The Technology Help Corner.

residentout1

May 21, 2013
my computer gives me the bsod when I load webpages but it does no happen all the time also when it crash it can mess up me favorites by not give me the link the link in properties will be the name it was in favorites?

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
Ninja-Jordan said:
Hey guys. I've recently been experimenting with increasing the audio pitch for a cartoony voice I'm trying to give to a character for a video I'm making. But every time I increase the pitch it gives the voice a sort of robotic crackling in the audio. I've tried applying DeClickers to the audio and adjusting the cents but it always sounds poppy and doesn't sound natural (as far as cartoon voices go).
Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
What program do you use for audio editing, and what's the quality of the mic? It's possible the crackling is impurities in the audio caused by poor recording equipment (or it's picking up your breathing when you're talking, in that case a simple filter to hold between your mouth and mic should do it).

residentout1 said:
my computer gives me the bsod when I load webpages but it does no happen all the time also when it crash it can mess up me favorites by not give me the link the link in properties will be the name it was in favorites?
I really badly want to help you, but your post is kinda incoherent. Could you try again? BSOD is usually caused by hardware errors these days, is your computer old?

residentout1

May 21, 2013
Twinrehz said:
Ninja-Jordan said:
Hey guys. I've recently been experimenting with increasing the audio pitch for a cartoony voice I'm trying to give to a character for a video I'm making. But every time I increase the pitch it gives the voice a sort of robotic crackling in the audio. I've tried applying DeClickers to the audio and adjusting the cents but it always sounds poppy and doesn't sound natural (as far as cartoon voices go).
Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
What program do you use for audio editing, and what's the quality of the mic? It's possible the crackling is impurities in the audio caused by poor recording equipment (or it's picking up your breathing when you're talking, in that case a simple filter to hold between your mouth and mic should do it).

residentout1 said:
I really badly want to help you, but your post is kinda incoherent. Could you try again? BSOD is usually caused by hardware errors these days, is your computer old?
my computer is new just got an upgrade for fallout 4 but like I say I get a bsod when I load webpages (like loading a tumbler page or going the escapist) or downloading from steam.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
residentout1 said:
my computer is new just got an upgrade for fallout 4 but like I say I get a bsod when I load webpages (like loading a tumbler page or going the escapist) or downloading from steam.
What did you upgrade?

residentout1

May 21, 2013
Twinrehz said:
residentout1 said:
What did you upgrade?
just the video card every thing else is 3-4 years old.

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
residentout1 said:
Twinrehz said:
residentout1 said:
What did you upgrade?
just the video card every thing else is 3-4 years old.
Is it the same brand of graphics card (nVidia or ATI), and if it isn't, did you remove the old drivers? In a more extreme case, if you can be bothered to, you could try formatting your pc, but that really is last resort.

Like I said earlier, BSOD nowadays most usually comes from hardware error; here's a quick list of things you can try:
a) it is possible your new graphics card has bad backwards compatibility with PCI-E 2.0 (all new graphics cards come with PCI-E 3.0, and your motherboard sounds old enough to be equipped with PCI-E 2.0. Normally this shouldn't be a problem, but Windows is weird),
b) I mentioned problems with drivers. Even if it is the same brand of graphics card, try uninstalling the driver completely, and reinstalling it.
c) (skip this if you're not very good with understanding error messages in general) check Event Log to see if the Hardware-option says anything about crashes. You'll find Event Log if you open your start menu and type in "Event" in the search box (I think this should work independent of your system language). If you find anything in the Event Log, copy that line, put it into google, and see what results you get; chances are someone has already experienced a similar problem.
d) Download CCleaner (google it), and run it to remove all kinds of temporary and dead files. This can be combined with removing your old graphics card drivers, BEFORE you install them again. This should get rid of old files causing any trouble.
e) if all else fails; format your computer. This is very extreme, and should normally not be necessary. If reinstalling doesn't help either, it could be
f) something wrong with the RAM.
g) it could be your motherboard is failing, this means you'll have to get a new one. This is the very last resort, and unless something is terribly wrong with your current motherboard, it isn't necessary.

These are a lot of steps to find out whats wrong. Welcome to the world of hardware troubleshooting! Btw, what Windows version are you using, and have you updated it lately? Also, what kind of processor do you use, and how fast is it? It is possible that the problem is that you've taken a giant new motor and put it on an old 1960's beetle car.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, realising I should have posted this here, wasn't paying attention.

So, bought a game on steam, and as I usually do, bundled the soundtrack with it.... only in this case its supplied as OGG files.

Goggled the extension, and got a number of hits, but I tend to be wary of dling stuff, and the first one I went for (codecs for media player) did nothing, and the next talked about media players that are, as far as I'm aware, no longer existing, so I'm not too hopeful its up to date, so can anyone recomend a player or file converter for OGG files? (I'm on windows 10 if it helps)

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
Windknight said:
Ok, realising I should have posted this here, wasn't paying attention.

