The Spoiler That Changed the World

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Hubilub said:
I don't really agree with your analogy.

Firstly, Iron Man is in the Marvel universe, and so a lot of people would've expected that things like Thor would've joined the show.

The Godfather is not part of a universe like that, and so your analogy is faulty.

Secondly, the avengers movie and the presence of Thor was announced before this film. And so, many would've expected some sort of cameo like this.

I'm not saying it wasn't epic, because it really was. But it wasn't mind-blowing and I firmly believe that it was more about fan-service than actually making audiences unknown to Thor aware of him.

Oh, and I take it that you're talking about Mandarin at the end of your article? He was announced as a possible villain for Iron Man 2 after the first one, and so it was never out of reach for the second installment. Plus, since the gang from the first film was a direct reference to him, he'll probably show up soon.
Bob is doing it from the perspective of someone who's never read any marvel crossover comics.

Iron Man is firmly grounded in a technologically high tech world that seemingly has zero magic, demon, angels, gods or aliens or even mutants.(which probally won't happen since X-men are not gonna be apart of the Avengers Universe at the moment.) So showing of a Ancient Hammer like Thor's without explanation isn't something you'd understand right away. (Like if half-way into Zombie Land a UFO crashes in the middle of the road and helps out Little Rock and Tellahassee wouldn't make a ton of sense.)

Now if you have read a Thor Comic or one of his Cross-overs you'd know what's up (If you didn't already from the Internet.) but with the fact that a Norse God is on the scene changes the known limitations of what's capible of happening like Bob said Like how the ARK Light Reactor grants massive amounts of power in a tiny package. Current Science can't do it but Super Science can.

Edit: Not saying you don't know about Thor just that people who don't won't know what's going on as well and could be amazed later.

Saarai-fan

Nov 12, 2009
Chances are we'll get Mandarin in Iron Man 3, if they'll be another Iron Man. I once read in some magazine, I forget which one, but it had one of the writers of the Iron Man film in it being interviewed, and he explained why Mandarin wasn't in Iron Man or why he wouldn't be in the second movie. He explained it would be like bringing in the Emperor from the Episode VI of the Star Wars films into Episode IV or V. You save the biggest guy of them all for last. However, if that's how it is, I wouldn't be surprised if they save him for the Avengers movie.

UglyQuentin

Jun 8, 2009
i've been quite surprised that in all your iron man and marvel related talks you've never mentioned the possibility of another hulk sequel even though in the incredible hulk we see Hulk's arch-nemesis, The Leader, being created

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Hubilub said:
Secondly, the avengers movie and the presence of Thor was announced before this film. And so, many would've expected some sort of cameo like this.

I'm not saying it wasn't epic, because it really was. But it wasn't mind-blowing and I firmly believe that it was more about fan-service than actually making audiences unknown to Thor aware of him.

Oh, and I take it that you're talking about Mandarin at the end of your article? He was announced as a possible villain for Iron Man 2 after the first one, and so it was never out of reach for the second installment. Plus, since the gang from the first film was a direct reference to him, he'll probably show up soon.
Nailed it on the head. MovieBob waaay overacted, if he didnt see something like that coming a mile away the he hasnt been a movie critic very long and is oblivious to the Marvel-verse.

And dont compare Ironman to Batman its just wrong, two differnet types of hero's so of course there movies will be completly different. In fact he's whole backing of Ironman2 scares me a little.

Bob is mostly truthful when reviewing movies but he likes to rip into movies I like, The new Star Trek and the new Transformers movies being just a few examples. He does get it right occasionally, Clash of the Titans, but he was overly critcal. I liked Iron Man but that could be the exception not the rule.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Lucane said:
Hubilub said:
I don't really agree with your analogy.

Firstly, Iron Man is in the Marvel universe, and so a lot of people would've expected that things like Thor would've joined the show.

The Godfather is not part of a universe like that, and so your analogy is faulty.

Bob is doing it from the perspective of someone who's never read any marvel crossover comics.

Iron Man is firmly grounded in a technologically high tech world that seemingly has zero magic, demon, angels, gods or aliens or even mutants.(which probally won't happen since X-men are not gonna be apart of the Avengers Universe at the moment.) So showing of a Ancient Hammer like Thor's without explanation isn't something you'd understand right away. (Like if half-way into Zombie Land a UFO crashes in the middle of the road and helps out Little Rock and Tellahassee wouldn't make a ton of sense.)

Now if you have read a Thor Comic or one of his Cross-overs you'd know what's up (If you didn't already from the Internet.) but with the fact that a Norse God is on the scene changes the known limitations of what's capible of happening like Bob said Like how the ARK Light Reactor grants massive amounts of power in a tiny package. Current Science can't do it but Super Science can.

Edit: Not saying you don't know about Thor just that people who don't won't know what's going on as well and could be amazed later.
Well what I'm saying is that showing Thor's hammer after the credits was never meant to confuse people. It was meant as fan-service for people who likes marvel. By now everyone knows that most marvel films have something like that after the credits nowadays. If you didn't know what it was, you'll google it, see that it's Thor, and be indifferent because you don't know about the character.

