The Sins Of Advertising

Hebby

Dec 8, 2013
We all know that advertisements are made by lying bed-wetting wankers. And like any celebrity the products need the proper makeup to look like they don't. The same goes for junk food and like in any tabloid the little cunts won't be snapped before they are sure you get the absolutely wrong impression of them. I let the pictures speak for them selves.

If the above isn't your fancy! How about a can of eyeballs in shit!

Or a can of delicious chicken perhaps!

A can of diarrhea to your delight?

And last among these most exquisite of dishes! Canned fish mouths.

It is all out there for your consumption.

You have horror stories regarding food to share? Please do! And my first thread on Escapist. Wohoo!

PS! Sorry Escapist. Still learning here. Will remember the spoiler tag next time.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
In more positive news, the last time I went to McDonalds my soda looked just like in the pictures.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Baffle said:
Queen Michael said:
In more positive news, the last time I went to McDonalds my soda looked just like in the pictures.
Was that before or after you drank it?
Both!

Baffle said:
I know it's bad for me, but I actually really like McDonald's cheeseburgers. Almost never have them though.
I love those cheesburgers too. It's a good thing I don't live close to a McDonald's.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Dear god, I can practically taste the Salmonella from that canned chicken picture.

Andysweden

May 21, 2014
Hebby said:
We all know that advertisements are made by lying bed-wetting wankers. And like any celebrity the products need the proper makeup to look like they don't. The same goes for junk food and like in any tabloid the little cunts won't be snapped before they are sure you get the absolutely wrong impression of them. I let the pictures speak for them selves.

You have horror stories regarding food to share? Please do!
And my first thread on Escapist. Wohoo!
And this is news to anybody?
Was the profanity absolutely necessary?

A friend of mine worked as a food photographer, this is standard practice.
I'd be more worried about the people who work at these fast food restaurants and how they reacted to some smart ass asking them to make the burger look like it does on the posters.

False Messiah

Afflicted with DDDS
Jan 29, 2009
Andysweden said:
No, but why aren't we outraged? Look at the backlash Watch_Dogs got when the visuals where downgraded compared to the e3 trailers. If you advertise with thing a, and then sell us thing b that looks a lot worse, people should get angry. Just don't go and blame it on the people who work there, they are not to blame IMO.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
If you think that McDonald's and Burger King constitute "junk food", then you have absolutely no idea just how bad it gets. Consider "light" beer for a moment. Back in '70's, when "light" beer was still a tiny niche product, marketed mainly to calorie-conscious women, one of the major American brewers (I don't remember which one and I can't find the book offhand) decided to bring it into the mainstream market. The idea was to use professional athletes, to show that, hey, this is a manly drink too! The problem was that the law said you couldn't do that. So they used retired athletes, which worked brilliantly- a little older and a little paunchier than their currently active peers, they were easier to relate to for the middle-aged demographic, and light beer sold wonderfully.

Smelling blood in the water, advertisers for dozens of foodstuffs leapt on the bandwagon, buoyed by the fact that there were (at the time) very few regulations on using the word "light". Thus you had "light" versions of products that were lighter in color, lighter in texture- my favorite was the Sara Lee "light" cheesecake that actually had more fat and calories than the original, but which weighed two ounces less, and was thus lighter. Eventually, the government began cracking down on this nonsense, at which point many of these companies simply switched over to "lite", which wasn't an actual word and thus was easier to weasel around with. Lawyers weakened that too, but it's still in common use.

Use advertising as a means of learning that a product or service exists. Nothing more. To do otherwise, in this day and age, is foolish at best.

Hebby

Dec 8, 2013
Andysweden said:

I'd be more worried about the people who work at these fast food restaurants and how they reacted to some smart ass asking them to make the burger look like it does on the posters.
You defend someone who sells a lie for a living and blame the minimum wage workers who cannot possible live up to it? Standard practice does not in any way make it right.

Hebby

Dec 8, 2013
Aeshi said:
Dear god, I can practically taste the Salmonella from that canned chicken picture.
Look at the bright side. It's canned and therefor durable... Not helping I know^^

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
Andysweden said:
Hebby said:

You have horror stories regarding food to share? Please do!
And my first thread on Escapist. Wohoo!
Well I dont know about necessary but I had to crack a smile at "bed wetting wankers" ;)

Andysweden said:
The unforunate truth is that anyone (like you friend) caught being what you might call "truly" honest in an advertising setting will last for about as long as a snowman in the firey pits of hell. It's one of those trades where the description "dont hate the player hate the game" actually carries weight - because the game has been rigged for so long its become completely normal.

Hebby

Dec 8, 2013
Mr_Spanky said:
The unforunate truth is that anyone (like you friend) caught being what you might call "truly" honest in an advertising setting will last for about as long as a snowman in the firey pits of hell. It's one of those trades where the description "dont hate the player hate the game" actually carries weight - because the game has been rigged for so long its become completely normal.
Truth has been spoken here.

Hebby

Dec 8, 2013
Baffle said:
but I actually really like McDonald's cheeseburgers. Almost never have them though.
It's not about the taste. It's about the marketing which is as dishonest as Lindsay Lohan's claims to sobriety.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
HOLD ON A MINUTE!! There is canned chicken? Full size chicken IN A CAN???!!!

Please tell me that is a joke and not really sold in the US?

Hebby

Dec 8, 2013
Paradox SuXcess said:

I am sorry to inform you that this isn't a joke. It should be by any universal standard what humor is concerned.
But sadly it isn't. I fact checked the product.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
Hebby said:
Paradox SuXcess said:

I am sorry to inform you that this isn't a joke. It should be by any universal standard what humor is concerned.
It looks like a lab experiment.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Hebby said:
Paradox SuXcess said:

Jesus Triple H Christ!!!

Who...

How...

The fuck!!

Shouldn't there be a giant god damn red flag from your national food... department (?) about that?

Why am I being so serious about this? If a company is willing to sell whole chicken in a can then there must be people dumb enough to buy this and not actually think, "Hey maybe we should go to the butchers or the market to buy actual non tinned whole chicken for the family".

Meanwhile in Africa and Asia...

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
Well gosh this is nightmare fuel (serious canned chicken ...yuck) . Few years ago, I was watching Chefette ad on CBC about a chicken pasta thing. I was interested in it and bought it. I actually bought a burnt food that tasted horrible which is obviously did not look like when it advertised.

I was burn so hard on it. I was soo depressed.

Another time, my sister and I was buying rainbow snow cones at the ice-cream truck. The picture of it was very colourful and bright. WELL..... when I ate mines, it literally taste like glass. I thought it was too frozen so I add condense milk hoping it will taste better .... It still taste horrible.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Hebby said:
*Canned Mexican... Squid paste?*
*Canned Chicken*
*Canned Hamburgers*
In all fairness, the first images taken are of a finished product. The second image is the raw ingredients out of the can, and it will take some time an cooking to get it to resemble the first image.

Still, no excuse for the fast food from not appearing as advertised.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I just love it when you are reading an advert, everything looks awesome, and then at the end you you see a great big asterisk and a disclaimer that is bigger than the actual ad.

It happens a lot with money lending services.

Borrow up to £1000! It is quick, easy, and you will receive your money within 5 minutes!*

[small]*But the interest rate is so high that you will have to rob a bank, sell your soul to the devil, and let someone harvest one of your kidneys just so that you can afford to pay them back, because in 5 minutes, you will owe them 17x what they originally loaned you. Getting in debt has never been so easy![/small]