The Top 10 Hardest games according to some Website

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
-Zen- said:
I fail to see how Ninja Gaiden Black outdoes Shinobi in terms of sheer difficulty. Shinobi was so insanely broken and difficult that I couldn't even complete it.
Ahh, nostalgia. I never played Ninja Gaiden so I can't compare. It was pretty fucking hard at times though, I think I managed to reach the Final Stage, but that's about it.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
ENKC said:
Personally I find F Zero GX to be soul destroying beyond the first few tournaments as well.
To this day, F-zero Gx remains my sole claim to being a real hardcore gamer. I finished every cup on master, and every story mode mission on the hardest difficulty. Every. One.
Something like devil may cry 3, I couldn't finish on easy mode. I failed so hard at that game...

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
Legendsmith said:
haruvister said:
In Jet Set Willy you could get stuck in 'infinite death loops', whereby you'd respawn above a deadly pit or somesuch.
And is what made it really hard? (As opposed to being just hard) It just sounds like crappy respawn systems. That's not a qualification for difficulty in my book, it's a qualification for the developers to receive a kick.
True, but the actual game was instant-death-tastic also.

Where have the days of lives and continues gone? I yearn for the punishment of being put back to the START OF THE GAME.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
MatParker116 said:
KaiRai said:
MGS isn't so difficult. There's plenty of other games that should be on there. Vampire Rain? Coded Arms? Just saying....
Play MGS on the hardest difficulty, cry and then break the disc.
Oh yeah I'll agree it's pretty hard, nigh on impossible, but there are some games that even on easy mode top MGS on extreme. Tis a joke.

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
Devil May Cry 3 is Satan in game form. I never got past the second boss, and my friend never got past the third.

Never played the others though, but I think Super Mario Brothers: The Lost Levels deserves mention. While I never sat down hardcore to play it, I played with two or three continues and only ever got to the second level. It was some serious crap.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
EchetusXe said:
Was Metal Gear so difficult?

Well the link is to 'kotaku.com' and has a picture of a seemingly happy asian man. Scanning over that list it seems that most of the games are Japanese. I guess I'm trying to say there may be some bias from that website, after all nobody has played every game in the world.
That "happy Asian man" is Itagaki san, the creator of Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive.

As far as the list goes, Metal Gear Solid doesn't deserve to be on there at all. To all the people going "Try it on the highest difficulty, LOL" I call shenanigans. My stance is that for a game to be on a "Hardest Games" list it needs to get that reputation on its default difficulty level. Battletoads has no adjustment for difficulty, and therefore deserves the spot. Ninja Gaiden tends to be brutally hard even on "Normal" modes, so those games deserve their spot. If we were going to have games on the list when you put it on "Expert/Insane/Dante must die" level then there are tons of "Hardest" games out there. Heck, Guitar Hero 3 would go on that list as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: Oh yeah, where is the original Bionic Commando? Damn that game.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
That list is so broken. Seriously, how the hell is MGS hard? Also Ninja Gaiden, Contra, and DMC3 all had overhyped difficulties.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
MatParker116 said:
5. Battletoads (1991, Rare / NES)
4. Demon's Souls (2009, From / PS3)
3. Contra (1987, Konami / NES)
2. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (1991, Capcom / SNES)
1. Ninja Gaiden Black (2005, Team Ninja / Xbox)

Ninja Gaiden Black I have an agreement with that game it involves me never playing it again.
Okay I have to ask am I the only person to ever beat Battletoads. Yes I beat that game as a kid. However, judging by my skill on Megaman 10 I don't think I could ever do it again, *snicker*. But seriously, there has to be others to have beaten it. Yes its hard oh f*** is it hard.
Oh, and it should be any Ghouls 'n Ghosts games on that list. That game was so bastardly game. You finish the game and it sends you to the begining to do it all over again.

EBass

Nov 17, 2009
Hell I beat MGS2 on European Extreme, I only really broke a sweat in the Vampire Boss fight and the button mashing bit when Dr Octopus chokes you at the end (been so long since I played the game can't remember hardly any of it) MGS1 was even easier than that.

