The Technology Help Corner.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
GZGoten said:
Hello, this is kind of a (very) late reply but I don't think you need to buy a new PC, if you haven't already. Your CPU is reasonably powerful, only your graphics card is quite weak to be honest. Just grab a gtx 650 and all games will run perfectly ok.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
AWAR said:
GZGoten said:
Hello, this is kind of a (very) late reply but I don't think you need to buy a new PC, if you haven't already. Your CPU is reasonably powerful, only your graphics card is quite weak to be honest. Just grab a gtx 650 and all games will run perfectly ok.
better late than never I was still waiting for a reply just in case so I'm glad it finally came in :)
so all I need is the GTX 650?
well that'll be a lot cheaper than buying a new PC then, THANKS :D

adam352

Jan 11, 2010
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me. I'm wondering if a PC with these specs:

Processor: AMD A4 3300 2.5GHz
Ram: 4GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6410D

Can run Guild Wars 2, Min Specs:

Intel® Core? 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon?64 X2 or better
2 GB RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800, ATI Radeon? X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better
(256MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)

I don't need to run it on high, just minimum settings so I can play together with my partner.

Thanks in advance!

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
adam352 said:
You may be able to run it but your gaming experience is going to suffer greatly. Consider at least an AMD A6 5400k which should be able to run it at low settings with decent fps.

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Bentusi16 said:
Hi.

It might be a driver issue, install the latest drivers using "clean install" from the driver's installation menu.

It could probably be overheating, check your temps using CPUID Hardware Monitor or Speedfan. Safe operating temperatures on these cards are 90c if I remember correctly, but it really shouldn't reach anything above 75-80c. If the temps are indeed high use an air spray to remove dust from the fan (while the PC is turned off obviously).
If the problem still persists, then I think it may be the end of your graphics card lifetime.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
Yeah, I have a pretty major problem:
My computer is, unfortunately, unable to charge... Well, it's slightly able to, if I angle the cord correctly, but otherwise, even when plugged in (I have a windows 77) and it states it's charging, the amount of charge in the battery slowly drops, one percent every one to four minutes. Before this happened, I was playing LA Noir, which my machine probably couldn't handle, so I'm guessing it's probably a hardware problem, maybe a short. Use of computer without battery results in the computer simply switching off instantaneously, without even booting up.

Or maybe the thing you insert the charger into is broken.

System specs:
Manufacturer: Toshiba
Model: Satellite C655
Rating: 5.1
Processor Intel (R) Pentium (R) CPU B950 @ 2.10 GHZ 2.10 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
System type: 64 bit operating system

Personal computer knowledge: Little to none.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
wackymon said:
Yeah, I have a pretty major problem:
My computer is, unfortunately, unable to charge... Well, it's slightly able to, if I angle the cord correctly, but otherwise, even when plugged in (I have a windows 77) and it states it's charging, the amount of charge in the battery slowly drops, one percent every one to four minutes. Before this happened, I was playing LA Noir, which my machine probably couldn't handle, so I'm guessing it's probably a hardware problem, maybe a short. Use of computer without battery results in the computer simply switching off instantaneously, without even booting up.

Or maybe the thing you insert the charger into is broken.

System specs:
Manufacturer: Toshiba
Model: Satellite C655
Rating: 5.1
Processor Intel (R) Pentium (R) CPU B950 @ 2.10 GHZ 2.10 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 3.00 GB
System type: 64 bit operating system

Personal computer knowledge: Little to none.
Same thing happened to my old laptop, and I've seen another one that does that when I was in hardware class. It sounds to me like something is wrong with the charging port on your laptop. First thing I'd do would be to try a different charger that you know works and try it on your laptop. If that charger does the same thing then your charging port has either become disconnected from the motherboard or shorted out. While it is fixable it does require you to soldering.

I would recommend trying to find someone near you like geek squad and have them take a look at it. If it is the charging port that can probably be fixed for a cheaper price than just buying a new laptop.

Jiffex

Dec 11, 2011
I recently bought a laptop and the battery lasts about an 1hr 40-50 minutes. The laptop is a "refurbished" model so it could simply be the battery is a little older but just in case, I was wondering if there was a particular brand/type of battery I could get to give me an extra 2 or 3 hours?

