The Top Ten Hardest Game Characters

poleboy

May 19, 2008
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Frank West: He's covered wars ya know
Not sure if you're being ironic but he has my vote.
Wearing a super suit with regenerating shields or picking off grunts with a sniper rifle doesn't make you hard. Plowing through the legions of living dead and crazy cultists armed with a golf club and a sledgehammer... that's hard. To me, a "hard" character needs to beat unbeatable odds and preferably become horribly scarred in the process.

LackingSaint

Apr 23, 2008
Ratchet. WHo else can disintegrate you with a wrench? Nobody, that's who. Honourable mention to Gordon Freeman, the only guy who can survive an alien outbreak and several close-to-death experience without dropping his glasses.

Meliz

Apr 9, 2008
LackingSaint said:
Ratchet. WHo else can disintegrate you with a wrench? Nobody, that's who. Honourable mention to Gordon Freeman, the only guy who can survive an alien outbreak and several close-to-death experience without dropping his glasses.
never seen the duke without his shades. even in SPACE!

bamforth

Mar 10, 2008
How about Strelok? Goes up against invisible mutants, millitary and rival factions armed with grenade launchers without even knowing who he is, who his friends were, where he is or why he is there?

geggis

May 29, 2008
If you can beat The Nameless One from Planescape: Torment as The Hardest then indulge me.

He has so much horrendous stuff done to him physically and emotionally and to top it off his immortality grants him no sanctuary from pain - that's pretty tough ;-)

leugim789

May 29, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Actually, according to Wiki, no-one here fits.

According to the all-mighty wikipedia, hardness is "characterized by a disregard for local law enforcement, a familiarity with illegal drugs and weaponry, a criminal record, and aggressive tendencies when it is felt that personal territory or livelihood is being threatened". Doesn't really fit any of our characters any more than any other videogame character.
then i guess niko bellic would fit right in

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Megaman is known as Rockman in Japan thus making him the hardest character, both in name and by virture of the fact that he defeats Hardman, who was literally the "hardest" character in gaming.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Onsokumaru said:
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
I'd go for Chuck Rock 2: Son of Chuck. This guy is only one year old and he's already fighting massive dinosaurs with a club that's bigger than he is.
Yeah, but his old man didn't even need a club to whack all sorts of creatures. Only his beer belly. Of course, that may be a bit much to ask from a one year old.
Meh. IRL I know guys who've felled people with their beer bellies by accident!

(That said, to the best of my knowledge Chuck Rock never got thrown out of a bar for it...)

poleboy

May 19, 2008
tendo82 said:
Megaman is known as Rockman in Japan thus making him the hardest character, both in name and by virture of the fact that he defeats Hardman, who was literally the "hardest" character in gaming.
You win, at least in theory. Have a cookie.

Sparrowsabre7

Mar 12, 2008
poleboy said:
Sparrowsabre7 said:
Frank West: He's covered wars ya know
Not sure if you're being ironic but he has my vote.
Wearing a super suit with regenerating shields or picking off grunts with a sniper rifle doesn't make you hard. Plowing through the legions of living dead and crazy cultists armed with a golf club and a sledgehammer... that's hard. To me, a "hard" character needs to beat unbeatable odds and preferably become horribly scarred in the process.
I never joke about the Frankster; he is awesome. You ever seen Leon Kennedy or Jill Valentine disembowel a zombie with their bare hands? Didn't think so

Joubert

May 8, 2008
Hmmmm... if Venture Brothers' Brock Sampson was in a videogame, he might at least be a close second to Duke.

Mephilese

Jun 2, 2008
Marcus fenix :)
Or actually that guy from RE4 Jack Krauser.
I mean fuck, he can mutate his arm out about 5 feet then swipe the heads off about 10 ganardos... Ah Resident Evil's laws-of-physics-denying violence, you gotta love it :)

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
irishdelinquent said:
Fallensky7 said:
Master Chief: Not sure that I give him the badass/hardest award, he probably gets more of the most Efficient Killing Machine Ever; But not really the badass material.
You have offended every fibre of my being with this statement. Master Chief is most certainly NOT the most efficient killing machine ever. Samus almost wiped out an entire species, and dismantled the Space Pirates organization several times, before Master Chief came along. Mario has butt-stomped more annoying midgets (Goombas) than MC could ever dream of (those damn grunts). How many thousand moblins, stalfos, and octoroks has Link put to the sword before 2001? Master Chief has only had three games worth of homicide...whoopidy doo.
You seem to misunderstand the concept of efficiency; doing something for no longer does not make them efficient, quite the opposite in fact. If anything, the fact that he only takes three games makes it more impressive (from a meta-game point of view). A marine at the beginning of Halo 3 says Master Chief falls two kilometres, and then he just walks it off. Sounds pretty hard to me.

PS. I fail to see how Master Chief doesn't count because he's a cyborg super soldier, yet Kratos does and he's effectively a God.