The Godfather example would have nothing at all to do with Star Wars. It would just be a complete ass pull to do something like that. Nobody would get it, nobody would point back to the Godfather after seeing Star Wars and say "Hey, that's really clever", they would say "Hey, that's fucking stupid and ruined one of the greatest mob films ever due to its stupidity".

It doesn't even make sense if you discard the fact that it's completely random to have a light saber in the ending, because Star Wars is set way ahead of Godfather 2 (remember, a long long loooong time ago), which would just make it even more stupid.

So in short, comparing the after-credits scene in Iron Man 2 to a made-up scene with Robert Duvall finding a light saber does not make any sense whatsoever.

Dr. Dan Challis

Sep 18, 2009
I'm not sure how any sane person could expect an Avengers movie to be anything other than a total disaster. In fact, I'd be willing to lay down money that it winds up being such a fiasco that it effectively sounds the death knell for comic book movies for a good decade. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Aerodyth said:
The funny part is that he had vibranium sitting in his garage the entire time.
Well, he has something that resembles Captain America's shield. That doesn't mean that it's the shield though. More likely they'll spin it that it's a prototype Stark made, and retrofit it into the original shield. Stark "upgraded" the shield a few different times over the years, so it would make sense.

Also, with SHIELD finding the shield, this brings up the question of how does Thor get his hammer? Does he go to SHIELD and ask politely? Unless SHIELD gives it to him early in the movie, will he go the majority of the film without his signature weapon?
It depends on which Thor origin they base it on. If it's the original, a 'human' picks up the hammer and discovers that they're actually Thor (sent to earth by Odin to learn humility). Ultimate Thor, on the other hand, just kind of came with the hammer, and doesn't have a human alter-ego. With few exceptions, characters that are not Thor can't pick up the hammer.

I suspect they'll be going with some hybrid of the two, leaning towards the latter version - that's what Iron Man seems to imply. The 'Avenger Initiative' as being put together by Samuel L. Fury seems to line up a lot more with the Ultimates than the classic Avengers.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Dr. Dan Challis said:
I'm not sure how any sane person could expect an Avengers movie to be anything other than a total disaster. In fact, I'd be willing to lay down money that it winds up being such a fiasco that it effectively sounds the death knell for comic book movies for a good decade. Which is not necessarily a bad thing.
Comic book movies already had a decade long death knell. It was called Batman & Robin. I'm not sure how any sane person could just completely right off a movie thats at least three years away from being made, especially when you consider what studio is behind it all.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Aerodyth said:
twm1709 said:
BTW: was I the only one to assume the element Tony created was to be called VIBRANIUM? just wiki it.

Also, with SHIELD finding the shield, this brings up the question of how does Thor get his hammer? Does he go to SHIELD and ask politely? Unless SHIELD gives it to him early in the movie, will he go the majority of the film without his signature weapon?
In no particular order...

- I could be wrong, but I think people are misinterpreting the "shield" joke in this, i.e. I don't think that's ACTUALLY supposed to be Captain America's shield. In the first movie, there was a random object on Stark's desk that the internet thought was the shield because it kinda looked like it in freeze-frame. In IM2, if you look at the way the scene is timed, it seems like it was meant to be a fake-out - i.e. the agent holds up that same random object, Stark goes "that's it!!!" drumroll... and then they use it to prop up the dohickey. "Gotcha!" I think it's just a bit of fun being had at the expense of people who've been clue-hunting like mad ever since that big S.H.I.E.L.D. crate turned up. Speaking of which...

- ...It actually looks like the shield "joke" is distracting people from what could be a HUGE reveal a few scenes earlier. Nick Fury says he knew Howard Stark because he helped found S.H.I.E.L.D. Howard Stark who's been dead for several decades. How OLD is Nick Fury? See, here's the thing: the LOOK of this guy is based on the "Ultimate" Nick Fury, who's just a regular (albeit badass and well-connected) guy, but the majority of the story/character beats for all the Avengers-related movies so far have drawn more from the "normal" Marvel universe... and in THAT world, Nick Fury is IMMORTAL (he takes a serum, it's complicated) and has been around doing hero-stuff since at least WWII, where he was the leader of a special-ops army team called "The Howling Commandos." Said Commandos, in some form, are supposed to turn up somewhere in the Captain America movie. So is Jackson, but everyone assumed he'd be at the end in the "present" or in setting up a flashback... but maybe he'll just be "there?" I dunno.

- These movies don't all take place in "order" thus-far, so I imagine that Mjolnir being in a crater is the result of something that happens in the middle or at the END of "Thor." For example, if you look quick during the scene with Fury at the end of IM2, you'll see that one of the TVs is tuned to a live news report from Culver University, which is where the big midpoint battle from "Incredible Hulk" took place. So, apparently, most of Hulk happens in between the last hour or so of IM2 and it's own Stark-cameo.

