The Soul of Gaming?

BulletMagTrig

Nov 14, 2011
I've been going around several of these posts, reviews, and rants and trying to take away something meaningful. I know, first mistake. I keep hearing people talk about how (specific) game/s are soul-less, co-outs, or un-fulfilling in some way. I know that some games are obviously like this, such as BF3's single player campaign (Which somehow managed to get a novel interpretation.) and some other titles that should have never been. (Metroid Other M anyone?)

However, some games receive these criticism and I can't help but feel they are unfair, or the arguments made about them just seem unfair. Games from Nintendo are often fodder for being soul-less, the Halo franchise has earned this credit, and Skyrim has had a number of posts about them not living up to "expectations".

Some reasons for this are unfair analogies, gamer elitism, forum trolls, and over-hyped fan bases. However, these are not what I want to talk about!

What is the Soul of a Game, or Gaming in general? What is it that is at the core of our decisions to spend $40+ on games? What are your thoughts on this? Where/What is the Soul of a Game?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I would say that the Soul of a Game is Escapism.

And no, I'm not just saying that as some sort of site related pun.

Panorama

Carry on Jeeves
Dec 7, 2010
anthony87 said:

Yeah i think the thread can be closed!

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Well the fact that none of us have fuck all better to do might come into it. Or is that just me?

EDIT:

OT: I believe the reason we spend money on games is because its something to do, something to enjoy and something to pass the time with.... I mean I live in the most obscure village in the UK, noone else my own age lives there (except for some asshole who I REALLY HATE!) so yeah I do it because I'm bored and need something to do.

BulletMagTrig

Nov 14, 2011
Escapism is what a lot of people play for, but it isn't everything. Maybe I should suggest you list a game you have found a soul in and explain why you believe its there?

People also play for realism in experiencing things that they could do in real life, how would Escapism explain this if it is the Soul of Gaming?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Sigh, ain't that the million dollar question. Truth be told, I have no idea, it's like asking what gives a human a soul, there's probably an answer but bugger if I know.

Darh Abdomino

Sep 20, 2010
anthony87 said:

Case point on why there should be a thumbs up button.

In my opinion, the soul of a game is that the campaign is interesting, immersive and unique, the multiplayer is fun, balanced, and interesting, and it's a definite option when you hang out with buddies. Games like Halo (especially the original), Battlefield (minus the campaign, but I'll forgive Dice because they had to make it), LOTR:BFM II, KOTOR, and others come to mind. They were/are games that you could waste hours on with friends and want more. Things that just make it seem like "push-button, thing kills other thing, get points for more things that kill other things" without expanding it beyond that are the "soulless abominations". In the interest of avoiding a flame war, I'm not posting examples of it.

And to completely seal myself from raging fanboys, no, I don't believe Call of Duty (As made by Infinity Ward) is soulless. The campaigns for all three games were some of the best I've played and there were next to no real quick-time events (I define real as Yahtzee's "push x not to die", not like where you're sliding down a cliff).

Sidremus

Mar 14, 2011
For me, gaming always had three sides to it:
First, and the easiest to get from, well nearly every game, is a fun time.
You know, just chilling out, with a friend or alone and playing a game, and just be taken away.
This sometimes also is escapism.
For me this could can happen with pretty much any game, Super Smash Bros., Halo, LoL, but also Deadspace or Farcry 2.

Second, and not that easy to find, but still common, are games that just impress you on some level. Like in Halo 1 when you set you foot on the Halo for the first time, look at the horizon and just go "Wow!". But not only those moments, because since I am interested in games and gaming beyond the wow-factor. Games like Quake 1, really old already, but playing it and understanding, how a really simple game, with very low recourse requirements, is yet able to be so impressively fun just because the great leveldesign and atmosphere.

And the third thing, in my opinion the finest and rarest thing you can find in games.
That moment, when you experienced something really special in a game, something truly astonishing, that makes you put your gamepad down, lean back from the keyboard. Makes you think, and maybe even makes you change the way you see the world around you.
This is something you realy rarely find in a game, just as in any other kind of media, yet anywhere in life. But for me, thats what games are all about, being able to have an experience. And an experience nearly as immersive as real life, yet in a world thats abstract and where the impossible is possible.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
The soul is the content on the disc , DUH!

OT: not a clue, couldn't tell you if my life depended on it .