The Ultimate Logical Puzzle

restoshammyman

Jan 5, 2009
Cpt. Red said:
restoshammyman said:
this is far from the The Ultimate Logical Puzzle.
most people have heard it once in they'r lives.
this one is much better:

there are 5 pirates and 100 gold coins.
the 5 must divide the coins amongst them as they see fit.

the rules are simple.
1) one pirate choses how to divide the coins.
2) if the majority agrees, the coins are given and they walk away.(in case of a 50%/50%
split, it counts as a if they agreed on the division of coins)
3) if they do not agree, the pirate who divided the coins is killed and tossed away,
the coins are passed to the next in the chain of command and he must chose how to divide the coins(same rules apply to him as well).
4) each pirate is naturally trying to get as much coins as he possibly can.
5) the pirates are all really MIT grads, there for uber smart and will most likely find a way to do this without the needless killing of the captain of the "SS nerd herd" (in other words, the first pirate should be smart enough to divide the cash without dying if such a case is possible, if not the kill him as you see fit).

and lastly. the chain of command is known in advance. there for when a pirate kicks the bucket the next in line to get the gold. is the next in the chain of command.(as in not just a random other pirate, they all know who is the next to get the gold).

and don't forget. all the rules apply to who ever hes the gold. so you can kill every one other then the last two.(unless they both disagree on the split, and thats just retarded)
The first takes 98, third 1 and fifth 1.
im not gonna point out if your right. but the point in this riddle is the why.
why would you give number 3 and 5 only 1 coin.
my answer btw was give 4 and 5 one coin(but by my logic, it will work with 3 and 5 too).
if you can explain it in a way that no one can see fucked up logic in it. thats the right answer.

Cpt. Red

Jul 24, 2008
restoshammyman said:
Cpt. Red said:
The first takes 98, third 1 and fifth 1.
im not gonna point out if your right. but the point in this riddle is the why.
why would you give number 3 and 5 only 1 coin.
my answer btw was give 4 and 5 one coin(but by my logic, it will work with 3 and 5 too).
if you can explain it in a way that no one can see fucked up logic in it. thats the right answer.
Yes 4 and 5 will also work according to my logic as well.
These are the most optimal for each step:
2 left, 5 gets 0, 4 gets 100
3 left, 5 gets 1, 3 gets 99
4 left, 5 gets 1, 2 gets 99
5 left, 5 gets 1, 3 gets 1, 1 gets 98

Why?
When there is two left the leader can just give himself everything and get away with it.
3 left the leader must try to get one more to agree and becuase he knows that if 5 says no he will get nothing so the leader gives 5 one gold and then takes the rest.
4 left, see 3 left.
5 left, the leader must get 2 more to agree with him. If he gives 5 one gold five will say yes as he cant get any more. Then if he gives 3 one gold he should also agree as if he says no he wont get anything becuase 2 will get a yes without giving 3 anything.

Impuls

Apr 10, 2009
"is that the door you are guarding?"

if he says yes, enter it, if he says no take the other one.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
The sentence below is true.

The sentence above is false.

At least, that's how I think it goes. Now all you have to do is broadcast it to all those rebellious robots and their heads should explode.

Magnaflame

Nov 30, 2008
As for the why with the blue eyes puzzle. If one blue eye looks around and sees nobody else with blue eyes, he'll go the first night. If two blue eyes see each other they will wonder why the other isn't going, and figure out they have blue eyes because of this. They will both go on the second night. This goes all the way up to 50, where all 50 leave on the 50th night. Then when all of the brown eyes see they are alone, they can presume that their eyes are all brown.

lonercs

Jun 6, 2008
Answer: You say the 2 guards to point to your door.

Explanation: The guard to heaven will point to his/her door, heaven, and tell the truth. The guard to hell will point to the door to heaven, for he/she will lie and point the door to heaven. The hell guard must lie and can't point to his/her door because that would be telling the truth.

Mr. Purple

May 1, 2008
MasterStratus said:
I would point towards one of the doors and ask them if God is behind it. If it was heaven he guard guarding Hell would know that it is true and say no. The guard guarding the door to heaven would say yes. Vice versa if the door I pointed at was Hell.
No matter what if u asked this, one guard would say yes and the other no. Then u wouldnt know which was which. If the hell gaurd was in front of it he would still say yes and the other would say no.

Mr. Purple

May 1, 2008
lonercs said:
Answer: You say the 2 guards to point to your door.

Explanation: The guard to heaven will point to his/her door, heaven, and tell the truth. The guard to hell will point to the door to heaven, for he/she will lie and point the door to heaven. The hell guard must lie and can't point to his/her door because that would be telling the truth.
...its not lying. He wouldnt say anything. And the post never said anything about them doing actions for u.

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
Calobi said:
What door would the other guard point me to to get to Heaven? Then take the other one.
This is the right answer. It works no matter which guard is lying and which it telling the truth. Finally, thank you whoever referenced David Bowie, since this was used in "Labyrinth."

Doghound

Apr 27, 2009
I think that there is no answer to this question stated yet.

If we start with the assumption that neither of the guards know if their partner lies or not (but one does), then the wouldn't be able to answer the questions "Which door will the other guard say is the door to heaven?" without just guessing.

In order to follow the logic of them both pointing to the hell door, they would need to have the knowledge which one of them was the liar and which one of them was the truth teller.

Sooo...

We'd have to go with the assumption that they both know which is the liar and which tells the truth. Then the question "Which door will the other guard say is the door to heaven?" would end up in an infinite loop, by logic standards. Why?

We'll look at one case, here... let's say you walk up and ask the lying guard the question. He knows that his partner will tell the truth and point to the door that leads to heaven, so he'll point to the other, the door that leads to hell. Ok, this sounds good for now. That's why people say the logic works... but it doesn't.

This is because the lying guard knows that his partner will tell the truth about his lie if he lies. In other words, the lying guard knows the truth telling guard would point to the door going to hell, too, since he would call out the lying guard's lie. Therefore, he has to point back to the other door, the door going to heaven. But then the truth guard would, too, since he has to tell the truth about which door the lying guard would point to, and then....
back
and forth
back
and forth

In reality, the question "Which door will the other guard say is the door to heaven?" would result in a endless loop.

Walker100

Apr 13, 2009
Ask one of the guards:"If I were to ask the other guard which door leads to Heaven, which door would he pick?" I would then pick the opposite door of the one he would say since that would be the right door. Yay! I get to go to heaven! I can'y wait to sit around all the time and play games, read comics, browse the internet and...wait a minute...

Either that or you do what they did in Order of the Stick and attack one of them. the liar wouldn't admit the attack and the liar would so you could tell them apart.

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
This was on Yu-Gi-Oh so you ask them to take you to their place. The lier would take you to heaven as he is lying and the heaven guard will take you to heaven as it is telling the truth.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
This one is easy, heard it several times. I'd ask "What would the other guard say is the door to Heaven?".

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
There are two doors here right?
Whichever says yes go through that door.