The Total War Game Series

Geamo

Aug 27, 2008
Rome was very, very good but I prefer Medieval 2 since i'm personally more familiar with the time period. Stellar games.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
LookingGlass said:
Another question:

What game do you want to see next in the series? Rome 2? A new time period and setting they haven't touched on yet? A futuristic setting?

What do you think the series could/should add in the next installment?
First, regarding a futuristic setting, No. With a capital N. Underlined and in italics and bold.

Creative Assembly is very big on historical accuracy and unit-based combat. It is extremely unlikely that they will ever touch upon combat which extends past the early Industrial Revolution because at that point, the game would have to switch to fire-team or squad-based skirmish games with most of the units adding support-by-fire not even being on the map. While primitive cannons might well fit into the game engine, something like an artillery strike from twenty miles out would not.

Likewise, I doubt they'd ever try a science-fiction setting with their devotion to historical warfare.

I'd like to see them tackle the Three Kingdoms era myself.

Rome has been my favorite so far, with Shogun 2's Realm Divide mechanic and rather limited unit types seeming to make it a bit less fun for me. I suggest you consider Medieval II and its expansion Kingdoms, which will include such a great wealth of various units, politicking, and so on. Medieval II: Kingdoms also features campaigns in the early Americas for an altogether interesting experience as well as some exciting subcampaigns in Europe and crazy modders.

I'd skip Empire entirely; the "stand and shoot muskets" era of warfare just doesn't play well on a PC game.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
The total war series is one of my favourites, I'm in love with them. I would agree and say rome was the most fun and probably my favourite "Vanilla" copy. But the Third Age mod for Medieval 2 Kingdoms is just immense.

As for others, I agree with a few others - skip Empire and go straight to Napoleon.

Can't say much for Shogun 2, as my pc won't run it :(

Spectrum_Prez

Aug 19, 2009
I used to really love the Total War series, but I realized after a while that I only played it for the grand strategy aspect and was automating 99% of the actual battles.

A year ago, I discovered the Paradox Interactive games like Europa Universalis 3 and haven't looked back. If you love the Total War games primarily for the grand strategy, not the battles, then EU3 is a much much better game.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
Without any hesitation, Rome is by far and away the best of the series. I've said this before in pretty much every Total War thread that has appeared in the last year or so as well, but look up the Roma Surrectum (trans: The Rise of Rome) mod and get that installed into R:TW. Unbeatable as far as any other Total War, or indeed any other strategy/RTS game goes. Seriously.

You're welcome :)

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I've played Shogun, Medieval, Rome, Medieval 2 and Empire. Rome and Medieval 2 are my favorites. Those are the only ones where I could really get involved in the tiniest details of maintaining the empire and have a lot of fun from it.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Spacewolf said:
The best way to bribe other roman towns is to give them to an enamy as a gift in exhange for some money or somthing then just invading them as they will be ungarrisoned, and since you didnt take the town from another roman faction your sorted with the senate
Interesting idea, but for that situation I was ready to fight the senate anyway, so it basically gave me a countdown until they declared war, which was my intention.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Istvan said:
For Rome: Total War fans, until the second one comes out I know of an excellent total conversion mod which completely overhauls it, adds much to the historical accuracy and uses every single faction slot on playable factions. They press the engine to its limits but overall it's a very enjoyable experience if you like the historical setting moreso than the asterix & obleix/hollywood depiction of the original Rome.

Here's the website for it if you're interested:
http://www.europabarbarorum.com/

There's also one for medieval 2 kingdoms in the works but that'll be a while before its released.

Oh and my favorite in the series is Rome, though only due to the mods.
I used to play with Rome total realism and i remember that being pretty good as well, i recently installed vanilla again and not sure about wether or not to install mods

Nudu

Jun 1, 2011
I actually liked Rome best, with Medieval II on a second. I don't know, I had fun with Empire and Shogun II, but still...

Markgraf

Apr 1, 2009
Battle-wise; I'd say Napoleon's my favorite. I just find my strategies works best with it. However, Rome's my favorite time period, and Shogun 2 just has the best sense of immersion. I can't help but actually feel pissed when the announcer shouts SHAMEFUR DISPRAY!

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i like medieval 2 for the mods and Napoleon and shogun 2 are pretty much equally good. I liked the gunpowder weapons in Empire but hated the oversized worldmap so Napoleon was just right and Shogun doesn't agree with my PC, the loading times are straight out of DNF.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Medieval 2 is pretty damn good, i've also just picked up Empire and Napoleon in the steam sale... I hope they're as good, if so i'm sure they will keep me out of mischief for a good while.

Mark Flanagan

Apr 25, 2011
Rome, Medieval 2 and Shogun 2 are very good, I liked Empire (Dutch FTW) but it suffered in my eyes from most factions starting with lots of territory (Britain for example) which really annoyed me as I found it hard to manage straight away.

If I had to pick I'd say that Medieval 2 was my favorite (really dig the time period) with Shogun 2 a close second.

Kryzantine

Feb 18, 2010
I'd suggest Medieval 2, and if you're looking for some fun challenges, Kingdoms as well. The Brittania scenario in Kingdoms is simply incredible. It just plays out so well.

But really, modded Rome is best. Europa Barbarorum is a fantastic mod that makes the game so much harder and much more rewarding. It also changes the way you have to think about battles; you have to make sacrifices.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I bought Shogun 2 in the steam summer sale and so far I'm enjoying it but it's more difficult than I imagined it would be when watching my friend play his total war games.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Medieval 2 and Rome are the ones to get. Rome is the better game due to mods, but Medieval 2 is the best vanilla game in the series, due to its overall polish.

Plus, the Kingdoms Expansion pack is like getting four games in one, since the campaigns play so differently.

As for modifications, you have a few options.

For Rome, I recommend Roma Surrectum 2 (The best overall mod yet), Napoleonic Wars, Rome Total Realism (Wait for version 7), Europa Barbarorum (Extreme history element), Viking Invasion 2, and Fourth Age Total War.

For Medieval 2, grab the Kingdoms expansion, and get the mods Stainless Steel, Third Age Total War, Broken Crescent, and Call of Warhammer.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Kryzantine said:
I'd suggest Medieval 2, and if you're looking for some fun challenges, Kingdoms as well. The Brittania scenario in Kingdoms is simply incredible. It just plays out so well.
Oh hell yes, I'm playing through the Britannia Campaign right now. As Scotland, I've finally kicked Norway off the mainland, and now Wallace is leading about ten thousand angry highlanders south to drive off England from encroaching on my border. Highland Nobles are murder machines.