The unjustly ignored games

blackcherry

Apr 9, 2008
Would personally add majoras mask to that list. Its a game that sold very few copies (that it came out at the end of the N64s life cycle and needed an expansion pack may have had something to do with that). Its a very good game that to be honest everyone who has ever played seems to enjoy. I would even put it above OOT its that good.

crusha_aa

Feb 27, 2008
Natural Hazard said:
SWAT 4, doesn't get much attention anymore.. shame really
Yeah, great game, one of the better shooters imo.

I just HAVE to mention Outcast, still my favourite game of all time and hardly anyone has even heard of it.

lightbulbthief

Jan 16, 2008
nice list, Id also add snatcher (and policenauts but i haven't played due to linguistic problems) Although Im glad Metal gear solid did so well it was somewhat of a double edged sword cos it meant that snatcher often gets overlooked which is a shame.
Something you could argue Kojima agrees with, what with the metal gear MK 2 in MGS4 do you think Kojima is getting nostalgic to his series that could have been (he says its fan service but i think its more then that)perhaps we will see a sequel in the future, i know id welcome it.

(id also like a translated version of policenauts to appear on PSN xbox live and wii, the fan translation is taking far too long)

jedikv

Oct 19, 2007
end_boss said:
As for the rest of the ones I left in the quote... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? Yes, they're great games! Yes, maybe they haven't sold as well as well all would have hoped, but "unjustly ignored" and "forgotten gems?" Prince of Persia and Shadow of the Colossus sold way better than any of their fans care to admit. They have both reached Greatest Hits status and continue to sell to this day, be it new or used. Okami has JUST been re-released on the Wii. Final Fantasy Tactics? Final Fantasy ANYTHING does not belong on this list. The freakin' ORANGE BOX?? "The cake is a lie" is probably the most dominant "secret handshake" of the gaming community since... well, EVER.

Next, you'll mention Pac-Man... lol
Beat me to it. As much as I like Orange Box, it is definitely not an ignored game by any means.

I would personally put in X-Wing Alliance. Was the last of the great Sci-Fi space-sims.

Nifefiend

Apr 16, 2008
oo yea good call ground control
and renegade deffinetly amazing game

others

tropico (not the pirate one the first one)
theme hopsital (dunno if this was ignored wasnt into games enough at the time)

ilves7

Dec 7, 2007
Hm... this topic is a bit tough to categorize, because there are really very few games that the 'masses' (ie, the casual uninformed gamers) really latch on. Mostly these are the GTA's, Halos, and EA sports games. A couple of the games on this list already I wouldn't personally call overlooked because I've always, since the time they came out, heard great things about them as well as knowing many people who have it and play them. Granted, this is mostly from people who play and know games, but if we're mentioning every game that hasn't had awesomely great commercial success, this game is going to have nearly every good game every made on it.

Anyway, I don't really agree with Descent, Planescape: Torment, System Shock 2, or Tie Fighter being on this list. Those games are definitely considered some of the holy grails of gaming even if they aren't really massive commercial wins, and they definitely are not currently forgotten or overlooked IMO.

jammers

Mar 25, 2008
Fully agree with Ogrebattle 64. I think they need to re-release it on virtual console since its so hard to find copies of ti anywhere and it is one of my all time favourite games.

IactoSophos

Apr 3, 2008
I would definitely vote Dark Messiah. It's got a decent enough storyline for you to get immersed, and beautiful graphics, especially for an early source game. It still impresses me the level of detail that it gives. What really makes it shine however, is the combat. I have never played a fantasy game with such good first person combat. It strays away from the 'spam click until they die' games and strays more towards 'wait until your enemy gives you an opening to strike your sword'. And that's only if you use swords, you get daggers, spells, bows. Definitely a game I would recommend to anyone that thought the combat in oblivion was rubbish or anyone who loves fantasy. Brilliant twist as well, about half way through...

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
Rocky Rodent for the SNES
A delightful little game where you have to save the daughter of the owner of your favorite restaurant from the mob. You use your own hair, with hairspray, as a variety of weapons.

Seaman for the Dreamcast
The only game I'm aware of that tries to convince the player it is real through existential arguments. Whenever I hear a person say that they believe games will never become art I point towards this game.

Rez for the PS2
I concede that this one is arguable since it is being re-released on LIVE. Plus I saw it being played at Burning Man right after Dance Dance Immolation.

I hope echochrome never belongs on this list. I want to see more games like it.

Prof. Awesome

Apr 17, 2008
Does anyone remember these games and how spectacular they were for Sega?

Streets of Rage 1 and 2
- Who knew fighting in roller blades was so easy?

B.O.B
- awesome to the max

Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
- spooooooky

Smash T.V.
- it was pretty good, but not great.

General Chaos
- probably one of my favorite games of all time.

Mutant League Football
- full of mutant football players

Zombies Ate My Neighbors
- again, awesome.

Revolution X
- totally lame. Shooting CD's at a helicopter doesn't make it explode. CD's do not work that way.

Barkley Shut Up and Jam!
- It's Charles Barkely.

I don't think those games get the respect that they deserve.

Feb 13, 2008
Jagged Alliance 1 and 2.
No-one Lives Forever 1 and 2.
War of the Worlds.
Freedom Force 1 and 2.
MDK 1 and 2.
The whole Railroad Tycoon series.

ALL PC titles.

Zombie Ate My Neighbours and Rock and Roll Racing for the SNES kicked ass as well.

Zoidberg

Feb 20, 2008
I don't see the game Sniper Elite on the list. The game is really great if you're in to the game where you sneak around and kill people in a distance. On the hardest difficulty you have to take wind, the fall of the bullet and the speed of the bullet into account when you're shooting someone.
It's great!

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Yeah Barkley Shut Up and Jam AND Zombies Ate My Neighbors. Both were childhood staples for me. Theres a 360 game that basically IS ZAMN made 3d with vehicles, and it homages it briefly in a cutscene.

Warlords Battlecry III (I think III) and Battle Realms are greatly underrated. Warlords has so many factions, interesting resource gathering, and heroes that are persistent, level up along a skill tree, as well as have a class and race, with differences in classes between races. Battle Realms looks simple on the surface, but you can find a lot of subtlety as you look very close. The only problem with it is how they didn't bother to tell you anywhere in the game how different units are weak or strong against certain other attacks, or how each unit has a passive ability that changes how you can implement them. Once we found out about that, Battle Realms became one of my all time favorite RTS'.

Ill bet this is going to have a ton of games that the poster loves and clings to that a huge number of other people think are terrible.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Im very upset with myself, as I forgot to mention Project: Nomads. Basically, you are on a giant, floating island, sailing around being powered by a futuristic windmill (Think the Gorrilaz "Feel Good Inc" Video, but more steampunk feel). You fight other people on there islands buy sailing around and getting artifacts that let you build more powerful guns and power stations. Definately a Gem worth rediscovering.