The Unlockables Debate

Feb 13, 2008
Unlockables are nice if they're non-essential.

If they're essential then your playing a MMORPURGER.

That... doesn't make sense. He doesn't want them to be small, and not large either.
Makes perfect sense. If you've spent the time unlocking something, you'd like it to be worth it; but you don't want to HAVE to spend loads of time to unlock something that's paraded in front of you from the start.

Knightcrawler

May 8, 2008
I can guarantee you he - or you - would have made the same complaint if MegaMan was unlockable. "He's such a big character that you shouldn't have to unlock him!" he/you'd say, "And the fact that they hide that he's in the game just makes it impossible to even know he's there to try to unlock!" Face it, no matter who was in the game as an unlockable and how they were revealed, he/you'd find some way to complain.

Joubert

May 8, 2008
It makes sense to make a character unlockable if they are a hard character to use. Characters that require finesse to play effectively seem like the perfect down-the-road unlockables, since they become available at about the time that the player attains the necessary skill to use them well.

I think unlockables are great, they do make me feel like I've accomplished something. Yet they can be counterproductive if the "overjustification effect" kicks in, a principle of psychology in which someone no longer participates in an activity for the happy joy feelings they get, instead it becomes more of a job. and they become consumed by the unlockables...

So, yeah. As long as that thing doesn't happen.

If you want to know addiction, try the unlockables in Orochi Warriors.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I like unlockables if they're just bonus content, like new challenge modes or cosmetic bits for character models or extra soundtracks or precious, precious gamerpoints.

I don't like making unlockables necessary to complete the game, or unlockables that give gameplay advantages to other players in multiplayer games.

And I view the opinions "everything should be unlocked" and "games are too easy these days" to be mutually exclusive. If you hold to both, hang your head in shame; if games aren't challenging enough but you're not up to the challenge of playing well enough to unlock content... you do the math.

-- Steve

PS: that's not to say that unlockables can't be done poorly... griping about that in a game is a whole different kettle of fish from complaining about unlockables as a whole.

MRMIdAS2k

Apr 23, 2008
Give us stuff to unlock in single player, but leave local multiplayer fully unlocked.

Online multiplayer should have it's own lot of unlocks, that you have to get ONLINE ONLY.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
Unlockables, yes, lots of them. Gives me more fancy toys that I can't get bored of early in because they aren't available then.
Not overpowered toys, but different ones.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i think we really need to define the difference between unlockables and new skills or better weapons based on said new skills. they are different things

when you play ANY rpg, both on and offline, you get better weapons and skills as time goes on. gl trying to kill a 10k hp monster with a weapon that does 10 hp dmg per hit. lvl'n up and getting new skills is part of the game

unlockables such as "kill X amount of enemies" and you can get a new weapon or new char is a totally different entity

the first one is ok, the second is REALLY annoying in multiplayer, single player it's fine but multiplayer it's annoying cause you gotta spend 7182490317298401723948 hours doing single player to get it unlocked. tho if it's in muliplayer you can usually get your buddies to concede defeat in the name of unlockables but being forced to do it in single player is annoying

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
Well I think that complaining about unlockables is very silly, as a matter of fact I find it kind of pointless. Actually, the first time I ever heard anybody complain about unlockables was Yahtzee in his SSBB review (and I've been gaming for quite a while). To complain about unlockable content is kind of pushing it, like looking for flaws in the wrong place.

ResidentEman

May 7, 2008
Unlockables that are reasonably unlockable, and don't take a ton of time to get are fine. But yeah, multiplayer should get it all.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Unlockables are fine in singleplayer.

Unlockables are the most goddamn annoying thing in multiplayer. "Oh whats that? I died even though the other player has less skill then me? Gee, thanks unlockables!"

So long as the unlockables are say, small things that don't affect gameplay, I'm fine with them. But when you have someone else running around with a great unlocked gun while I'm stuck with a newbie weapon because I just started playing, then that shit is retarded.

propertyofcobra said:
So the bullshit reason "I don't have the time" (Strangely, he exact same one used by developers to excuse ever-shorter games, nowadays for some reason a short game is a badge of freaking honor for reviewers, who complain if a game is so long that you can actually enjoy it for over six hours!) holds no sway over me.
I know! It's such bullshit that other people actually have a life and don't spend every waking moment playing video games. Unless you are willing to devote your life to video games, you shouldn't have fun.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
laikenf said:
Well I think that complaining about unlockables is very silly, as a matter of fact I find it kind of pointless. Actually, the first time I ever heard anybody complain about unlockables was Yahtzee in his SSBB review (and I've been gaming for quite a while). To complain about unlockable content is kind of pushing it, like looking for flaws in the wrong place.
Explain your point because I don't see how criticizing a game for having used "unlockables" in a bad way is 'looking for flaws in the wrong place'.

Girlysprite

Nov 9, 2007
You don't want to work for anything? That's a pretty immature attitude, don't you think?
No of course I don't want to work! I want to play damnit. If I want to work, I'll make more hours on my job!

Really, why do I have to work in a game?

Unlockables should be non essential and multiplayer should have it all from the start. If I buy a party game, I want to use it as a damn party game. Achievements are perfect unlockables for example, but any other little stuff will do as well.

I have been annoyed by some unlockables for years. I couldn't play certain characters or levels with others because I didn't have the skill to unlock the,. That kinda sucked.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I'm guessing none of you have seen Yahtzee's 'Wario: Smooth Moves' unlockables (drinking) game? Check it out on fullyramblomatic.com ... I think he was joking, but it does actually sound like fun!

OriginalUsername

May 8, 2008
I think there should be enough unlocked content in the first place to make the game at least worth playing with friends. The unlocked content should be a bonus, not the parts that make the game worth playing. Like yahtzee said for example, all the big characters like Sonic and Snake should be available from the start of Brawl, and the characters less people are bothered about should be unlockable.