The Thread where I air my grievances with the Assassins' Creed series SPOILERS EVERYWHERE

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
As always, ubisoft is doign very good job with the environmental design. The world looks really good.

But would the actual gameplay and characters be likable? I don't think so

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As always, ubisoft is doign very good job with the environmental design. The world looks really good.

I've checked the around the Space Battle's AC forum, and most people on it are impressed so far. Why Ubisoft is waiting until tomorrow to show more gameplay, instead of just doing it now is beyond me.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
I've checked the around the Space Battle's AC forum, and most people on it are impressed so far. Why Ubisoft is waiting until tomorrow to show more gameplay, instead of just doing it now is beyond me.
Because they gotta talk their asses off about how "revolutionary this game will be!"

Reactions: BrawlMan
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
That’s the thing about Ubisoft games. They’re all head, no tail.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Let's be honest- it doesn't matter a single lick about the details about the gameplay or combat. Everybody's already made up their minds. Ubisoft blah blah, Ghost of Tsushima blah blah, blah blah blah. We all know what everybody thinks.

All that matters is, when the game comes out, the damn thing WORKS. We can't have another Unity. That's literally all I care about with this game at this point.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I thought Naoe's gameplay bit looked fun. Wow, destroying lights in a stealth game? Unheard of! Parkour looks like they actually tried, but they really didn't show enough for me to be sure. The bamboo environmental destruction was a fun detail as well.

Yasuke's gameplay... well so far it looks exactly as I feared. It at least didn't look butt fucking ugly like the last three games did, but again like with Naoe, they didn't really show off the combat, just pre-animated takedowns. But yeah, I really don't see the point of having such a combat focused character in an AC game. If they wanted a combat focused character fine, but I would have expected something more like Sekiro where swordplay is king. Using "honor" against your enemies by goading them into duels.

Yasuke is just a fucking battering ram, I really can't see how Ubisoft is going to balance people choosing between Yasuke and Naoe. Why play as the ninja when you can just smash through a door and annihilate everyone? I guess they could force you into playing missions as either one, which honestly sounds a lot more preferable to me.

I guess we'll know more soon, because halfway through writing this I realized that the gameplay trailer is actually a trailer for the actual 13 minute gameplay trailer. Which is pretty annoying.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
> Yasuke is just a fucking battering ram, I really can't see how Ubisoft is going to balance people choosing between Yasuke and Naoe.
Why do they need to "balance" it? Who cares how many people choose when to play as whom?

Assassin's Creed has been combat focused since Syndicate which came out literally 10 years ago.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
> Yasuke is just a fucking battering ram, I really can't see how Ubisoft is going to balance people choosing between Yasuke and Naoe.
Why do they need to "balance" it? Who cares how many people choose when to play as whom?

Assassin's Creed has been combat focused since Syndicate which came out literally 10 years ago.
If you were a developer working your ass off for half a decade, you'd probably want people playing more than 50% of your gigantic ass game.

As a player, I can't possibly see the story and characters meaning anything if you're not actually encouraged to play as both options. Syndicate's approach to this was awful, I consider it the main reason why the story might as well have not existed. I mean, probably a moot point, since Ubisoft is allergic to making decent stories anyway.

And yes, AssCreed is an action game now and I will continue to give them shit for that until I die.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
At least Mirage brought back and put more emphasis on the stealth aspects.
Well... that was the idea. Actually they just made the combat extremely shitty, so that you're forced to "put more emphasis on the stealth aspects." It's like a lazier/dumber of version of what happened with Unity, where they added armies of wacky enemies and snipers with AI-guided laser scopes to make combat impossible so that you're "forced" to do stealth.

And these are the two worst games in the franchise IMO. Not because they were more stealth-focused, but because the implementation was so piss-poor.