So, bought a game on steam, and as I usually do, bundled the soundtrack with it.... only in this case its supplied as OGG files.

Goggled the extension, and got a number of hits, but I tend to be wary of dling stuff, and the first one I went for (codecs for media player) did nothing, and the next talked about media players that are, as far as I'm aware, no longer existing, so I'm not too hopeful its up to date, so can anyone recomend a player or file converter for OGG files? (I'm on windows 10 if it helps)
.ogg is a container format, so it can contain just about any audio format you like. Go to http://www.freac.org - it's legit - download it, and select what format you want to convert it to (by default I think it converts to MP3). It supports a wide range of formats, so you can use it for other files as well.

EDIT: VLC should be able to play your files as well. Still haven't found anything (of legit material) that VLC can't play.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
So here's the long story, just trying to be specific.

And real quick, this has happened across two sets. They were both basically the same setup, two speakers, one on each side of the monitor. First pair were Altec Lansing A215
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Multimedia-Channel-Computer-Speakers/dp/B000NREXBC
and my current pair are Altec Lansing BXR1220
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025VKUPW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Huh, maybe it's a brand problem.

Anyway.

My computer speakers, when I first turn on my computer speakers for the day or leave my PC alone for long enough, distort, specifically the left one makes a something of a crackling noise and lowers the overall volume across both speakers.
Occasionally, maybe, they start working after you play some noise through them, a video, music, whatever, there's a somewhat loud "thump" or "boom" or "click", some noise in the speakers then they start working properly. This occurred with my old pair now it's in the new ones

This occurred so much with my old pair so I replaced them, when the problem persisted, I started looking for some solutions but nearly all of what I found regarded mechanical errors and I think this is digital, I could be wrong though, of course.
Something that used to work was opening my Device Manager, uninstalling the audio drivers, and restarting the computer to reinstall the drivers, it would work after that.
For specificity, I was uninstalling "AMD High Definition Audio Device" and "Realtek High Definition Audio" although I used to only uninstall the second one and started uninstalling both as the problem got more persistent.

Now that doesn't really work anymore.
There's a "click" in the speakers when the computer boots up but the problem isn't solved, so now I just hope that they kick themselves into shape somewhere along the way like the used to.

If the system volume itself is down, about halfway or lower, the crackling doesn't occur, but at full 100, that's when it occurs, not sure exactly where the line is. The issue has not occurred in my monitor speakers or my USB wireless headset, not sure if that was important information but I thought I'd include it anyway, it only occurs in my auxiliary speakers.

Alright, I've explained the problem as specifically as I can but if there are any questions, I'll be happy to answer. The speakers are plugged into a standard 3.5mm jack, my motherboard (MSI 970 GAMING with AMD 970/SB950 ATX Motherboard - Socket AM3+
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/1943238304579492175?lsf=seller:6136318,store:10725747521650349396&prds=oid:273002123889470406&q=msi+gaming+motherboard&hl=en&ei=nHNGWI_3N5LejwPQ97zIDQ&lsft=gclid:Cj0KEQiA4JnCBRDQ5be3nKCPhpwBEiQAjwN1bgyThzI1ZNDtpYcI6RDdt5R0DR3KSq-zM_UepW9huk4aAkfx8P8HAQ)
has an integrated sound card.

I'll give my other specs if I need to but I don't know if I really do right now, forgive me if that's stupid, not exactly a PC savant here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Realtek's drivers is what you should be using, not AMD's. Unless you're connecting HDMI with sound and shit you won't be using your GPU's sound drivers.

The fact that it took time to develop tells me it's a hardware issue, even though software affected its behavior.

Funnily enough, I've had similar speakers to your first set, just with a more modern design, and I tried plugging them in after a few years and it crackled like crazy.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Living_Brain said:
Realtek's drivers is what you should be using, not AMD's. Unless you're connecting HDMI with sound and shit you won't be using your GPU's sound drivers.

The fact that it took time to develop tells me it's a hardware issue, even though software affected its behavior.

Funnily enough, I've had similar speakers to your first set, just with a more modern design, and I tried plugging them in after a few years and it crackled like crazy.
So, stupid question, what do I do now then?

You mentioned it's a hardware thing, does that mean I'm stuck with intermittent sound problems?

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Extra-Ordinary said:
So, stupid question, what do I do now then?

You mentioned it's a hardware thing, does that mean I'm stuck with intermittent sound problems?
Sorry for late reply.

Yes? The best case scenario is that something's jacked (heh) with the aux cable, have you tried moving it back and forth?

I suggest you get a solid pair of speakers or just use headphones. I gave up on a speaker system so if I need speaker action from my PC I just use an old iPod and iPhone dock boom-box thing (with the old wide connector) that was probably under $30. Janky setup but it works.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
My computer won't boot after a power outage.

