The Space Between Us - Get it? Because Outer Space?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009

The Space Between Us is another terrible movie. Can the good films get here already?

Read Full Article

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Marter said:

The Space Between Us is another terrible movie. Can the good films get here already?

Read Full Article
LEGO Batman and John Wick 2 are right around the corner.

On the other hand, so is Fifty Shades Darker. Judging by the IMDB release list, you're in for a bumpy few months.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Well you know what they say... Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids.

I can't say I'm surprised but also a tad disappointed, the premise seemed kinda interesting but you can tell how bad some of the execution and acting is from the trailer.

Apr 17, 2009
Is Mars' gravity really that much lower than Earth's? Like, I get its smaller but its still planet sized enough that we aren't pulling a Pluto on it. Would Earth really be that lethal to him?

Zendervai

Feb 1, 2010
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Is Mars' gravity really that much lower than Earth's? Like, I get its smaller but its still planet sized enough that we aren't pulling a Pluto on it. Would Earth really be that lethal to him?
Mars is like half the size of Earth, and the surface gravity of Mars is like 38% that of Earth. (Gravity doesn't scale with size, it scales with mass and Mars isn't as dense as Earth). It really would be a huge problem. It would literally be crushing him to death. Plus all the microorganisms that wouldn't be present in a closed, filtered system.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Yeah, going from Mars to Earth would be like a 150 pound person putting on a 250 pound backpack. Yikes!

Not really, though. More like a 56 pound person putting on a 94 pound backpack? Hmm. I dunno. Does anybody really know? We don't have any low-grav kids to study.

Honestly the problem is likely to be bone density. (It's a significant problem with astronauts.) He'd probably be like an old person who needs a walker and if he falls down, he'll break a hip.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
No "How Clever!"?

Honestly, a lot of the concepts used in this movie actually seemed kind of legit, but then I reminded myself that it is a YA romance. Yuck. And yet, for whatever reason, I'm still interested in knowing how it ends. :|

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Mahorfeus said:
No "How Clever!"?

Honestly, a lot of the concepts used in this movie actually seemed kind of legit, but then I reminded myself that it is a YA romance. Yuck. And yet, for whatever reason, I'm still interested in knowing how it ends. :|
Wikipedia is your friend.

You do have to wait a bit after the movie comes out though. The Wikipedia page plot is a mere blurb still (just checked). But I often read the Wikipedia plot summaries of films Im curious about but dont intend to see.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
What I can't figure out about this movie is how this kid is not a national media sensation the SECOND he touches down on Earth.

I mean, think about it: a person, the first person ever, who was not born on Earth and grew up on another planet, is finally coming to Earth for the first time. That would be a media firestorm. He would be booked for weeks on talk shows and whatnot. And yet, in the trailer, no one recognizes him. Why? Did they keep him a secret all this time? Did they manage to land the shuttle without the world finding out?
Or is there some other reason that that movie gives?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
What I can't figure out about this movie is how this kid is not a national media sensation the SECOND he touches down on Earth.

I mean, think about it: a person, the first person ever, who was not born on Earth and grew up on another planet, is finally coming to Earth for the first time. That would be a media firestorm. He would be booked for weeks on talk shows and whatnot. And yet, in the trailer, no one recognizes him. Why? Did they keep him a secret all this time? Did they manage to land the shuttle without the world finding out?
Or is there some other reason that that movie gives?
They kept him a secret and in the near-future apparently traveling to Mars won't be as big a deal as we in the present would think.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Mahorfeus said:
No "How Clever!"?

saw it tonight. my wife wanted to see something a bit romantic and the rings is not the best romantic film ever created

so ending :

the guy is chasing his father. he have two things, a picture, and a wedding ring made by some shaman. they track the shaman, get the address, go see his father, to found out that he's not his father, but his uncle. then gary oldman show up, revealed himself has his father, send him into space to save him by piloting a kind of space plane, then they both goes to mars. the girl stay on earth, but you see her training at a nasa facility, so she might go to mars some day ?

amyway, it was... it's a teenage romance flick. it's better than twillight.

one thing that bugged me for a reason, it that ok, they go on mars. so let's say that should be maybe in ten years. then, 16 years passed since he was born. so that's at least 26 years into the future. right ? But when they are on earth, beside having some king of plexiglass laptop, everything is 2017 tech. the cars, everybody have iphones 7, ipad and mac computer (yeah, huge product placement apple...), etc. nothing at all have been made to look like we are 26 years in the future.

Zendervai said:
Mars is like half the size of Earth, and the surface gravity of Mars is like 38% that of Earth. (Gravity doesn't scale with size, it scales with mass and Mars isn't as dense as Earth). It really would be a huge problem. It would literally be crushing him to death. Plus all the microorganisms that wouldn't be present in a closed, filtered system.
well, part pf the plot is that they cover his bones with nano-carbon tubes to make them stronger, and make him exercise a lot before he go on earth. but then his heart is too big and too weak to keep him alive long on earth. Of course, i guess they could transplanted him a new heart, which would cost way less than ship him back to Mars.

but i agree he should have die from catching half a dozen of virus on earth, since he lived in a sterile environnement for all his life.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
He'd also need to learn how to walk again. You need to lift your leg a certain amount to walk forwards, and then you let it drop under gravity. People do this all the time so it's instinctive, he'd have to learn new habits. Like someone who has driven a race care every day of their lives suddenly getting behind the wheel of a semi-trailer.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
008Zulu said:
So why doesn't the girl go to Mars to visit him for a week or so?
it's hinted that she might does it sometime in the future

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
On top of all the other things wrong with this movie, that's not even how gravity works.

If anything returning to Earth would make this kid much much healthier. Human bodies evolved for earth gravity, growing up in a different level of gravity wouldn't cause your body to magically adapt to that level of gravity, it just makes you waste away and die unless you do things to stimulate the muscles worked by earth gravity, like working out a lot or sitting in a centrifuge for a few minutes each day.

Like, the worst that would happen is that he'd feel wretched and throw up a lot for a while, which would probably kill the mood of romantic road trip adventures but wouldn't be a serious threat if properly treated.