The Theory That Will Tie All Video Game Stories Together

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
How about this: a big lake of Red was found in the mines deep below Aperture Science, but Black Mesa broke in, sabotaged it (transforming it into acid) and stole the formula and technology Aperture was researching to create their H.E.V. Suit, a special protection that can repair itself by a blue derivative of Red and store Red from medkits and health stations for healing the user itself whenever he gets hurt (from light lacerations to severe fractures)

PS Captcha: "big kahuna burger"

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Cain/Kane/however you spell it pops up in quite a few game series. He's the first templar and he's the founder and messiah of the Brotherhood of Nod.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
This was the most fun article to read that you've written in a while, I was excited to see what you'd combine all the way through. This is your theory, so I'm not gonna add anything to it, just wanted to say it was interesting(and incredible nerdy) to hear about.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
Darth_Payn said:
Cain/Kane/however you spell it pops up in quite a few game series. He's the first templar and he's the founder and messiah of the Brotherhood of Nod.
Dracula pops up in quite a few games (mostly, but not only, Castlevania), but he was still disqualified.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
You had me at Cate Archer. I would do embarrassing things just to get another NOLF game.

Bunni

Mar 12, 2010
AkaDad said:
You had me at Cate Archer. I would do embarrassing things just to get another NOLF game.
I, too, only paid initial attention to the NOLF2 title screen image before reading the actual article.

IrenIvy

Mar 15, 2011
Very, very interesting setting.
Thank you, Mr. Croshaw.

(also, additional thank you for combining Mechanists with Dunwall)

And could Kain be the same entity as Cain, the First Vampire referenced in Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? Why the fuck not?
Kain was a progenitor of new vampire clans in this own universe, so double yes. I much prefer this Kain to official VtM Cain. Although knowning Kain he probably didn't die in fight with Belmoth but time-travelled somewhere.
Yahtzee, you know what else is Red? Jam. Jam is Red *mind blown*
This...actually fits really well. So in smaller dozes it is a healing agent, in bigger dozes it is mutagenic, and in largest seen so far it develops pseudo-life with additional bonus that it no longer exploding. It is possible that if next stage of Red is accumulated (say, a continent-size) it will achieve true sentience. Could it be that by making itself useful to humans (now-dominant species of planet) as a defense mechanism, Red tries to expand its existence? As Red is remnant of demons and such, it is quite possible that RED wasn't just remnant of demons, but some kind of revenge plan.

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
So clearly my favourite ship of Cate Archer/Kain would be possible in this brave new world you have created Yatzee?

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Just write some fan-fiction. Come ooon, it'll be super fun.

XDSkyFreak

Mar 2, 2013
Ooooook ... thanks for ruining my sleep for a few weeks yahtzee ... now my brain is in overdrive mode with your concept and adding details and connections and trying to create a unified timeline for all the games I'm aware of ...

On a positive note: Imagine a game made with this concept ... actually Duke Nukem Forever should have been that game considering the time it spent in development (and now I'm wondering if in a paralel universe such a game actually exists)

KilloZapit

Jan 28, 2011
I don't see why some future game thing could not made used Red explicitly and reference other games without actually naming particular names or anything. There are a lot of stuff you could do with the idea without explicitly using copyrighted stuff I think.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
What about inst-heal properties before they had access to magical creature fossils? They had to heal somehow in the gaming fashion. Is healing from magic use possible back then? It could be that after RED is discovered and used regularly, it stunts magical powers, explaing the prevailance of witches and wizards in those trending times. But even if so, RED being a fossil, would be in limited supply. Perhaps the intended synthesization of it, could explain away many games already. What about the boom of magical beings in Legendary? I never saw it to the end, but how could that surge effect the supply of RED, considering fossilisation is not a quick process. Maybe capture and testing on these creatures sparks a new canon?

neokiva

Jun 14, 2013
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
The Theory That Will Tie All Video Game Stories Together

It's called the Grand Unifying Theory of Video Games, and it ties all games together with a common thread. Yahtzee takes that thread and tries to tie it in a nice little bow.

Read Full Article
Up in the northern region of tamriel, reports of a new substance "Blue" similar to "Red" was discovered. This largely inert liquid seemed to do nothing, but flow from the earth, from fonts. That is until it was imbibed by a particularly unlucky sort who always seemed to stumble into trouble always getting into new adventures, he had been mining orricalcum and mythril, his pickaxe struck the wall and out came "Blue" and into his face, during the confusion he accidently swallowed some of it. Later he discovered he had now gained magic from "Blue", he eventually learnt that he had to keep consuming it if he wished to continue to use magic and thus "Blue" was discovered, humans everywhere could now use magic from this several forms of magic formed as well as many different schools. It would eventually come to pass that the summoners school would rule the world. Many sanctions were put in place to limit abuse of magic.

some time had passed and magical technology fuelled the advancement of the world, soon Blue would be found in crystalline form, these came to be known as crystals, materia, soul stones. people soon learned how to harness this new form of "Blue"

Centuries passed without major incident and finally "Blue" was beginning to run in short supply many had started to panic that is until it was discovered that large scale consumption of "Blue" coupled with the mutation properties of "Red" had effectively altered the human race many began to be able to use magic without imbibing "Blue" and some regions even mutated in physical appearance, one race had turned into cat people, another had grown longer ears and seemed to have longer life spans, others degenerated into hideous hulking giants with green skin. another race still grew wings demonic or angelic in appearance others took on radical changes into that of wolves, dragons, mlp fim ponies, even anime characters. These strange events came to a head, the many companies of the world, shinra, mashima zaibatsu, abstergo, umbrella and many others joined together to research this drastic change. after months of research all over the world it is discovered that right around the time the mutations began to happen an impact occurred. the radiation coming from this impact site was non fatal but had triggered the mutations, the companies started surveying the world.

the world had been engulfed entirely by it and the areas of highest radiation the mutation rate was higher. monsters started appearing covering the world so many different kinds, some where intelligent, but most were feral and bestial.
soon many would go out into the world to adventure and hunt these monsters. perhaps these creatures could be culled. If only this was the case, however it was not enough and so the companies decided to research, develop and perhaps use these monsters seeing as no matter how many were killed they kept coming. eventually every city walled itself off.

although small at first, bands of hunters and adventurers of all types formed guilds for the express purpose of adventure and monster hunting eventually petitions would come in to the guilds for missions and so the age of the Guilds was upon us.
things eventually stabilised and people were getting their lives back.