The Simpsons Meeting Family Guy Isn't the Worst Crossover Ever

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I quite enjoyed "The Simpsons Guy", with a few reservations. I see it as showing an inner conflict of lovingly saluting The Simpsons for all its done, and giving a brutal takedown of it. I was blown away by Meg's natural saxophone playing, since she's been through some real shit, which Lisa has not. If anything, she sees Meg as what she could turn into. I agree that Stewie not interacting with Maggie and Brian not going to Moe's for a drink were some real missed opportunities, like Stewie and Maggie comparing firearm skills or Brian being a better Mixologist than Moe. I do think the reason Marge and Lois hanging out was left offscreen was because Marge doesn't have that much character anyway. Funnily enough, didn't MAD Magazine have something like an episode of Wife Swap featuring the Simpsons and Griffins?
shadowstriker86 said:
Surprising to hear that it was tame, considering that in one of the newer episodes of family guy in a banner gag, quagmire rapes marge offscreen, she gets into it, he screws her in her house afterwards and shoots the entire family when homer walks in on them. Here's the ironic thing about that: Not one word was ever spoken about that by either feminists, news networks or online journalists. At least to my knowledge anyway
Oh, Matt Groening heard about it, and he was PISSED OFF about it! If any of the groups you named raised a stink about it, it probably wasn't as loud as anything else going on at the time. I'd look for those opinions myself, but I believe that's the point where I am spending WAY too much time on the Web.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Spot1990 said:
It was pretty terrible. In fact a lot of the "meta" humour just read as a laundry list of why Family Guy is a really uninspired crapfest. And then they made fun of Bob's Burgers? I'm not even a big fan of that show but at the very least from what I've seen Bob's Burgers has some really inventive humour, great characters, is written and voiced by some of the funniest comics working today and doesn't just pad out unfunny jokes so they can hit their running time.
as someone said in the other thread (and I haven't watch it) I think the idea was that family guy "carries" bobs burgers because its not a big rater

but yeah to put it politely Bobs burgers is a "different" kind of show...one that actually tries to engage via characters and situations rather than "shock" humour

sorsa

Dec 19, 2011
*Spoiler* Was kinda hoping the meltdown of the power plant would just level the city and be done with it.

Grew up with the The Simpsons and while Matt Groening was still pouring his genius into each episode, it really was an amazing and witty show. But it has been in an artistically stale and vegetative state for years now.. the crossover provided a chance to pull the plug with a few laughs to go.

Instead we get this fanservice BS where they cater to the sentiments of the aging simpsons zealot fanbase, once again digging up Simpsons jokes that were barely fresh 20 years ago. UGH.

Please let Grandpa die with dignity?

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Cartoon Wars was overrated? I always hated it. When I re-watched various episodes I outright skipped that one.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Bob, I think you're being far too kind to Seth McFarlane and Family Guy in general.

Watching the crossover only made me appreciate The Simpsons way more than Family Guy. You can say what you will about The Simpsons, but at least it isn't a mean-spirited piece of shit that runs every joke into the ground (The car was scene, the chicken fight, Chris' voice impersonations, etc.). There were some moments that made me laugh but its buried under the god-awfulness of what sucked.

If I had to give one comparision piece to show that The Simpsons are way better than Family Guy, its this. The Simpsons gave us Lisa, a well-develop character that, despite her flaws, became an inspiration for women IMO. Family Guy gave us Meg, an emotionally/physically/spiritually-scarred train wreck/punching bag for every sexist, douche-bag cocksucker on that show and gives guys a reason to act as such.

Yeah, fuck you, Seth. There's a reason why I consider Cosmos your only good piece of work.

BTW, why was Doctor Nick in that crossover? Didn't he die in The Simpsons Movie?

Ugh! Please, Jebus. Let the Simpsons/Futurama crossover be way better than what we watched on Sunday.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
It was alright. Much better than that garbage Simpsons premiere at least.
The dogfight cutaway gag made me laugh out loud, the chicken fight with Homer was entertaining and some of the gags gave me a chuckle. Pretty much what I expected.
By contrast, The Simpsons premiere was just a shit version of Like Father Like Clown with no jokes at all.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
DirgeNovak said:
It was alright. Much better than that garbage Simpsons premiere at least.
The dogfight cutaway gag made me laugh out loud, the chicken fight with Homer was entertaining and some of the gags gave me a chuckle. Pretty much what I expected.
By contrast, The Simpsons premiere was just a shit version of Like Father Like Clown with no jokes at all.
IDK, I liked the bit with Jesus granting Rodney Dangerfield's request to turn his water into a Bloody Mary.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Man am I the only one who gets really annoyed at all the passive shots aimed at south park? While there are exceptions for people who don't like cartoons etc, sure, but in general my rule of thumb is if you don't like south park and are an 20's 30's something American that says more about you than it does About South Park...

That being said it does kind of look funny which is about as much as we could hope.

Robbo

Beer <3
Nov 9, 2009
I enjoyed it. Laughed a lot. Love 4th wall jokes. Just binge watched from season 8 and this is probably the best episode in all of them. People take shit too serious and forget to be watching something to laugh and not to take it apart and think what could be done better. If you want to deconstruct something then maybe watch something that isn't just stupid jokes with over the top scenes that they take too far every time.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
I have the sneaking suspicion I've seen all this somewhere before... Oh yeah, that's right. All In The Family, Maude, and The Jeffersons. If Matt Groening and Seth MacFarlane owe anyone for their genre, it's Norman Lear. All Groening and MacFarlane did was animate it. And Wait 'Til Your Father Gets Home (Hanna-Barbera) beat them to that by twenty to thirty years.

BTW, in the Capcha text, Klatu should be Klaatu. If you're going to trivialize a vital trope, you might as well spell it correctly. Have some respect for history.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
shadowstriker86 said:
Surprising to hear that it was tame, considering that in one of the newer episodes of family guy in a banner gag, quagmire rapes marge offscreen, she gets into it, he screws her in her house afterwards and shoots the entire family when homer walks in on them. Here's the ironic thing about that: Not one word was ever spoken about that by either feminists, news networks or online journalists. At least to my knowledge anyway
That gag was forcefully cut/blacked out by Fox in it's initial airing according to the Family Guy dvd commentary.