I've had this problem before and I've managed to fix it before but now it's not taking.
After a power surge or outage, whether my PC is on or off, when I turn it back on it'll go through the motions, get through the BIOS screen (press DEL for BIOS, F11 for BOOT menu) and just get stuck at the screen after, a black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper-left and just not move on.
The way I've solved this before was something like the software version of hitting it until it works. I'd go into the BIOS, mess around with some options, typically turning on and off the OC Genie and moving things around in Boot priority and turning on and off the Fast Boots and setting everything to default a few times, various combinations of messin' around with those settings and enough restarts usually got her working but I've been at it for a while now and it's just not working.

All of the computer components are getting power, at least it seems, but maybe somethings not getting any or not booting properly, I never understood this problem so it's hard for me to speculate.

Here are my specs:

Graphics: GIGABYTE Radeon R9 270
CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition
HSF: Stock
Motherboard: MSI Gaming 970
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 4GB Single DDR3
HDD: 1TB
SSD: None
Power Supply: Antec HCG M-Series HCG-520M
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Compact

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Living_Brain said:
Extra-Ordinary said:
Do you have a USB drive with a windows image on it? Could be your HDD failing so that should theoretically work in that case.
Er, no, I used to but I reformatted my external so I could clone it again and didn't get around to that before this crash.

I've been reading this might either be a HDD or OS failure, I never learned which one because it always jostled itself into place eventually.

I've also tried using my Windows 7 recovery disk but no good. I've dealt with an OS crash before (and ended up wasting money on a new HDD because I thought it was a hard drive crash) and that worked with a previous PC but not now.

I've tried unplugging and replugging the HDD and nothin'.

I think I'm gonna get her Geek Squad-ed just to be sure. I'm usually not afraid to solve these problems on my own but I've tried a ton of things, this is officially out of my range.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Extra-Ordinary said:
I think I'm gonna get her Geek Squad-ed just to be sure.
I hope I'm not too late but don't go specifically to Geek Squad. Get professional help, sure, just not GS.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Living_Brain said:
I hope I'm not too late but don't go specifically to Geek Squad. Get professional help, sure, just not GS.
Nope, haven't gone anywhere yet, looked up some reviews, changed my mind.
It's just that they fixed a couple of my family's laptops a long time ago and they seemed alright but that was my dad's dollar, not mine, and well before I learned about computers.
Anyway.
Alright, so I want to give it a couple more tries before I wave the flag so here's what I'm doing:
I've ordered a Windows 10 Recovery Disk, not sure if that's the same as the USB with Windows image you mentioned but I'm hoping it'll do the trick.
Plan B, if that fails, bring my hard drive to a data recovery service.
That sound good?
It's the only plan I got right now so I hope so.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Extra-Ordinary said:
Alright, so I want to give it a couple more tries before I wave the flag so here's what I'm doing:
I've ordered a Windows 10 Recovery Disk, not sure if that's the same as the USB with Windows image you mentioned but I'm hoping it'll do the trick.
Plan B, if that fails, bring my hard drive to a data recovery service.
That sound good?
It's the only plan I got right now so I hope so.
Yep as long as you have a cd drive. I don't have one in mine so that didn't occur to me, haha.
If windows boots off the disk, that means pretty much everything works in your PC except your HDD.

One more random thing I thought of, probably not it, but try connecting your monitor to the motherboard instead, if your model has onboard graphics.

Wish you luck

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Living_Brain said:
Yep as long as you have a cd drive. I don't have one in mine so that didn't occur to me, haha.
If windows boots off the disk, that means pretty much everything works in your PC except your HDD.

One more random thing I thought of, probably not it, but try connecting your monitor to the motherboard instead, if your model has onboard graphics.

Wish you luck
Thanks, chum, although I've been messin' around for a couple of hours now, nothing's stuck except a system restore off the disk, *then* it booted (of course).
Every attempt to fix my HDD has been blocked by some problem or other so it's definitely looking like a corrupted boot file.

My (hopefully) final question is this: what do I do now?
The way I see it, I either bring my HDD in or get a new one, probably gonna end up doing that anyway but still.
Because I managed to clone and image my HDD to an external drive and I'm scared to just throw that onto a new drive because I'm thinking I'll just throw the same corrupted file onto a new HDD, so what should be my next step please?

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Extra-Ordinary said:
My (hopefully) final question is this: what do I do now?
The way I see it, I either bring my HDD in or get a new one, probably gonna end up doing that anyway but still.
Because I managed to clone and image my HDD to an external drive and I'm scared to just throw that onto a new drive because I'm thinking I'll just throw the same corrupted file onto a new HDD, so what should be my next step please?
In your place I'd just start over with a new HDD. You said you cloned the drive, can you look at the contents? Just take all your personal files. But with windows, start fresh.