The Time I Created Things in San Andreas

thatsthespirit

Nov 18, 2009

Creativity isn't just about making beautiful things.

Read Full Article

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
You were a weird fourteen year old...

But yeah. I remember creating stories for myself as well, most of them involved train robberies and smuggling. Sort of like "Most wanted" or "Extreme police videos" I'd narrate it in my head. It was very fun. <3

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I used to create all sorts of stories, but I had to make do with much earlier titles. Max Payne often became a Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels reference (I'd always use the sawn off shotgun), and Midtown Madness would become the opening to The Naked Gun.

Great stuff.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I still create stories for myself, but none of them are anywhere near as... ..psychotic, as the ones you created.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
I'm so happy to hear I wasn't the only one that made up stories and narrated stuff in my head (or whispered under my breath).

I really love yours and once I finally get around to my mythical replay of the that game (been promising it to myself for 2 years now) I'll probably end up influenced by you. Serial killers are just very interesting characters.

My stories often involved the gimpsuit but not for what it was. It was the only 'stealth suit' looking constume in the game so I'd usually find myself creating Bond-esque story lines that always started with me in a gimpsuit (for sneaking!), a bike helmet, a silenced pistol and diving out of a plane toward my destination. Ah good times...

I also recall me a friend came up with our own challange sequence which started and ended in the desert airfield but required specific vehicle changes at certain points and a constant wanted level. Think we managed it once. The last section involved hovercrafting it back to the arifield and that thing was picky about spawning so we usually ended up gunned down.

JemJar

Feb 17, 2009
thatsthespirit said:

Creativity isn't just about making beautiful things.

Read Full Article
Okay, seriously : I really wish you hadn't published this article. It reads like a perfect case for the prosecution for any and all debates about how games make people violent and messed up.

Feb 8, 2009
Great article. I used to spend hours in San Andreas. I never made stories in that, but I did make my own mini story in GTA IV. There was a warehouse filled with soda bottles and boxes that I would always duck into and get my wanted rating up high. I was a psychotic killer and the police were afraid to enter. Soda bottles were exploding in this sweet movie like firefight.

Then I decided that I was a horrible person.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
One story I came up with during my playthrough of San Andreas was that CJ was a really big fan of classic rock, especially of Tom Petty. So he'd listen to "The Dust" whenever he was outside of Los Santos. But in Los Santos where he might be seen by members of the gangs, he listens to the rap and hip-hop of Radio Los Santos, in order to keep up appearances.

The_Fezz

Oct 21, 2010
I actually did something very like the last one in GTA IV, which was definitely the product of me having waaaaay too much time on my hands, it ended in a swat team raiding my house, me barely making it out alive and then staggering through the underground and on into Bohan where I was eventually taken down in a pond.

Good times?

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
"About 8 o' clock every night I'd... go out on the prowl looking for rich suburbanites to slice with my K-BAR."
"...I was being methodical."

Oh man, this is so gonna end up on a news show some day. :D

I feel like I kinda missed out. I never made up stories, I just killed people for funsies.

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
And here I thought I was weird at the age of 14.
But upon reading this, I realised that I simply never did (nor do now) create any imaginary narratives with fictional characters. I could get involved in their stories, ponder possible consequences of certain actions that the narrative doesn't bother relating to the audience, but I never really got to the point of mustering up enough creativity to expand upon a narrative.

I guess I'm just dead inside.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Huh. I thought I was the only one who did things like this.

Whenever I'm replaying a game, especially ones that offer alternate costumes/characters, I tend to put my own internalized narrative to the story.

The first time I did this was when I unlocked the Regina outfit on Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. After having played Dino Crisis, I figured that it wouldn't be too hard to envision the two series happening within the same universe. Somehow, Regina herself ended up in Raccoon City for her own nefarious purposes (this changes a lot, from retrieving samples or eliminating evidence and more), the whole time impersonating someone named "Jill" that everyone keeps mistaking her for, despite the red hair.

Stuff like this adds a nice layer of replayability to games, especially if you've already beaten them several times (besides, who wouldn't want to play through Metal Gear Solid 4 as Otacon in a tuxedo?).