If we're being honest here the whole list would be populated with 80s arcade games whose whole business model relied on them being frikkin impossible yet compulsive enough for you to keep feeding in the quarters.

If we're talking about more modern games well..........

Hidden and Dangerous Two was the only FPS game ever which I couldn't complete with relative ease on the hardest setting. I stubbornly bullied through the first two missions before realising even I wasent so bloody maschocistic.

Arma2 is friggin hard on veteran mode almost purely because the AI can see right through the grass. I played OFP on Vet all the time with no problems, ACE2 mod sorts it out quite a bit though. Makes grassy sections completable without savegame attrition/telling all your squad to lie down while you hide behind something solid.

The whole soldier sim genre infact. The Rainbow Six games (NOT VEGAS) were bloody hard on the hardest setting. The couple of stealth missions in the original were teeth mashing nightmares.

Then you've got some games whose historical accuracy lends them to being hard. Ever tried playing the early war campaigns as a Russian pilot against the luftwaffe? Me109s kinda beat the crap out of your inter war pieces of shit.

Durxom

May 12, 2009
Outright Villainy said:
ENKC said:
Personally I find F Zero GX to be soul destroying beyond the first few tournaments as well.
To this day, F-zero Gx remains my sole claim to being a real hardcore gamer. I finished every cup on master, and every story mode mission on the hardest difficulty. Every. One.
Something like devil may cry 3, I couldn't finish on easy mode. I failed so hard at that game...

For somehow completing that task. I never completed all the master things, but somehow beat all the story-mode missions on very hard xD....that game was just sadistic. Especially just finally reaching the last mission on normal...

"Ah..finally beat the game...oh what's this? Race the creators...this track doesn't look that hard."
-learns said track is a speed test, with incredibly sharp corners...and no walls...with incredibly trippy foregrounds and backgrounds, making it that much harder-
"...FUUUUUUUUU-"

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
Metal Gear on Extreme to get No Alerts, That IS difficult. In fact on normal, I found the game challenging, and I played it recently! And having Demons Souls there just makes me want it more! IT'S A DAMN CHALLENGE TO MY GAMING PROFILE!

Calumon: What about Mushihimesama?

Seen that before, but never been able to figure out the hitboxes of anything in it.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Ninja Gaiden was waaaaaay harder than Ninja Gaiden Black, I'm happy to see Ikaruga on the list though

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Durxom said:
Outright Villainy said:
ENKC said:

For somehow completing that task. I never completed all the master things, but somehow beat all the story-mode missions on very hard xD....that game was just sadistic. Especially just finally reaching the last mission on normal...

"Ah..finally beat the game...oh what's this? Race the creators...this track doesn't look that hard."
-learns said track is a speed test, with incredibly sharp corners...and no walls...with incredibly trippy foregrounds and backgrounds, making it that much harder-
"...FUUUUUUUUU-"
Yeah, I purposefully omitted the Ghosts from my post for that reason. Fucking. Impossible. I never learnt how to snake either so I guess that might have helped, but I was a little pissed that I couldn't even beat any of the sodding ghosts. At that stage I was getting a bit sick of it mind, beating that bloody tunnel on very hard will crush your soul for you! Nice to see another dedicated Gx player though. :)

UnusualStranger

Keep a hat handy
Jan 23, 2010
You know what? I think they put the wrong Ninja Gaiden up there.

Know which one should really be there?

The original Ninja Gaiden for the NES.

I have beaten Ninja Gaiden Black, and shown it what the hell was up looking like a professional. Ninja Gaiden on the original Kicked my ass, kicked me on the ground, buried me, dug me back up, kicked me again, then threw me at my own door to break into my house to live there a while.

Yes, that game made me quite angry, why do you ask?

Gardenclaw

Jul 12, 2009
Shadow of the beast 2 and Bubble Bobble should be on that list. Nice to see jet set willy on there though...

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
They must be playing MGS at Big Boss mode or something. Ninja Gaiden Black? errr no not to me. Ikaruga, well I suck at shmups. Now as far as DMC3 I'll say thats one of the hardest games in recent memory that I played that was hard. I remember getting my ass kicked in easy mode lol