The Sims is Ten Years Old Today

TheScarecrow

Jul 27, 2009
I drank my wine, if there is more left I shall toast it.

Wait, fuck that, they spend ages releasing expansion after expansion making a fuck tonne.

Though, it is good business practice I suppose.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Dam, Im 17, I remeber coming ome and seeing my brother playing this, and being amzed. 2 weeks later and I couldn't care less though.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
In the time that it took for The Sims to flourish, have hundreds of expansion packs, 2 sequels and an online version - Duke Nukem Forever was worked on and never released. *sigh* That's such a shame.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Thank you, Maxis, for introducing me to the concept of torrenting.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I remember when this all started and palyign Sims for the first time...god, I feel old

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
Pyromaniac1337 said:
It's only HOW OLD!?

Jesus Christ, I'm only 16 and I feel old...
Don't, because here's the kicker:

You are younger than SimCity. Imagine the people on this forum who played that on relase and are now posting in the same forums as you. Ouch.

kawaiiamethist

Nov 21, 2009
Catkid906 said:
Huzzah! Let us make 10 more years of Casual!
No, no, no. The Sims is a full time job, there's nothing casual about it. Sure, you could play it an hour or so and walk away, but you don't. You stay at the computer, adhering to their every whim, and breaking the nearest object when the retarted avatars don't follow orders >.>

Of course, my rage came from the original Sims, I haven't played 2 or 3. But judging by all the expansion packs, I still could never call this a casual game.

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
Ah good old Sims. Can't find a better game to relieve some frustration with the "Fireplace/bear rug/fence" tactic. Happy Birthday!

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
Pretty sure a "new" anniversary edition is comming up now, so hold yourselves for even more hours of torture >:)

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Well, now I have to get around to finally playing a Sims game...

Happy 10th Birthday, inanimate video game franchise!

Quoth

Aug 28, 2008
Since when was 10 years a long time?

As for DOS.. we used to go in to our local electronics retail shop selling BBCs, C64s or Spectrums from basic;

10 Print "I'm an idiot"
20 Goto 10

run

Various changes at the time would include making the screen flash or text change colour to make it really eye catching. Good times.