The stupidity of the console war

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
i have all 3 consoles and there all very good but i think the worst of all are the pc elitists, they drone on and on about how better there pc is because they spent loads of time and money making it so

Hunter65416

Oct 22, 2010
Netrigan said:
I still remember mocking a friend because his only console was an Intellivision, which was often an object of ridicule among us Atari 2600 owners. Better graphics, no doubt... better games, don't make me laugh.
Oh Intellivision the little console that tried..

Hunter65416

Oct 22, 2010
Ironic Pirate said:
Straying Bullet said:
I really hope Sony & Microsoft for once team up on the consoles.

Combine the best of both parties and sell it together. Make more profit because everyone will have the same console. There are loads of benefits and some disadvantages but still, a perfect utopia.
And then they jack up the prices due to lack of competition. Monopolies aren't good.

And it's not like there's huge differences between them.
Agreed it would be awesome in theory but companies are bastards.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
I find very few these days, don't particularly notice much of the subject. I'm very active on YouTube, etc. btw :p

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
well i do not recall many flame wars when nintendo and sega were kings. but then the internet was not common and pretty damn limited to boot.

now days you get just plain trolls that have to hop on each consoles articles and game ratings to either flame the hell out of the game they never played on a system they never owned or to nitpick minor differences and blow them way out of poportion, or downvote the user ratings scores. then i guess you got a small percentage that feels they have to justify their 400 dollar investment into a sony or ms branded plastic box and their controllers and kinetics and moves.

ign is supremely bad for just plain console bashing on both sides. and the downvoting games not on your console is a daily habit.

only thing that reminded me the childish behavior of the console wars was the infamous the dark knight vs the godfather on imdb, dunno who started it on what side but there was all out war with each camp rating the other move down to keep theirs on top. and boy were the forums fun there for a few months.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
Huh, pointless argument. [sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]Everyone knows that Coke is the better beverage...[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

OT: Console wars are gonna happen so long as there are multiple consoles. If the big three team up and form a mega-corporation, not only would that benefit them as a company and us as consumers, it also has the possibility to hinder it. No competition = no need to adjust prices competitively (not counting PC, as the thread is referring to CONSOLES ONLY. No flamin', ya bishies).
LOL. I get crap for drinking Coke. The fact is, I drank Pepsi until I spent time really sick, and now every time I drink Pepsi, I get sick by association.

I'm not sure competition works as well as people want to think. With Kinect being almost a 2/3 profit, Sony having released an 800 dollar console, and Nintendo taking so long to cut prices even after the others had.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Yes they're stupid and pointless, but the fact is it'll never go away. I get pissed off a lot about this stuff so try to avoid it. I advice everyone to do the same. Remember when FF13 when multi? Ps3 owners cried for Christs sakes. These people will NEVER grow up. May as well just ignore it to the best of your abilities.

blind_dead_mcjones

Oct 16, 2010
as annoying as it may be its not as bad as it was back in the days of the SNES and the megadrvie, where not only was such juvenile thinking splayed across the pages of the few gaming magazines available at the time*(often in form of badly drawn fanarts of mario or some other nintendo character killing sonic) but it was in some cases encouraged by the writers of the magazine itself.

*i refer specifically to Nintendo Magazine System, or NMS as it was often abreviated to

TheLiham

Apr 15, 2010
im just sick of being ridiculed in school for having a 360 -.-

plus the only reason they can think for ps3 being better is free internet!

i mean come on its £3 a bloody month

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
Well, the console war between companies is what we know as competition. Competition usually leads to better and/or cheaper stuff , so it's only good that it's there. But, competition usually kinda gets people to pick sides. And people aren't always big on the tolerance and understanding stuff.

Basically, it's just a negative side effect of a theoretically good thing. I can live with it. Good amusement.

Whichi

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter65416 said:
Ive always been interested in what inside our brains makes us want to go on the internet and spew out out a bunch of vulgar statements about why our prefered console is the ultimate console and every other console is rubbish, this is really common on youtube for some reason although im happy to say since ive been at the escapist I havent really seen this at all which is a bloody novelty for me really.. And (dont take offense ps3 owners i am one myself) alot (not all) of the comments are undeniably from ps3 owners and im not biased I love both of my consoles equally, but yeah, cmon gamers we should be united aggaisnt the evils of Jack Thompson or Micheal Atkinson or fox news or whatever unwanted bastatd child you have in your country. Thoughts?
there was a brilliant statement made by one of the guys @ IGN...

"The XBox360, PS3, and Wii are products, *NOT SPOUSES*. You don't owe them your life-long faithfulness. As game consoles, their purpose is to let you play the games you want to play. Anyone who willingly denies themselves out of some delusional desire to remain loyal to some massive, multi-national corporation needs to rethink things"

Reguardless of how much I hate IGN, I have to agree with this statement. You're not supposed to frop trow and take one in the pooper for $ony, Micro$oft, or Nintendo (sorry... there's nowhere to place an "$" for nintendo). All these companies do is take your money, and most peope who dedicate their money to one company feel some obligation to raise their pride like a banner being taken to the Olympics or something to hide their regret or something. They all have a level of "suck", weather its functionality, visual quality, or expensive & fragile hardware. There's 2 options I leave for Sonyfags/Xfags/Wiifags (this doesn't apply to you if you aren't one of those kind of Asshats who feel the "moral obligation" to bash everything else) ... 1)get over it, and buy yourself a PC (cause the PC is the basis for all video gaming) or 2) STFU and stop trolling. I have an Xbox360, my brother owns a wii, but neither of us can afford a PS3 (not yet, at least). If given the money, i would buy all 3 and play the hell out of all 3 whenever I can. However, I am more attached to my 360 than any of my other consoles.

And in comparison, this is about the same kind of "war" like when people compare IW to treyarch. People get butthurt because 2 different companies each do things their own different way.... Shut the hell up and play what you want, with people who care to play the same games as you do! if you don't like black ops, go back to MW2 and delete friends who refuse to play with you! Its that simple, because chances are most people on your friends list aren't people you know on your block

But common sense is not a common virtue in this day and age...

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
i thought yahtzee explained this... most people can only afford one console, so they do whatever mental gymnastics are necessary to convince themselves that they bought the right one, often manifesting in the form of hate for other consoles.

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
People partaking in console war arguments on the Internet have yet to grasp the concept of opinions.

And those silly old chaps who hate all games like Jack Thompson are no different, since they seem to present their opinion as fact.

Willsor

Jun 20, 2010
Yeah it is really stupid. Most people stopped bothering when they realised the PC was vastly superior to all consoles in most ways.

ThatJoelGuy

Jul 23, 2008
Probably because people like conflict.
The reason i don't own a 360 is because i already own a pc and most games on 360 will appear on pc later anyway.
I own a ps3 mainly for the exclusives and blu ray movies