The Shattered Elden Ring Thread: Tarnished Edition - (Shadow of the Erdtree p. 85)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
It’s definitely Souls version 5.120482659 etc. and I’m glad it exists, but ffs I do hope that barring a Bloodborne sequel, FROM puts this entire genre into a deep cryo-sleep after this one.
I don't. I really like these games and I don't care how samey they might be. FromSoft does them RIGHT, and I'll take as many FromSoft games as they want over any number of The Surges, or Lords of the Fallen, or even Salt and Sanctuaries.

It's like being upset that Metallica keeps making Metal Albums. NO!!!! I don't want Metallica to come out with a Jazz/pop album.

Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I don't. I really like these games and I don't care how samey they might be. FromSoft does them RIGHT, and I'll take as many FromSoft games as they want over any number of The Surges, or Lords of the Fallen, or even Salt and Sanctuaries.

It's like being upset that Metallica keeps making Metal Albums. NO!!!! I don't want Metallica to come out with a Jazz/pop album.
Understandable, but watching it I can’t help but feel the gameplay formula is getting old and needs to be revitalized. Sekiro was outside the norm being more of an action game with the cool posture system so it doesn’t really count, but even it infused some of the FROM design choices like mostly trivial consumables scavenging/farming and cryptically obtuse NPC quests that literally need a guide or “word of mouth” to follow. I’d love to be able to figure everything out by just playing the damn game.

I really hope the new mobility and open world structure can breath new life into it.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

You do know From Soft used to do more than Dark Souls? Remember? I don't want them just turning into a Dark Souls factory, which is what they're practically are now. Even if they do it well, fatigue sets in at some point for everyone. Remember what Vaas said...

The problem with From Soft, is that they're almost no different than Ubisoft in that regard. Sure they have games of higher and way better quality anything Ubisoft can pull out, but it's the same problem. They're just making the same thing over and over with different variations. I'm sure this game will be great and everything, but I will most likely not be buying. I'll buy a new From Software game, when they decide to do something completely different.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You do know From Soft used to do more than Dark Souls? Remember? I don't want them just turning into a Dark Souls factory, which is what they're practically are now. Even if they do it well, fatigue sets in at some point for everyone. Remember what Vaas said...

The problem with From Soft, is that they're almost no different than Ubisoft in that regard. Sure they have games of higher and way better quality anything Ubisoft can pull out, but it's the same problem. They're just making the same thing over and over with different variations. I'm sure this game will be great and everything, but I will most likely not be buying. I'll buy a new From Software game, when they decide to do something completely different.
Understandable, but watching it I can’t help but feel the gameplay formula is getting old and needs to be revitalized. Sekiro was outside the norm being more of an action game with the cool posture system so it doesn’t really count, but even it infused some of the FROM design choices like mostly trivial consumables scavenging and cryptically obtuse NPC quests that literally need a guide or “word of mouth” to follow. I’d love to just be able to figure everything out by just playing the damn game.

I really hope the new mobility and open world structure can breath new life into it.
Here is my take on this though. Think about Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro.....What's the key thing about each of those games? While each game is definitely a "FromSoft" game, however you want to label that, each game tried something different and each game evolved the "FromSoft" game. Each of those games takes the Souls-like and moves it to a new place. Adding mechanics, adding features, changing gameplay styles for better or worse depending on the person.

Elden Ring continues this. Yes, it's a very Souls looking game but that's their style at this point. Elden Ring is clearly offering at LEAST an very evolved experience from what we are used too in the FromSoft game. Open world, a fucking map, jumping, etc. At the same time, it does have the things that people like me expect and want out of a FromSoft experience.

Did they make Armored Core? Yes, but I don't think there are that many people who care about that anymore and there are FAR more FromSoft fans today that are FromSoft fans because of the Souls games, and returning to a Core title is probably a bad business move.

And I don't think Ubisoft games are a fair comparison because Ubisoft makes literally the same game over and over again, whereas FromSoft changes enough in the moment to moment gameplay possibilities than Ubisoft does. Though that also has more to do with the types of games they make. Far Cry is shooting guns go bang bang, and how do you really evolve that? Same thing with Ghost Recon, point guns at bad guys and make dead, you can't really add mechanics to that the same was you can in a fantasy action game.

All turn-based RPG's aren't the same because they all have different systems that make them work, even if the core concept is the same. Which is how I would classify FromSoft's output. And I'd argue that Sekiro and Souls are more different from each other than say Uncharted and The Last of Us are.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Did they make Armored Core? Yes, but I don't think there are that many people who care about that anymore and there are FAR more FromSoft fans today that are FromSoft fans because of the Souls games, and returning to a Core title is probably a bad business move
There are people that still care, don't matter. It doesn't have to be overly expensive. Just make it a small budget and make it for that specific niche. Extra cash. Everyone wins. They can more than afford it.

And I don't think Ubisoft games are a fair comparison because Ubisoft makes literally the same game over and over again, whereas FromSoft changes enough in the moment to moment gameplay possibilities than Ubisoft does. Though that also has more to do with the types of games they make. Far Cry is shooting guns go bang bang, and how do you really evolve that? Same thing with Ghost Recon, point guns at bad guys and make dead, you can't really add mechanics to that the same was you can in a fantasy action game.
It is a fair comparison. The genre don't matter. Yes, From Software does mix it up every now and then, but they're still making the same game just with slightly more differences compared to what they usually do. The principle is still the same and you run into the same issues. And like I said before, from software have way higher quality games than anything Ubisoft has put out in the past decade, but they are still running into that same issue of just making a Dark Souls factory.

