The Shilling

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Inaccurate. The lead singer of Nickelback is much uglier than that!

Evidence:

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
As always, I feel the need to post this:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7846322/taking-concert-doubleheader-creed-nickelback-world-most-hated-bands

One of the lines from the article says everything:

"It's hard to get inside the existential paradox of Kroeger's life on tour: Every day, he gives interviews to journalists and radio DJs who directly ask him why no one likes his band. Every night, he plays music to thousands of enraptured superfans, many of whom love him with a ferocity that's probably unhealthy. Every concert ends with a standing ovation; if he feels motivated, he spends the remainder of the night partying with forgettable strangers who will remember him for the rest of their lives. Eventually, Kroeger falls asleep. And then he wakes up in a beautiful hotel room, only to read new articles about how everyone in North America hates his band."

I like their music. But enter any musical conversation, and the same three hates will come up:

Nickelback
Linkin Park
Metallica post Black Album

It gets old.
At the risk of pointing out the obvious, you could replace every instance of Chad Kroeger in that piece with [insert terrible pop act here] and get the same result.

Nicelback are fairly terrible, but they probably do get far more flack than they deserve.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Grey Carter said:
As always, I feel the need to post this:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7846322/taking-concert-doubleheader-creed-nickelback-world-most-hated-bands

One of the lines from the article says everything:

"It's hard to get inside the existential paradox of Kroeger's life on tour: Every day, he gives interviews to journalists and radio DJs who directly ask him why no one likes his band. Every night, he plays music to thousands of enraptured superfans, many of whom love him with a ferocity that's probably unhealthy. Every concert ends with a standing ovation; if he feels motivated, he spends the remainder of the night partying with forgettable strangers who will remember him for the rest of their lives. Eventually, Kroeger falls asleep. And then he wakes up in a beautiful hotel room, only to read new articles about how everyone in North America hates his band."

I like their music. But enter any musical conversation, and the same three hates will come up:

Nickelback
Linkin Park
Metallica post Black Album

It gets old.
At the risk of pointing out the obvious, you could replace every instance of Chad Kroeger in that piece with [insert terrible pop act here] and get the same result.

Nicelback are fairly terrible, but they probably do get far more flack than they deserve.
Like from video game based webcomics, for example? :)
I've gone 250 strips with no shots at Nickelback, I think I deserve one.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Every step they take is just another mistake to you isn't Grey?
Can't they see that they're smothering me?
Holding too tightly, afraid to lose control...

...of their advertising revenue.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I haven't picked up any album they made in a while, but I remember liking Nickleback. Some of the songs had about the same melodic line, but they were still nice. Are they really that despised?
Although, it could be because if you were to hear the kind of music being pumped out by bands in my country, you would consider the dieing creams of a burning warthog as better music.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I'm sure when bands like Nickleback and Linkin Park get sad thinking how hated they are they just try to remember how many millions of dollars they had made before they stopped bothering to keep track and perk right up.

I'll gladly and proudly be labeled a sell out and take all the hate you want to throw at me for the kind of money they make. They have what is affectionately referred to as "Fuck You Money [http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fuck+you+money]".

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I'm not really sure where I stand on this. I never really liked Linkin Park and I think Nickleback are hit and miss.

However, I'm really starting to dislike this issue of 'selling out'. How do we quantify when an artist, of whatever denomination, has 'sold out'? Do those words even mean anything anymore? Did they ever mean anything? To be honest, I think the only person who gets to decide what material is made, for who, and why, is the artist(s) themselves, and while fans are perfectly entitled to dislike what is created, I don't see how any of them have the kind of insight to claim that their dislike is a result of the artist(s) 'selling out'. It just strikes me as another one of those 'I don't like this, but I don't feel secure in just saying I don't like it, so instead I'm going to accuse the people that made it of being soulless corporate shills without any insight into their creative process because it will make me sound more indie.' kind of arguments.

toritaka

Mar 1, 2010
So, blantant reference to Linkin Park's song "One Step Closer" in Chad's lament is intentional, right?

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
What happened to you Linkin Park? You used to be cool (or maybe it's because I'm not 15 anymore?)

And speaking of Nickleback:

How was this ever allowed in the first place?!

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I'm not really sure where I stand on this. I never really liked Linkin Park and I think Nickleback are hit and miss.

However, I'm really starting to dislike this issue of 'selling out'. How do we quantify when an artist, of whatever denomination, has 'sold out'? Do those words even mean anything anymore? Did they ever mean anything? To be honest, I think the only person who gets to decide what material is made, for who, and why, is the artist(s) themselves, and while fans are perfectly entitled to dislike what is created, I don't see how any of them have the kind of insight to claim that their dislike is a result of the artist(s) 'selling out'. It just strikes me as another one of those 'I don't like this, but I don't feel secure in just saying I don't like it, so instead I'm going to accuse the people that made it of being soulless corporate shills without any insight into their creative process because it will make me sound more indie.' kind of arguments.
I disagree. In fact, I'd say that convincing people that expectations of integrity belong only in the realms of hipsterdom is one of the many reasons mainstream music is in such a sorry state.

People need and want money, I dig that and I think everyone should get one freebie (I'm looking at you, Muse). But Linkin Park have put their name behind not one, not two, but three of Bay's Transformer movies and two of EA's terrible COD knock-offs.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Poor Nickelback. They tried so hard... and got so far... but in the end, it didn't even matter.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Grey Carter said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:

I disagree. In fact, I'd say that convincing people that expectations of integrity belong only in the realms of hipsterdom is one of the many reasons mainstream music is in such a sorry state.

People need and want money, I dig that and I think everyone should get one freebie (I'm looking at you, Muse). But Linkin Park have put their name behind not one, not two, but three of Bay's Transformer movies and two of EA's terrible COD knock-offs.
Is it selling out if they actually like the entertainment they backed? I mean, I really wouldn't be surprised if they actually did like Bay's abominations adaptations :p

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Grey Carter said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:

What if they didn't think they were terrible though? I mean, I thought they were terrible, you obviously think they were terrible, and I know a lot of other people who thought they were terrible. But is it not possible that Linkin Park weren't motivated by money, and had they same creative passion for writing those tie-ins as they did for all their other songs? I just think the only people who can really say for sure whether they did or not is them.