The Ultimate Pokemon Game

Hat of Controversy

Nov 11, 2009
[small]About 85% of my childhood composed into a single .PNG file.[/small]​

I, like a lot of people, have been following the Pokemon franchise for many years now. I think it's a fantastic concept, and it can be loads of fun. Lately though, these games seem to be getting lazier and more stale. I mean, seriously, Pokemon Platinum is the game that SHOULD of been released in place of Diamond/Pearl. Diamond/Pearl were decent, but far from perfect. SO, I have decided to make a list of ideas/features/tweaks/blah-blah-blahs that I personally think would make for a more enjoyable experience.

List o' Ideas:

- Full 3-D world.
One with some real exploration and some open-endedness.

- Fully customizable characters.
At the very least you should be allowed to change your characters clothing.

- Have at least one of every element of Pokemon available for a Starter Pokemon.
It would help break the monotony, and starting off with something like a Dragon or Ghost type could be really interesting.

- MAKE THE POKEMON BATTLES REAL TIME!
This would be great! Being able to actually control your Pokemon, and having different attacks assigned to different buttons. It could control Super Smash Bros. Brawl style. Well, I thought it would be neat.

- More than one rival.
Imagine starting off as a young kid with like, 8 brothers and sisters, and along your journey you cross paths with them while they're on their journey, and you get to compete against them for the top rank of Pokemon Champion? I think it would make things a good bit deeper and more tense.

- Hobos.
Not just any hobos. Hobos with Pokemon of their own, and who will do anything to beat you, steal your stuff, and get into the limelight. HOBO POKEMAN TRAYNARZ FTW!
[small]What a dangerous world this would be...[/small]​

- Difficulty settings.
I think a difficulty slider that you can change at any time during the course of the game (Like how they did in "Elder Scrolls: Oblivion") could really help to keep the game from getting to easy and monotonous. Far too often do I find myself breezing past the entire game with a single, powerful Pokemon (usually my starter).

- New Continent.
Here on this continent is where you can find ALL of the Pokemon. Here you can find ANY kind of trainer. Sure its not realistic, but man would it rock!

- Meet and battle all of the protagonists from previous games - and even the show!
It'd be interesting to battle against Ash, Dawn, Red, and all them other androgynous dudes/dudettes from the previous games.

- More streamlined HM usage.
There is no reason for the game to have to ask if whether or not you want to use Rock Smash on EVERY SINGLE ROCK you wish to break. You should just be able to walk up to a pond, a rock, or a small tree and press a certain button (that you can assign yourself of course) and "POOF"! If you have a Pokemon on you with the appropriate HM learned, then it just does its magic. Stuff like "Fly" or "Teleport" you would still have to select from the menu, but that's understandable.

- More streamlined Battles.
Rather than telling us every single turn that its raining or something, just put up a colorful little symbol appropriate to the battlefields current condition. Also, when damage is being done, the health bar should move faster. Having to watch your enemy's health bar dwindle for five minutes after performing a 1-Hit KO move on it is rather dull.

- Wider variety of wild Pokemon.
Why the heck am I running into nothing but Bidoofs, Zubats, and Geodudes in THE 4TH GENERATION OF POKEMON GAMES!?!? Pretty self explanatory.
[small]"WWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ARE DERE SO MENY OF DEM!?!?!!?!?"[/small]​

- Opponents have a wider variety of Pokemon.
It isn't really at all intense or interesting when you know that the next Gym is going to have nothing but water types, and all you have to do is bust out your Level 88 Pikachu and can instantly wipe them all out without a hitch. Just a thought.

- Balance out Elemental weaknesses.
Just because my Level 50 Bulbasaur smacked a level 50 Blastoise across the bum with one of his grass whips does not mean that the Blastoise should go down in a single hit, just because of "Elemental Weaknesses".

- Fainting?
Okay, this is really just something that bothers me personally and is of no real fault of the games, but how come when a Pokemon "faints" you can't catch it? ITS RIGHT THERE! Its just unconscious! Smack it with one of your Poke Balls and take it home! Its not as if its dead, since they go to great lengths to make sure that the cute little critters only "knock each other out". Also, why is it that you can never again go after a legendary after making it "faint"? Again, its not dead! You just knocked it out! Couldn't you just go away for a while, let it wake up, and then try again? I don't know, its just always bothered me is all...

- Evolutions requiring Trades.
Stop this. Stop it now. I would rather not have to trade for someone elses Machoke or Kadabra or Haunter just so I can get their fully evolved form, and have to deal with their retarded nickname or stats given by the previous owner. Again, this is more of a minor point. Its just one of those things that always bugged me.

Yeah, that's all I got. Ya'll have any ideas of your own that you'd like to see in a Pokemon game?

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
The ability to climb up a wall. Not a big one, but so many times my chaacter has been blocked by a foot high stump

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
There are what.... Seventeen elemental types. I think they're as balanced as they're gonna get.

