The Simpsons: How Will It End?

MovieBob

New member
Dec 31, 2008
11,495
0
0
The Simpsons: How Will It End?

The Simpsons has to come to an end sometime... but just how will it go out?

Read Full Article
 

baconmaster

New member
Apr 15, 2008
69
0
0
20 years ago I wouldn't have been surprised to see it end with Homer's death. And it probably would've been a fantastic episode too.

Now I have no idea how it'll end. I just hope it gets a proper finale before one of the main actors has a heart attack and they're forced to just cancel the show
 

Mr. Q

New member
Apr 30, 2013
767
0
0
baconmaster said:
20 years ago I wouldn't have been surprised to see it end with Homer's death. And it probably would've been a fantastic episode too.

Now I have no idea how it'll end. I just hope it gets a proper finale before one of the main actors has a heart attack and they're forced to just cancel the show
Same here. It's had a long run but the creators and cast need to set up an end game for this show. I love the show but its at a point where it can't keep things going with the recent death of Marica Wallace.

I'd like to see an ending where its being narrated by a female voice that shows the family progressing to a positive end, only to reveal its was an adult Maggie telling the tale.
 

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
4,419
0
0
At this point i can only think that it will end when the VA cast takes a death it wont recover from. Especially if its one of the core cast who voices multiple characters.
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
5,231
240
68
I think the end of the Simpsons could be a reference (or parody) to The Tommy Westphall Universe (all was inside the mind of Ralph or an autistic kid version of Matt Groening).
 

disappointed

New member
Sep 14, 2011
97
0
0
I'd be cautious about laying out much detail of the characters' future. Their lives to date have been so over detailed that nothing could possibly satisfy the fans. Indeed, any kind of 'meta' ending that explains it all is likely to get a lukewarm reception.

I would imagine they'd go for something closer to Cheers - an ending that seeks only to bid a fond goodbye to Springfield, with maybe a hint that the characters will finally start growing up.
 

vid87

New member
May 17, 2010
737
0
0
Any form that finally has Maggie talking officially would be a win for me.

Also, I find it ironic that Wallace's passing and Edna's departure, though indeed a tragic palpable loss, ended up being the bigger "event" and dramatic boost for the series than the character they originally planned to kill off.

Krusty's dad
 

Grace_Omega

New member
Dec 7, 2013
120
0
0
You know what, I bet some version of that last one ends up happening. There's no other way I could imagine them doing it.
 

LaoJim

New member
Aug 24, 2013
555
0
0
I vote for a whole seasons worth of different and contradictory endings - Homer dies, Marge dies, Homer becomes president, it was all a dream, a parody of the Lost ending, a parody of the Battlestar Galactica ending, a parody of the Soprano's ending, the Scooby-doo ending, the Truman Show ending, the Groundhog Day ending etc.
 

INeedAName

New member
Feb 16, 2011
158
0
0
It won't. I'm pretty sure The Simpson's ending is one of the signs of Armageddon. Sort of like the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Once it happens, you know the end-times is right 'round the corner.
 

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
1,559
0
0
A fitting death for Homer would be touching an extremely high voltage panel without safety gloves, Grimey style.

P.S. Thanks
 

Darth_Payn

New member
Aug 5, 2009
2,868
0
0
Well sir, this one's a puzzler. They're all good ideas, some of them you can combine. It's the future, Homer finally dies (hopefully heroically that doesn't insult the character or the audience) and it's narrated by Maggie.
vid87 said:
Any form that finally has Maggie talking officially would be a win for me.

Also, I find it ironic that Wallace's passing and Edna's departure, though indeed a tragic palpable loss, ended up being the bigger "event" and dramatic boost for the series than the character they originally planned to kill off.

Krusty's dad
That's one of the signs The Simpsons is over: they finally let Maggie talk.
About the "future canon": Some of the previous episodes showing a possible future are connected, like Lisa and Milhouse semi-happily married with a daughter of their own (who may as well be Lisa's clone), Bart and his high-school girlfriend Jenda are divorced with two boys whose names I forget (and have inherited Bart's almost-forgotten ability to read minds), and Maggie (despite never being allowed to speak on-screen) is a world-renown rock star and had a baby on Christmas.
 

Bosque

New member
Mar 5, 2011
46
0
0
It seems obvious that the final episode should, nay, must be... a full hour clip show.
 

WiseBass

New member
Apr 29, 2011
46
0
0
I think that last one - "end is the beginning" - is the most likely. At this point, any ending of The Simpsons is going to draw deep on its massive well of characters and legacy of stories, and that seems like it would be the best one to do that. The only downside is that it would feel rather . . . thin. Aside from the whole "The Simpsons is ending" factor, does that even seem like it would have much of an emotional impact? It would just be one last hurrah for a Simpsons nostalgia fest about all the stuff that went down.

I really like the idea of a "meta" ending, although you would want the three adult Simpsons kids talking about it as if they're doing a commentary (with Maggie definitely as the creator). It would probably be too heart-breaking, though, especially if they ended with a dedication to their dad with a "we miss you so much". I can't ever see them doing it even if it would be so very, very good and sweet if done right.

Lao Jin said:
I vote for a whole seasons worth of different and contradictory endings - Homer dies, Marge dies, Homer becomes president, it was all a dream, a parody of the Lost ending, a parody of the Battlestar Galactica ending, a parody of the Soprano's ending, the Scooby-doo ending, the Truman Show ending, the Groundhog Day ending etc.
Now that would be the greatest way to end it. Do an entire season's worth of false endings.
 

Bat Vader

New member
Mar 11, 2009
4,996
0
0
I think if they do end it they should end it with another film. Perhaps the final season can be devoted to the side characters by giving them some type of closure like Moe finally finding someone, Mr. Burns dying and giving the company to Smithers, ETC. The film should just be devoted to The Simpsons family. Have them go on one last grand adventure that perhaps ends with a character death and have a time skip at the end showing how they all turned out.
 

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
6,719
348
88
Gender
Male
Bat Vader said:
I think if they do end it they should end it with another film. Perhaps the final season can be devoted to the side characters by giving them some type of closure like Moe finally finding someone, Mr. Burns dying and giving the company to Smithers, ETC. The film should just be devoted to The Simpsons family. Have them go on one last grand adventure that perhaps ends with a character death and have a time skip at the end showing how they all turned out.
QFT. Though, I don't know if there are really enough people for a whole season, unless they get down as far as closure for Comic Book Guy (who pretty much got it in the original movie) and Hans Moleman.
 

ghalleon0915

New member
Feb 23, 2014
128
0
0
I like a lot of suggestions in this thread, but the one with an adult Maggie narrating is my favorite.

If Homer does die, he'd better be with his Duff and sprinkled doughnuts. That, or the final line of the series should be "D'oh".