The Top Three Contenders for GOTY

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Portal 2, Saints Row, Deus Ex, and Batman are the ones I would like to see, but all the Skyrim pantsmessing means it's belligerent group of fanboys will push others out of the way, much as CoD has done for a few years.

Big-T

Jan 11, 2010
Arkham City, Battlefield 3, Portal 2.

Portal 2 was AMAZING and i really think it needs more appreciation, Portal is better (duh, but thats a hell of a game to have to follow up) however, the second one was fantastic. Plus the Multiplayer was a great addition into that game, but theres no re-play value at all. Battlefield 3 suprised me with how much i like it more than CoD, ive been trying to find a game that could detox me from the CoD drug that ive now become addicted to, and BF3 seems to be helping me get hooked on another FPS for a few years. And Although Batman AC JUST came out, Its remarkable, I have not been able to put that game down for a second. Im too much of a fanboy to remain unbiased so ill just say i freakin love that game and i hope it gets the GOTY award.

TO BE FAIR: I haven't played Deux Ex or Saints row 3,
and CoD MW3, Skyrim and Uncharted 3 havent come out yet.

so..... yeah.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
My 3 GOTY will most likely be Skyrim, Fifa 12 and Dead Island.

All 3 are (and look like, in Skyrims case) fantastic games. Dead Island was great when it came out, and I am having tons of fun on Fifa 12 before Skyrim, which I will most likely enjoy greatly as well.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Warhammer 40K Space Marine
Dead Island
and.....I can't recall any other games that could be game of the year.

radioactive lemur

May 26, 2010
Fox242 said:
Arkham City has just been released to universal critical acclaim. Uncharted 3 and Skyrim are just around the corner and the anticipation for these games is immense. Personally, these three games are probably the top contenders for GOTY amongst the fans and the major gaming publications IMO.

Which three games do the members of the Escapist think are the ones that will be in the race for GOTY 2011?
Definitely those. Arkham City stands well out from the pack this year, vastly superior to the best games of the year pre-AC (Deus Ex, Infamous 2 etc.). If it was the end of they year I'd call it a lock, but both Uncharted 3 and Skyrim look unbelievable so it may be end up being a tight race after all.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
Impossible to tell at this point. Too many heavy hitters coming out. As for whats avalible today, my friends have all raved Batman as being one of the greatest games they've played yet.

I have immense hope for Skyrim, and Saints row 3 gets better every time I see it.

Oh wait Minecraft.

That.

TheGuyWithThatHair

Jan 31, 2011
I want Deus Ex:HR or Skyrim to win, to show people that deep and complex games are worth something, but I reckon it's going to go to Battlefield, knowing sites like IGN and Gamespot.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Mimsofthedawg said:
That's not true. Any body who views it from a developmental standpoint can tell that Skyrim and Uncharted 3 bring many new and refreshing ideas to the foreground, as well as a highly polished game design. That's to say nothing of the aesthetics and graphic design.

Deus Ex brought NOTHING (let me reiterate this) NOTHING!!!!!!! new to games. It wasn't even unique. In fact, one of the reasons why I disdain that game so much is because it through out almost every good shooter innovation of the last decade, and put these bland mechanics in stereotypical, linear, unoriginal "corridors" with nothing interesting in any of them. Put simply, it was boring.

LA Noire is a pile of poo. The choices are repetitive, oversimplistic, and (as Yahtzee pointed out) it, too, does nothing new. It is simply a rehash of point and click adventure games with good facial expression technology. And the funny thing is, most of those point and click adventure games accomplished their tasks far better than LA Noire. It was an interesting attempt, but simply a poor game.
Look youve expressed your opinion. My opinion is no different. Every complaint you can make about LA Noire I can make something equally as valid about how Skyrim brings forth absolutely nothing that wasnt also present in F3, F:NV or Oblivion, or that the only thing that Skyrim brings is Irrational loyalty for anything TES. For every complaint against Deus Ex being boring, I can bring forth equal amounts of how Uncharted is tedious, and how Its a poor mans tomb raider, or questioning how you can consider a console exclusive as a GOTY contender.

All this boils down to is opinion. You asked for me to explain myself as to why I feel that LA noire and Deus Ex should be viewed as GOTY contenders, and I have done that, and then some. Your entitled to disagree with the opinion but that does not make either of the opinions more or less valid. So Im content in that my points have been expressed. Your free to take those opinions for what they are worth, but further discussion on it isnt going to prove me wrong or prove you right. To continue would be absolutely pointless.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Ubermetalhed said:
How come people are mentioning games that haven't even been released? Surely the top 3 contenders can only be games you've played? Shall we all say what GOTY is for next year aswell?

Anyway, mine are Deus Ex HR, Portal 2 and Dark Souls.
Thank god! It's not just me! I hate how Skyrim has been nominated for Game of the year for months now! It seriously bugs me!

I would nominate Deus Ex, Portal 2 and Dungeon Defender. I haven't played that many 2011 releases yet...

iastreb93

Jul 21, 2011
I just beat Batman:AC today. I loved it, though the ending could have been done better. For now just 2 game make my list: Portal 2 and Bastion. I hope that Skyrim and Zelda: SW will make it in my list as well.

Orcboyphil

Dec 25, 2008
The Top three game of the year will be:-

3. Minecraft
2. Minecraft!
1. MINECRAFT!!!

Ummm, I think the blocks are beginning to warp my mind. they talk to you at night they does

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
top 3 contenders:
BF3
Skyrim
Batman: AC

but honorable mentions:
Crysis 2
Portal 2
Dues Ex:HR

Rodrigo Girao

May 13, 2011
My picks are quite obvious, really...

[http://www.gun-lord.com/]

[http://sturmwind.duranik.com/]

[http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth]

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
If I was putting money on it:
Deus Ex Human Revolution,
Skrim,
Arkham City.
Other candidates if I wasn't putting money on it:
Portal 2,
Saints Row the Third,
Battlefield 3.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
The Witcher 2, was godly

Portal 2, incredibly fun

and hopefully, Assassin's Creed Revelations.