game's favor. Unless properly implemented, almost every swimming in games has been slow af. Like, holy-shit-I-need-to-get-out-of-water-right-now slow. It may have allowed more freedom of exploration, but there really isn't much to explore by swimming across water. The Tarnished one already gets slowed down when the water level is waist level. Do you really want to slowly swim around only to find nothing of interest there?

As for ashes of war, you can activate it by pressing LT/L2 on your controller. If you are holding different weapons in each hand, it will prioritize the AOW of the main hand, aka the weapon on the right hand.

Reactions: Dalisclock