Inspired by this, and a combination of boredom and self-amusement, I made a chart that - like the Tommy Westphall [http://home.vicnet.net.au/~kwgow/crossovers.html] multiverse - would connect completely unrelated games into a single continuity using the "alternate costume" connection. It got pretty big before I decided that it was getting a little too creepy, even for me.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Stories in GTA SA, just play the MP mod and there you will really see your creativity explode in the RP servers.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Yea, San Andreas was great for making your own narrative and you knew that yours would end up being different from your friends'.
Fallout 3 was good for that too.

evilengine

Nov 20, 2009
I seem to be in a minority when it comes to GTA games. I'm one of the few who actually enjoys completing the missions and progressing with the story, meeting the new characters, unlocking the new sections and weapons as I go along. Sure I love to dick about, but I can only dick around so long before growing bored...a game needs structure to keep going, that's how I see it anyway.

Not a fan of cheats either, until I finish the main story that is! Once the 'game' is complete I have no worries is spawning vehicles and the like to keep myself entertained. A particular favorite was spawning the tanker truck atop the mountain or one of the skyscrapers and either driving it right off the edge, or backing it up slowly and teetering it over, climbing out and walking along the tank. Fun times, but fun that is earned!

GistoftheFist

Jan 6, 2012
A few years ago my computer died. My brother owned the consoles and I didn't have any games on them so I went to a Gamestop and picked up a newish copy of GTA3 to tide me over until my next computer was available.

I used to recreate my own episodes of Liberty City Survivor; i'd begin by starting fistfights in the park and rob the pickpocket model, then move onto opening fire on Triads from a stolen vehicle. Next I would hurl grenades into crowds of gangs and do my best to avoid the SWAT teams and FBI trying to PIT maneuver me. I'd have to end it by snatching a firetruck and going as fast as I could, flattening every pedestrian I saw and smashing smaller cars out of my way until I died in a deafening explosion.

Being able to make your own fun in the GTA games was almost more enjoyable than the storylines themselves.

ArmorKingBaneGief

Mar 19, 2012
evilengine said:
Not a fan of cheats either, until I finish the main story that is! Once the 'game' is complete I have no worries is spawning vehicles and the like to keep myself entertained. A particular favorite was spawning the tanker truck atop the mountain or one of the skyscrapers and either driving it right off the edge, or backing it up slowly and teetering it over, climbing out and walking along the tank. Fun times, but fun that is earned!
Yeah, you 'earn' them by learning the cheatcodes. Glad we agree.

Anyway, I did this shit all the time in San Andreas. I would get CJ into all kinds of different builds, for different 'versions'. I would get him into a total adonis, get him the hockey mask and pink mohawk, and would pretend that I'm like this lunatic mercenary sort of psycho, and I'd use lots of 'roughneck' stuff like the chainsaw, and heavy guns.

Sometimes I'd get him a big heavy beard, let him gain some pounds as I give him some muscle, and play him like a redneck, with the trucker hat and big black sunglasses, etc. It was just really fun to mix and match, and make my CJ different every time.

It's why I was sad about GTA 4, and the way they just cut everything down, all to make sure you couldn't play their precious PC out of the character they decided for him. But I still got him all those great suits from the middle island, would take a cop car, and pretend I was a roughneck detective like Dirty Harry. It was awesome.

6SteW6

Mar 25, 2011
I still do this I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Just last night in FARCRY 3 I respawned all the outposts, got rid of all my weapons and equipped the Car Repair Tool and played the role of an ex-assassin who had come to the island to get away from his past life. In this fantasy of mine his daughter was kidnapped by an old enemy so he has to methodically go through all of the outposts without raising the alarm (only using my knife) trying to find her and if anyone became aware of his presence she died.

When the alarm was inevitably raised my assassin snapped and then began to terrorize the outposts with weapons stolen from the enemies. I wasn't allowed to buy my own or harvest any plants for health potions, so I had to use those awesome gnarly healing animations to heal up when wounded. I would try to get as many reinforcements called into the place as I could(Tagging the people there, leaving the outpost and coming back will spawn another set of reinforcements) I would then sneak into the base without anyone seeing me and set-up elaborate traps with C4 on their trucks and mines on their patrol paths, leave and watch the chaos from a nearby hill.

It was all very cathartic.