The status of online gaming services in Eastern Europe

NerdElf

Jun 28, 2009
Hello, fellow Escapists, I, NerdElf have something that might interest you.
In the past months i've observed an increasing attention to some problems of the gaming world. It is good to petition on releasing those RPG's in America, it is good to petition for less FPS clones, it is generally good to petition on anything that makes the gaming world better, but why doesn't anyone petition anymore for the introduction of Xbox Live, PS Network or the shop channels used by Nintendo into the eastern european market?
Seriously now, it's a big deal. The countries in there do not have acces to those things. I own a Wii, but I can't go online with it. That is the case with many consoles. In Romania, for example, the console market is going great. Xbox 360, PS 2, PS 3, Wii, DS, DSi, 3DS, anything is sold here, but there is no Xbox Live, PS Network, or Shop Channels. And no warning about that either. That is the situation everywhere. The products are there, but no online. People are wasting money on them. Not only in Romania, but everywhere. Serbia, Albania, Macedonia, Bulgary, you name it, it's not there.
Why are Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft so east-phobic (Is there a general term used to describe hatred against eastern europeans in general or are there only terms for distinct nationalities? Too lazy to google). I mean, it's not like there are no gamers there who wouldn't enjoy tea bagging each other in Halo. On the contrary, there's alot of gamers there. A big lot.
I know the economical situation o that area isn't exactly good, but people still have enough money to buy a game every two months.
In my opinion, online services should reach behind the Iron Curtain.
Sorry for any typping errors, but I am using Windows's On-Screen keyboard because my mom spilled cofee all over the physical one.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
They would need to put servers up in those regions, meaning they need regional offices out there to do it. If they haven't then the soulless ghouls who we call the Marketing department for each company must have evaluated those countries and decided there wasn't enough of a profit margin to be gained and running them through the ones in the UK would most likely cause huge lag for you guys and the influx of players to the UK servers would lag us out too.

Once the recession subsides, who knows?

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Dragunai said:
They would need to put servers up in those regions, meaning they need regional offices out there to do it.
Not necessarily. If they pay for data centre services, they don't need offices. MMOs may have servers dispersed about the world, but they'll generally only have one or two office locations.

Personally I find it strange they don't allow connections to the Western servers - not sure what the UK consoles used in terms of servers - only one I have is a very dusty wii, and I haven't ever investigated where the IP traffic goes.

NerdElf

Jun 28, 2009
Well, there's a Nintendo of Europe that takes care of all european servers. And there's a Microsoft Romania which could take care of more than one country. Dunno about Sony, though.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
You could always upgrade your PC a little and buy games on Steam. Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will come round pretty quick if enough people do that.

Until the next generation of consoles at least, PCs are the better platform anyway.