Though I still don't understand the difference between ground and rock.

Ben Lehman

Feb 21, 2010
The only one that the games ABSOLUTELY need is the customizable characters. Especially since the costume designers all seriously suck at their jobs

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
I like all of the ideas. However

Fainting has to be there because it is the only real child friendly version of the word killing. Although what you said is a good point.

Elemental difference. How do you suppose that they balance that one. And what the heck is the difference between Ground/Rock and Ghost/Dark?

Manhattan2112

Jul 5, 2009
In all honesty, I love everything about this. They should move Pokemon from a gameboy game to a next-gen console game. But it'd come out for the Wii and that would suck. But like it would be so absolutely FUN, if we could get gameboy game pokemon converted (and upgraded) to a Ps3 or an Xbox360.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Really they need to fix the HM aystem, considering the moves just plain out suck most of the time. Notable exceptions being Surf and Fly. Maybe make it a key item that you can assign to a button instead of wasting a valuable move slot to use it. Dragging around an HM slave also isn't very fun, especially for those who want a 6 member party.

Many of your ideas would probably overcomplicate a game that was rather simple. All 17 types of Pokemon for a starter would be an absolute mess to balance, not to mention dual-types. Since every starter except Yellow relied on a simple "Rock Paper Scissors" setup that was relatively easy to balance, you shouldn't try to add too much difficulty into a player's choice.

Multiple rivals was addressed in R/S/E with Wally and Brendan/May.

An open-ended world probably isn't going to be advisable considering that if you go in a different direction than you should, you might get mauled to death by random encounters and trainers who are much stronger than you. That or you may end up just fighting trainers that are easy to beat, to keep the game from becoming overly difficult. Sticking to a single path with some branching is a formula that works.

Fighting characters from the show? Red/Ash and Blue/Gary were both trainers you could fight with in G/S/C.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
too irrrelevant, didn't read.

Anyway, I always loved the boxart of the pokemon Gameboy(color) games. I think I might still have Silver laying around somewhere even though the actual cartridge is smashed.

TheNumber1Zero

Forgot to Remember
Jul 23, 2009
Ditch Flash

It was gone, then they brought it back.
I don't care if you can overrride it now, I don't want to have to use it period, I always hated it.

Also, you forgot Pokemon: Crystal Version in your giant Image.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
You have some ideas there for sure, but in all honesty they will keep releasing the pokemon games in the same format.

They have no reason to do drastic changes and completely overhaul the games. It is the best selling franchise on the DS and every time they make a new game they satisfy the gamers by adding new things. Not necessarily changing things drastically, as that would probably scare off a lot of people. Not that I agree with that mentality but it's true.

Every game that's come out they've done some cool thing (and I'm not talking about adding a bajillion more pokemon, although that seems to keep people interested).
The poketch apps were a great addition. Same with the battle tower.

In all likeliness maybe some of your ideas will get implemented. But I highly doubt they will ever do things like real time battles or completely make the world 3D.

If they ever do something like that it would probably be a spinoff to the whole series and would be something like "Pikachu's big day out" or something.

Good points though.

Blindswordmaster

Dec 28, 2009
-We need a job system, another way to make money other than battling.
-Customizable characters
-give money more uses
-no trading required
-make every pokemon available in one game, i don't want to trade with someone else just because my version doesn't have one single fucking pokemon! This actually made sense back when everyone had pokemon, but today it's a habit better left to go solo.
-better environments
-balance the number of pokemon in each element
-allow us to go to every continent. HEAR ME?! EVERY CONTINENT!
-give me replay value, such as new areas available after you beat the elite four
-allow us to catch the starters. THEY COME FROM SOMEWHERE!
-co-op, but the fevered dream of a madman
-stop making such ridiculous requirements to evolve our MOTHERFUCKING POKEMON!
-the days of the silent protagonist are dead and buried, let our character talk
-make wild pokemon (in some ares) level up with me

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
IdealistCommi said:
I say starting with a dragon would be horrible, because only ice or other dragons can damage it, neither of which you don't face for a while.

Anyways, I don't like the idea of pokemon being real time. Not fully sure why, but I would not buy a real time pokemon game. It just seems like it would be bad
i have to agree, real time would just make the game suck.
but they should do like they did with gold and silver and make another extended game like hoenn and sinnoh

Hat of Controversy

Nov 11, 2009
Dr Poochenstein said:
There is a better version of pokemon than that, you play it in real life, using dogs.
Yeah, but when your beloved pooch gets "K.O.ed" and "faints" in real life, a quick stop at the nearest Poke Center doesn't always revive them...

Also I've been jabbing mine with just about every kind of rock I can find and it still won't evolve...

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I want a More Adult Pokemon Game, something more like underground pokemon fights where the Pokemon actually Die! I mean, Pokemon does seem like it could grow up on us, any year now...