The Story Behind Alien: Colonial Marine's Failure

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
7 year of development widdled down to 9 months of production because of stupidity. Great work Sega, Gearbox, and Timegate. How about firing all the upper management? Its pretty obvious the fault lies with them. But you know they'll just fire all the programmers who had absolutely no choice in the matter.

Epic Fail 1977

Dec 14, 2010
Oh good. Prior to this article it'd been at least a few days since a game "journalist" had reminded me that I'm an entitled brat.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
BrotherRool said:
It's interesting that apparently the demo was just running on a high end PC, because the videos comparing the demo with game footage were using PC game footage. I guess they stripped all the good stuff out?
Yeah the article mentions that they had to scale it back for mid-range PCs in a hurry, so they botched it. Both of those things are entirely Gearbox's mismanagement.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
rembrandtqeinstein said:
-- marines have big loud guns but are easily dispatched at close range, and are vulnerable to ambush and darkness
-- aliens are speed demons and can run full speed on any surface, but are fragile and easily killed if caught out in the open
That is ONLY the 2nd Movie. The first one was more of a 1on1 horror movie, where Ripley just ran away as it was all she could do. Doesn't sound like a fun game to me. And in 3, it was pretty much the same, but with more people. And less scary. Again, not fun.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
My big question for this fiasco is how is this going to affect Gearbox? Obviously, there is the possibility that Sega might sue, but even if they don't, what publisher is going to want to sign a contract with Gearbox after all of this shit? I sure as hell know that I wouldn't.

I think that no matter how any of this goes, Gearbox is going to be negatively affected by this. And honestly, they should be.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Seems like a dodge to me actually. While plausible it seems like a way of engaging in a bit of less damning self-flagellation to try and sidestep the accusation that they intentionally engaged in deception and produced a piece of shovelware they were trying to pass off as an actual game.

The bottom line of all the hemming and hawing, other than to try and deflect accusations onto The Publisher, seems to be that they are claiming that the demo they showed wasn't created as a lie, but was an "as per instructions" game conception going back however many years.

The problem with the claims here as I see it is that nothing they showed in the demo really isn't possible for the current level of technology. The Demo was cool, in part because it was believable and wasn't promising anything that can't be done with current tech and performed stabilly, it was basically applying all of the bells and whistles we expect from current technology and have seen elsewhere to a franchise people wanted to see treated that way. This is also not a case where a few things were stripped.

It also raises questions as to why the game was using 5 year old game and art assets and not supporting anything newer, what your looking at isn't some last minute downsizing, but the appearance that they basically took the fasted and cheapest toolbox availible and decided to churn out a game. I don't disbelieve the 9 month dev cycle, I just disbelieve that this was unintended from the beginning.

Such are my thoughts, and I know many will disagree with me. To me this smacks of an evasion of sorts, a differant style than we normally see, but an evasion none the less. "We screwed up" to this extent is rare for the game industry to admit, but it's better than what has otherwise been flying about A:CM... and really this not being intentional and planned out in more detail seems unlikely.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Monsterfurby said:
DrunkOnEstus said:
However, it's also negligent of Sega to keep handing over milestone checks for 4 years with only art assets to show for it.
Having worked as a project manager for a developer, I can unfortunately say that this is quite common. Many publishers (and developers) have no discipline whatsoever when it comes to development goals/milestones - some just keep handing over money without wanting to see anything delivered (leading to a long stretch at the end of development, where the developer gets no money while working on the still-unfinished product or just games being released in an unfinished state), other just don't pay at all.
Seriously? That seems like a pretty messed up way to run a company/industry.

You'd think with the absurd amount of experience these companies demand of prospective employees they would actually be able to hire people who are actually good at what they do. Or is it like almost every other creative job in that it doesn't matter if you're lying or not on your application as long as everything looks good and sounds impressive?

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
So basically, they decided to do the equivalent of saying they are going to build a website, then a year later have nothing but pictures of layouts to show, so the company is forced to hand off the project to another group who then work on the site, say it is too much work, and rework it so it's missing half of the art assets given in the layout pictures. Then the original web team comes in and says everything is okay because we just funneled all that time into our own personal artsy website! There are not enough words to explain how wrong this entire situation is.

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
Alandoril said:
Seriously? That seems like a pretty messed up way to run a company/industry.

You'd think with the absurd amount of experience these companies demand of prospective employees they would actually be able to hire people who are actually good at what they do. Or is it like almost every other creative job in that it doesn't matter if you're lying or not on your application as long as everything looks good and sounds impressive?
The key issue is the discrepancy between business expertise and product knowledge. The people who know how to run a business (i.e. companies' higher echelons) either don't care for games or have started seeing their product through an exclusively marketing and finance oriented filter.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have people who care deeply about games, are very familiar with trends even before they hit, and often are gamers themselves. The problem: these people often lack business expertise or soft skills to apply it. The way many companies are structured, they are not taken seriously because they are not trusted with handling complex business processes in a way that investors can follow.

The area in-between has a very few rare individuals occupying it who are very sought-after. Mostly, though, companies hire by expertise rather than product-orientation - and that leads to gross errors in project planning and execution.

DoctorImpossible

Jan 18, 2013
Zhukov said:
Oh man, if that's true then, geez Sega, way to to live up to the publisher stereotype.
I know, right? Who the hell wants Aliens in their Aliens game?

IanDavis said:
[a href=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjCo2I3ooK0]tightening up the graphics on level three[/a]
I really, really hate that commercial.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
ohnoitsabear said:
My big question for this fiasco is how is this going to affect Gearbox? Obviously, there is the possibility that Sega might sue, but even if they don't, what publisher is going to want to sign a contract with Gearbox after all of this shit? I sure as hell know that I wouldn't.

I think that no matter how any of this goes, Gearbox is going to be negatively affected by this. And honestly, they should be.
2K Games? They must have made a shit ton of money from Borderlands. My guess is that Gearbox won't get blacklisted, but more like on a 'one to watch' list.

Jun 23, 2008
While I get that we need to recognize the magnitude of creating and publishing a game[footnote]Much like the way Ed Wood is still regaled as a movie maker. Despite that he made bad movies, he made movies, which is no small task.[/footnote], one does not simply forgive disasters such as Aliens:CM any more than one "forgives" engineering disasters or cascade system failures.

We still need to do an autopsy. We still need to understand what went wrong. We still need to see if reparations can be made, or this sort of thing is going to happen again and again. In fact, it has and does.

I want more than answers. I want the excellent Aliens game I was promised. I won't get that (not soon, anyway) so I want at least assurance that the next time this kind of meltdown will be less likely.

238U

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Human opponents to capture the Call of Duty market.
Capture the Call of Duty market.
Call of Duty Market.
CALL OF DUTY.

So its not just the fact that Gearbox was a totally unreliable company to handle the IP to begin with, turns out Sega was just as unreliable. If not stupid.

Its a shame because as much as I want BOTH these companies to suffer from the negative backlash, it would seem Gearbox will be the only company at the end of the day that will get the bad end of the stick.