The laptop in question is http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/refurbished-laptops/packard-bell-easynote-tm80-rb-020uk-refurbished-15-6-laptop-blue-07576488-pdt.html

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
Jiffex said:
Hi,
I'm not an expert but I think 1 hour 50 minutes is decent with medium use. Having said that you can contact Packard Bell support, or the shop you bought this particular model for more information. Alternatively you can just search replacement batteries online, although as you can see they are pricey and, I presume, less reliable than the originals.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I wasn't sure where to post about this, but here seems reasonable enough.

Just today I have not been able to see pages on The Escapist beyond the front page, clicking on threads or news articles just comes up with an empty page with some blue on it. This only happens on Firefox though which is kind of weird as Chrome seems to work fine (hence how I can post here). Chrome is my backup browser so I haven't really messed around with settings all that much, maybe that is why it is fine and FF has crapped out? I haven't noticed problems with other sites yet.

Maybe I'm cursed!

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
CriticalMiss said:
I wasn't sure where to post about this, but here seems reasonable enough.

Just today I have not been able to see pages on The Escapist beyond the front page, clicking on threads or news articles just comes up with an empty page with some blue on it. This only happens on Firefox though which is kind of weird as Chrome seems to work fine (hence how I can post here). Chrome is my backup browser so I haven't really messed around with settings all that much, maybe that is why it is fine and FF has crapped out? I haven't noticed problems with other sites yet.

Maybe I'm cursed!
You can always yell at kross here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Tech-Team] and they can help you. There seem to be a lot of glitches with the site recently, so it is most likely a technical issue.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
So yeh, Ihave a very /prob lamatic /probalem... my keyboard is currently being com/pletely off he \watlls, ?Phas a s lah before it,sll
l is lefts/pace, H moves to he tleft, k is do\wn, here's a stlah before |W and ?Psl, and tons of oher hings.tt

sorry if it's illegible, my com/puter is sim/ply not \working.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
wackymon said:
So yeh, Ihave a very /prob lamatic /probalem... my keyboard is currently being com/pletely off he \watlls, ?Phas a s lah before it,sll
l is lefts/pace, H moves to he tleft, k is do\wn, here's a stlah before |W and ?Psl, and tons of oher hings.tt

Have you tried using a different keyboard? You know to check if it's your PC or yout board that's busted?

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
Eleuthera said:
wackymon said:

Have you tried using a different keyboard? You know to check if it's your PC or yout board that's busted?
I Have a laptop, so this is pretty much my only keyboard. I don't have any other.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
wackymon said:
I Have a laptop, so this is pretty much my only keyboard. I don't have any other.
Bit of a late reply, I assume you checked the keyboard setting (it's not set to Chinese or something?).

Since it's a laptop your options are a bit limited. You could still try to attach a separate keyboard, possibly clean it out or (and I hope this isn't the case) you'll need to get it replaced.

Wackymon

Jul 22, 2011
Eleuthera said:
wackymon said:
Bit of a late reply, I assume you checked the keyboard setting (it's not set to Chinese or something?).

Since it's a laptop your options are a bit limited. You could still try to attach a separate keyboard, possibly clean it out or (and I hope this isn't the case) you'll need to get it replaced.
Don't Have it on chineze... And don't own a separate keyboard...

AWAR

Nov 15, 2009
wackymon said:
It's pretty clear that your keyboard may be faulty. There's not anything else you can really do except plugging in an external one, and since you don't own a keyboard you can try borrowing or buying one. I'm not sure what kind of technical advice you want from this thread.

Sinisterair

Oct 15, 2008
Hello everyone Ive been having an issue with something i just cant find the answer too.
So a little while ago my rig would start to stutter a bit here and there no big deal, But out of nowhere every single time i lose the slightest bit of connection it goes into a frenzy and i have to shut down. Sound becomes cut and unintelligible and my ability to do anything on the computer is halted by it. I believe it is caused by my wireless card but i have no idea of telling. If anyone could assist me on the issue it would be appreciated

Time of this report: 6/10/2013, 20:16:10
Machine name: ASROCK
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.130318-1533)
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/04/12 23:08:08 Ver: 04.06.05
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8080MB RAM
Page File: 2726MB used, 13430MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 550 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

802.11n Wireless LAN card