The Top Three Contenders for GOTY

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
I'm hoping for Deus Ex: HR, Portal 2 or Infamous 2 to win, but lets face it, GOTY is going to come down to Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3, Skyrim, and Uncharted 3 (and maybe Gears or Arkham City.)

Liam Riordan

Feb 25, 2010
Dues Ex, Portal 2, Arkym City.

The shooters are rehashes, the three above are damned near masterpieces in my eyes.

KnightOfHearts

May 24, 2011
Even though it's not out yet Skyrim is definitely in there.

Arkham city and gears of war 3 perhaps...

Even though you only said 3 I must say dark souls should have a chance

Assassins creed: revelations also may have a chance.

brendonnelly

Aug 11, 2009
I think Zelda has a good chance. The first review of it is out, 10/10 by edge magazine.
Also, ONM gave it 98/100 (their highest score ever) and called it the best Zelda game ever, take what you will from that.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Top 3 games for GOTY?
Skyrim
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
Skyrim
Skyrim

There is no contender.

ChillzMaster

Mar 23, 2011
I agree with the OP, when I first looked at the year in review, I knew that Portal 2, Mortal Kombat, Skyrim, Uncharted, Batman: Arkham City, and Skyward Sword were going to be awesome, but the true GOTY contenders were yet to be determined.

Upon further thought, I acknowledged Skyrim as the probable GOTY. Further ponderings later, I admitted that Uncharted 3 has a pretty solid shot at taking down The Elder Scrolls. The 10/10 review GameInformer gave Arkham City drove me to buy it at the midnight launch and play it nonstop in all my freetime when I'm not at school, lifting, acting, or posting on The Escapist Forums.

As such, I believe the OP is correct, Arkham City, Skyrim, and Uncharted 3 are in the running for GOTY, not much else as far as I can see it can unseat them. An FPS hasn't won GOTY since Halo 2/ Half-Life 2 in '04, so no Battlefield 3/Rage/Hard Reset/Modern Warfare 3/Bulletstorm, so none of the huge amount of FPS' released this year will get any recognition save Battlefield 3's probable "Best Shooter" and "Best Multiplayer" awards.

While Skyrim has the most chance to take GOTY, there is one other foe that could unseat this ages-old RPG franchise's most recent release. I'm talking of course, about the last cry from the Wii before it dies, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. TLoZ has always been a fantastic series, and while some entries get hate for various reasons, they're usually minor when compared to the overall genius of the franchise. Twilight Princess was also the only game to be a legitimate competitor against Oblivion back in '06's GOTY.

This year has some great games lined up for GOTY, but nothing beats last year's "Represent Fest". You know what I'm talking about.

Mass Effect 2 for the 360, God of War 3 for the PS3, Starcraft 2 for the PC, Mario Galaxy 2 for the Wii, but they all fell under the dusty boot of the multi-platform Red Dead Redemption... that was awesome.

-Chillz

Thumper17

May 29, 2009
ash-brewster said:
There are so many awesome titles out this year its hard to pick just a few. Ultimately though it doesn't matter its down to personal preference. Everyone likes different stuff. and GOTY awards for the video games industry are generally a sham. I mean seriously how does black ops get in there?

Skyrim
Saints Row 3
Battlefield 3
The Old Republic
Deux ex: HR
Portal 2
Batman : AC

Basically these.

Plus Uncharted 3 and possibly a few awards for MW 3.

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
I am not going to put in titles that hasn't been released (like Skyrim), because hype doesn't make a good game and if I would, I would have to list out every un-released game. Because the fact of the matter is that I cannot know whether these games are good or not. Regardless here's my top 3 so far:

1. Portal 2
2. Batman: Arkham City
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
To me, it's a toss up between Portal 2, Dead Space 2 and Call of Juarez: The Cartel. Ok, the Cartel's only good in hindsight. It's like the "Sucker Punch principle" I hate it until I see/play something worse (Super 8 and Duke Nukem Forever and/or Homefront, respectivly.) and then I love it.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Your Local DJ said:
Saints Row The Third.

Thats all there is to say
Finally someone who agrees with me.

Im suprised to see that little people are saying Saints Row the Third, well because Saints Row 2 was awesome and the sequel is sticking close to that except making the fun 10X more.

This will be mine.

Overall Winner of the Universe: Saints Row the Third. (We all know its gonna be awesome)
Second place favorites: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. (If its good that is, even isn't released yet!)
Third place but still awesome: Batman: Arkem City

If Skyrim fails (god help us all if that happens), then my old school Pc buddy shall come in Second, Battlefield 3.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
for me its got to be these three, in this order.

Crysis 2
Portal 2
Battlefield 3

I just don't understand why people don't seem to remember crysis 2, I thought that game was awesome, the gameplay was just so varied and deep. sure, the multiplayer was a little glitches and the campaign wasn't perfect but so what, its still an order of magnitude better than any COD or recent Halo game.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
I accept the inherant foolishness in saying "Skyrim should get it" since the game hasn't even been released yet and therefore can have no unbiased reason for its recommendation BUT- I am biased, and I still want it to win.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
It will prolly be many undeserved GOTYs for Skyrim, but I reckon Arkham City is more deserving than all other games sofar this year.
Still, it's early, maybe Skyrim won't turn out all that bad.

devilkingx

Aug 3, 2011
skyrim is gonna win, dark souls uncharted 3, batman and some others will be close contenders

MW3 doesnt deserve GOTY because its basically a black ops patch(slightly updated graphics, bug fixes, ONE LESS MODE(zombie),messes around with some perks) for $60, and if you dont buy it be prepared for all your friends to leave you, and have every game of black ops full of people flying around and walking through walls, it'll be black ops:ghost edition all up in there