I would go nuts for another Tenchu game that is not Sekiro. The market is there, just don't blow it all on one big budget. Just make a small or mid-size budget. Hell, just make it a downloadable title and I'll still buy it. There are fans that still exist and new fans can be included. The best of both worlds.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You know I wasn't hyped about this game until I saw this fucking gameplay. Now I have hypeabetes and I'm sad about it.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Am I the only one who thinks this just looks boring and un-original? Like seriously From Software, if you want to make a Zelda game, just ask Nintendo. They'll say no, but this "Zelda with a gritty tone" is just undignified. That gameplay loop just strikes me as a dev team just giving up and making every other open world action adventure with collecting, horses and crafting.
We're getting this instead of a Bloodborne pc port and Bloodborne 2?! Knight on a horse fights a dragon in a big arena. How original. Sure glad we're getting that instead of a dark and broody Lovecraftian nightmare world with eldritch abominations and dark secrets.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They'll say no, but this "Zelda with a gritty tone" is just undignified.
No, that phrase of words belongs to Darksiders I & II. Also, looks like there is more to do than say, Breath of the Wild. Not a Souls fan, but this does look interesting, so I will give it that. I'd still prefer if From Software do something more different for once or go back to their older IPs.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks this just looks boring and un-original? Like seriously From Software, if you want to make a Zelda game, just ask Nintendo. They'll say no, but this "Zelda with a gritty tone" is just undignified. That gameplay loop just strikes me as a dev team just giving up and making every other open world action adventure with collecting, horses and crafting.
We're getting this instead of a Bloodborne pc port and Bloodborne 2?! Knight on a horse fights a dragon in a big arena. How original. Sure glad we're getting that instead of a dark and broody Lovecraftian nightmare world with eldritch abominations and dark secrets.
Well sure, on the surface there’s that, but this horse looks a lot more fun to use than what’s in Zelda, and they’ve only shown a fraction of the stuff in the world. Chances are it will probably also hold a lot more secrets involving lore, gear for character builds, enemy encounters, weird random shit that only FROM is known for, etc. Basically more engaging stuff to find than things like hearts and Korok seeds.

I’m hoping for a Bloodborne sequel too someday but considering FROM seems to learn from each game and carry over iterative improvements then it would likely be made better following Elden Ring.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Well sure, on the surface there’s that, but this horse looks a lot more fun to use than what’s in Zelda, and they’ve only shown a fraction of the stuff in the world. Chances are it will probably also hold a lot more secrets involving lore, gear for character builds, enemy encounters, weird random shit that only FROM is known for, etc. Basically more engaging stuff to find than things like hearts and Korok seeds.

I’m hoping for a Bloodborne sequel too someday but considering FROM seems to learn from each game and carry over iterative improvements then it would likely be made better following Elden Ring.
It's weird because certain parts of BOTW with a fair bit of ruins(Such as the great plateau) were giving me Dark Souls vibes and now here we have a Souls game giving me BOTW vibes.

And I'm totally here for it.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I do like how much more agile the player character seems to be in melee combat especially, but do hope this is still significantly impacted by build type.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

I do like how much more agile the player character seems to be in melee combat especially, but do hope this is still significantly impacted by build type.
The spells you get look rad too. I wonder how much rpg choice will be in the game because with most Souls games if you level enough you can be everything and there isnt a lot of choices there.

Also that fucking horse boss looked like an asshole so that will be fun.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
The spells you get look rad too. I wonder how much rpg choice will be in the game because with most Souls games if you level enough you can be everything and there isnt a lot of choices there.

Also that fucking horse boss looked like an asshole so that will be fun.

What perhaps sounded most interesting to me was that you’ll possibly be able to physically find upgrades to gear and such via exploration vs collecting enough souls or gems etc. to level up damage values. I’m guessing character leveling will be handled similarly to past games, but I’ve always appreciated when games offer more physically based incentives for doing things instead of just pouring x currency into y stat.

Also, I’m pretty stoked to see what the handy (wo?)man boss has in store
1636122994296.jpeg

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What perhaps sounded most interesting to me was that you’ll possibly be able to physically find upgrades to gear and such via exploration vs collecting enough souls or gems etc. to level up damage values. I’m guessing character leveling will be handled similarly to past games, but I’ve always appreciated when games offer more physically based incentives for doing things instead of just pouring x currency into y stat.

Also, I’m pretty stoked to see what the handy (wo?)man boss has in store
Im pretty sure the leveling system will be the same, and the talking waifu they showed will be our Fire Keeper/Doll. It is worth noting that they showcased all that gameplay footage with absolutely NO UI on. No button prompts to open chests, no HP bars, no stamina, no currency, no enemy health. So we don't know how any of the new combat systems will work.

Big hands guy will do lots of stomps, leaps, and big wide axe swings. Watching what little they showed, he looks like he will fight a lot like Ludwig from BB DLC.