Assasin's Creed was never a stealth franchise. It's not Thief, it's an open world action game, always was. Stealth is just one aspect, same as it is in other open-world action games like DIshonored, Shadow of War, Ghost of Tsushima, etc. All of which have some quests that do require stealth or combat but most that "allow you to play your way," and now that every game does that everybody complains about that too lol.

I was kinda feeling this yesterday with Call of Duty and the XBox showcase, with so many people complaining about CoD. These franchises are delivering the same old shit for those that dig it, and I some of the complaints like "why don't they go back to specific things I liked 15 years ago" or "why are they the games they are and not the games they're not" are like... so weird to me, I don't get it lol

And yes, I'm prepping myself for the Ubisoft show today where I'll watch the live stream via SecondWind and it'll be THAT the whole time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Assasin's Creed was never a stealth franchise.
Tell that to the hardcore fans and my older brother. He likes Mirage just fine. He doesn't mind heavy combat in an AC game either, but he does tend to focus more on stealth.
was kinda feeling this yesterday with Call of Duty and the XBox showcase, with so many people complaining about CoD. These franchises are delivering the same old shit for those that dig it, and I some of the complaints like "why don't they go back to specific things I liked 15 years ago" or "why are they the games they are and not the games they're not" are like... so weird to me, I don't get it lol
CoD pretty much has no identity, but that's only people online complaining about it the most. To the average player and consumer, A majority of them could not give a a fuck, or foolishly think they're getting the BBDs (They are not!). Well, I don't give a rat a** about this franchise for years. I still hate Activision for their political cowardness and feeding off the fringe far-right, while claiming to be "neutral/apolitical" within the same breath.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Yasuke likely will be plenty likable. I'm more skeptical of the ninja girl since we know her main viewpoint is that ending the 100 year civil war in Japan is apparently bad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Old_Hunter_77, more Shadows for you.

I am actually impressed with what the team is doing here. The game actually has a sense of style and identity. I won't pay full price of course, but I'll get the game at 50%-55% off. Whenever that time comes.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

I am actually impressed with what the team is doing here. The game actually has a sense of style and identity. I won't pay full price of course, but I'll get the game at 50%-55% off. Whenever that time comes.
I too was impressed. Yasuke's combat feels slightly off, like the player was parrying too late and yet still successfully parried, but it doesn't look floaty and disconnected. And although the enemies have healthbars, you aren't wailing on them for 5 minutes. The environmental destruction they have is genuinely impressive, that fruit stand Yasuke sent flying was a nice touch.

Naoe's gameplay was the standout for me. The claustrophobic castle with plenty of verticality feels like a perfect stealth arena. Notably, it offers something different to Ghost of Tsushima. GoT had a grappling hook too, but here you seem to have a lost more use for it. I hope they have the weird and crazy Shinobi tools too, like that decapitator they had on Mythbusters. Naoe seems like she can handle herself in a fight, but if the rope tool is her main weapon, I think that's enough to discourage people from bringing her into open combat. It's good for crowd control but doesn't look too fun to play with.

Overall, I'd actually look into this game a few months down the line. I still think the game could have benefited from stronger vision, but they've iterated enough on the formula to get me interested again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yasuke's combat feels slightly off, like the player was parrying too late and yet still successfully parried, but it doesn't look floaty and disconnected.
It looks barely off, but I am sure they have that wrapped up around release time. It does say "work in progress".

but if the rope tool is her main weapon, I think that's enough to discourage people from bringing her into open combat. It's good for crowd control but doesn't look too fun to play with.
The kunai whip chain is more of a distraction weapon/tool than use in all out fight. So it working as intended. As much as I love Ninja Assassin, that weapon tends to get exaggerations at times in other ninja media. It has been used as a killing tool, but it's not most practical in multi-opponents fights. It's best use is for single target assassinations, when not used as a distraction.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

At the very least, there doesn’t seem to be number generators or enemy levels. So they might be ditching the looter RPG of the past games?

Goddamn it, this game keeps jerking me around