- The "rules" in regular Marvel are that only Thor or someone who's just as "worthy" can lift the hammer, though sometimes noble can be superceded by "really, really strong." Captain America can lift it, as can various other Thor god characters, and a few others. I think in one of the inter-company crossover thingees, they had Wonder Woman do it, as well (I seem to remember in the same "event" that Superman COULDN'T do it, but then could once Thor "let him."

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
Noelveiga said:
The truth is superhero movies are their own genre, and they're all about things that aren't real. We geeks like to think Iron Man is this sci-fi romp with robot-like armor and mad scientists, but it's not. It's a superhero movie. Iron Man is not a piece of technology, it's a superpower. It's flying and shooting energy beams and having superstrength, and it's basically interchangeable with being a mutant or being bitten by a powers-giving spider.
Exactly.

This is like the second or third article about how sticking Iron Man and Thor in the same movie is going to alter the very concept of genre, even though they've long been together in one superhero "universe" and most superhero fiction combines magical faux-science, technology-that-works-like-magic, and straight-up magic all the time. One might as well gush about the exciting genre-defying qualities of the Great Gazoo.

-- Alex

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
While we see significant differences between mythic fantasy and sci-fi, at the end of the day they all fall into the same box of 'fantasy' which means not reality. Things that are fantastic. There are no real rules here. Not as much has really changed, I think.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Yes, Iron Man has been broadly set in a plausible alternative to the real world thus far. But with the lead up to the Avengers film, they'll inevitably have to stretch that. As of the opening of IM 2, Tony Stark basically owns the world and is the undisputedly most powerful dude. After all, in that world there are no 'super heroes' - just some kick arse tech.

I don't know how they'll make Thor and Captain America (and whoever else) work in a semi-realistic setting, but by their mere superheroic presence they will have to diminish Iron Man's relative importance within the world.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
Aerodyth said:
twm1709 said:
BTW: was I the only one to assume the element Tony created was to be called VIBRANIUM? just wiki it.

That would be painfully videogame of them wouldn't it? It'd be just like Metroid . . . the signature character, the signature look, but oops, lost everything within 5 mins so no super mc-awesomepants special weapons of mass EPIC for you untill 20 hours from now. Just in time for one boss fight and the credits roll. That would be VERY disapointing.

As for you BOB!

I was kind of disapointed you never ONCE mentioned the shield being used as essentially a glorified paperweight. The men in the scene (stark hismelf and his friend)not even once mentioning that it was there, but moving it around and specifically putting it in plain view for us all to see. CAPTAIN is coming it says to us, bold and giant letters. CAPTAIN IS COMING AND STARK WILL MAKE HIM ANGRY. I know his movie is meant to be an "origin story" and if the details of the hulk movie were true and he's currently frozen just imagine how pissed off he will be that his shield is in that shape . . . and that it was used for that purpose . . .

Now, I've never been a big fan of "cap" and frankly, I don't know if you ever were Bob, but I figured the shield itself being not only trotted out and therefore outing the first Iron man for having the sheild in his desk, everyone asked "is that captain america's shield? can it be?" and now it's ousted for everyone to know and instead you only mention the hammer at the end? was it because the hammer alone was the more "HOLY SHIT YOU GUYS!" moment? had you forgotten the shield had been in the movie? honestly Bob, come on . . . what happened man?

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
ENKC said:
Yes, Iron Man has been broadly set in a plausible alternative to the real world thus far. But with the lead up to the Avengers film, they'll inevitably have to stretch that. As of the opening of IM 2, Tony Stark basically owns the world and is the undisputedly most powerful dude. After all, in that world there are no 'super heroes' - just some kick arse tech.

I don't know how they'll make Thor and Captain America (and whoever else) work in a semi-realistic setting, but by their mere superheroic presence they will have to diminish Iron Man's relative importance within the world.
You're forgetting one tiny detail, the fact that most often these hero groups (despite things like the justice league scenario or . . . worse yet . . . "super friends" The REAL seeming groups always work the way S.H.I.E.L.D. does. No one knows who they are, they're a shadow company, black ops OF the black ops. This is the kind of group buried SO deep under red tape and layers of bureaucracy that not even Nick Fury would know for sure if it exists. Meaning that Iron Man won't be perse taken down the ladder a few rungs, but RATHER, he'll be kept under Bruce Wayne level secrecy, being one of few to know what the hell is ACTUALLY going on.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Well, to me, it doesn't change the setting at all. It just mean it's a regular American comics setting, i.e. a clusterfuck of conflicting origin stories elbowing each other to make as much sense as possible while remaining true to their original ideas.

If at the center of the crater there had been, say, a naked pale man wearing a strange helmet [http://www.dccomics.com/vertigo/graphic_novels/?gn=1696], then I would say it was something strange. I would also probably stalk and viciously murder a number of executive producers.