The Singularity

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
2718 said:
AndyFromMonday said:
Do you honestly think scientists would put the fate of the Earth at stake just to advance science? This discussion is like a point by point flashback to 2008 when loads of people were claiming the LHC was going to destroy the world.
Like how they refused to build a hydrogen bomb, because there was a chance it might ignite the atmosphere of the Earth? Oh wait...

Humans are WAY to curious to leave awesome yet dangerous stuff unexplored. And that's the way it should be. I'd open Pandoras box every time, without regrets.

That's just a myth. Scientists knew full well the disastrous effects of the atomic bomb but they knew damn well there was nothing it could have done to them I.E. igniting the atmosphere.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
thingymuwatsit said:
And most importantly, what will be the consequences?
I leave this question to you, Escapist.
Watch Battlestar Galactica. I believe that we can learn from the mistakes we make in our fiction, and if there is one thing that show (Both iterations) stresses, it is Treat your robots nice, or they will rebel.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
That's just a myth. Scientists knew full well the disastrous effects of the atomic bomb but they knew damn well there was nothing it could have done to them I.E. igniting the atmosphere.
I would need to see proof of that. I have read a lot of books on nuclear weapons, and all of my research points to them feeling that the ignition of the atmosphere's hydrogen was a possibility.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Spade Lead said:
AndyFromMonday said:
I would need to see proof of that. I have read a lot of books on nuclear weapons, and all of my research points to them feeling that the ignition of the atmosphere's hydrogen was a possibility.
Don't put the burden of proof on me. You made a claim, I responded to it. If you have concrete evidence to support your point then provide it.

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
AndyFromMonday said:
Don't put the burden of proof on me. You made a claim, I responded to it. If you have concrete evidence to support your point then provide it.
I will cite this as evidence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ANuclear_weapon/Archive_1

They wouldn't have had to do research if it hadn't been suggested as a hypothesis.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Spade Lead said:
AndyFromMonday said:
I will cite this as evidence: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ANuclear_weapon/Archive_1

They wouldn't have had to do research if it hadn't been suggested as a hypothesis.
From what I've read this was brought up as a concern but eventually debunked before the detonation of the atomic bomb. The concern was minuscule either way. In my opinion, what happened then is similar to what happened in 2008 with the LHC. I believe you're familiar with that and if not I am more than glad to sum it up for you.

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
There is actualy a group of scientist who's goal is to create a sentient super A.I and then keep it in a secure isolated location and teach it morals and how to behave. Essential they intend to treat like how you would bring up a child

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
honestdiscussioner said:
I really don't know why, beyond all the Hollywood movies and books, people think the moment machines are conscious they will have a bloodlust to end all organic life.

It'll probably be fine, and we'll find some way to make our own consciousness non-organic, and therefore not able to die by the usual natural causes.
It's the same as thinking all Aliens will come to conquer earth...

I also find it weird that the word Singularity seems to have become a word only used for that specific scenario of computer intelligence.
I mean the word is pretty well defined in science already, and generally have nothing to do with Computer intelligence at all.

The Tecnological Singularity talks about the point where technological advances become so rapid that it becomes impossible to predict and quantify the future of our technology.

In Mathematics a singularity is generally a undefined point.

So where does killer robots come in?