The use of the term 'Gamer'

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
Now i, like i imagine many others here at the escapist, see videogames as a natural part of my life when it comes to entertainment, in addition to watching films/TV, and reading novels.
However i've noticed for a long time that people still use the term 'Gamer' for someone that plays any amount of videogames, and i've been wondering why that is so.

I mean, games have arguably become more mainstream when compared to their pixellated ancestors of the 80's. No more are they to be found in dimly-lit arcades and the bedrooms of 12 year old boys, they can now be found in the living rooms of literally millions of families.
My question is, if they have finally come into the mainstream, why does the term 'Gamer' still insist on being used when referring to someone who plays games, or even as a way to define yourself?
I mean you don't get people saying that they're 'Readers' or see a report on Fox news saying that a 13-year old 'Watcher' killed his family after viewing 'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre', why is it that people still need to indentify people who play games as something almost seperate from other entertainment forms?

Does anyone out there refer to themselves as Gamers when speaking to their friends, and if so, why do you feel the need?

Aunel

May 9, 2008
they fear us.

although I also get branded a "bassist" by people,
saying that bassists are stupid, and don't pay attention.
[small] or something like that [/small]

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Well I don't know... if you play games, then technically you would be considered a gamer by many but I wouldn't call someone's mom who plays Bejeweled occasionally a "gamer". It's taken on a different definition. I mean, I like to read some books every once in a while but I wouldn't really call myself a "reader".

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
No, I never refer to myself as a gamer(and if I have it must of slipped because I don't remember). Nearly every boy at my school game and since MW2 girls have been playing that.

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
Now that I think about it I guess it is kind of weird... I read a lot of books more then I play games but I don't call myself a reader. I guess because gaming is quite a social activity and so I know lots of people who share the same hobby.

achilleas.k

Apr 11, 2009
The simple reason is that the first generation that was born into the early gaming period is just now grabbing the reins of society and media. In my opinion, the term will become obsolete when the current 10-15 year olds turn 30-40. Currently, a 30 year old news reporter grew up in a time where gaming was something kids did (mostly) and, in fact, a very specific kind of kid... the nerd! The current 40-60 year old politician grew up in a time before games were invented and probably had kids around the time when games showed up and everyone was seeing it as the absolute worst pass-time for a child (TV makes you blind. You should go out and play. Yadda yadda yadda).

Games will truly be mainstream and the term will disappear when the people who view it as a mainstream pass-time (that would be people who grew up in a time where gaming had already become mainstream) are the ones reporting/making the news and all that.

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
I think the definition of the word "Gamer" has changed just as much as the culture has over the years anyway. The old paradigm, the dimly lit arcades, or the middle age men who live in their parents basement, or the obsessive fanboys of any particular series, whilst still existing (Arcades less so sadly) have been forced to also include the casually avid "gamer", the consumer who not only enjoys playing games, but take interest in the news and culture that surrounds them, and because that news and culture and evolved and expanded as well, it's more readily available to a wider audience, and in turn has created more "Gamers"

The days of the word "Gamer" being a negative connotation are almost gone. In my group of friends, I'm the "Gamer" the one who is not only the most interested in the past-time, but the most knowledgeable, and the one everyone comes to when they have a question about X platform, or Y new game coming out...I've embraced it I suppose.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
I'm a gamer, and proud. Even though i game less and less everyday.

I know people who play games a lot more than me. Yet I am the gamer. Maybe it's because I started gaming earlier on so it has stuck with me.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Gamer has evolved.

Now it's not some frat boy that plays gears of war (or halo, or really any one uber popular game that isn't very "awesome").

No, I call people gamers who play games on a semi regular basis, read gaming magazines, own more then one console (with exception to PC guys.) and don't suck horrible. Like I mean 0-9999999999 in a game.

Viridian13

Oct 4, 2009
I think it's because non-Gamers started using our fucking lingo. Gamer used to refer to RPG players or "war" game players (God, I miss the late 80's). Anyway, these non-Gamers started getting into gaming, because it was widening into a mainstream. Now, we have Hardcore Gamers and Casual Gamers. Hardcore are the true gamers, because their relationship with video games is serious. Even if a guy only owns one PC game; if he plays it online, and kicks everybody's ass because he honed his fucking skills, he's a H-gamer. Casual Gamers are people who play video games for the purpose of playing a game.

The true distinction, I believe, is this:
Casual Gamers "play".
Hardcore Gamers "game".

I think that's a fair distinction.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
No, in fact 90% of the people I know think I don't play video games.

One girl was surprised I knew what Halo was.

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
It's because "Videogame Player" is too long, and "Player" is already taken.

"Gamer" is near iconic, because it is strongly attached to the notion that a "game" means videogame. This is only so due to the increasing popularity and noteriety video games have received over the past decade. It's not your fault, it's the politicians.

And I call myself a person.

Acier

Nov 5, 2009
Pimppeter2 said:
No, in fact 90% of the people I know think I don't play video games.

One girl was surprised I knew what Halo was.
This. Although it may be overblown in my case sense I'm a girl.
I remember one time I was at a party, and these guys were obviously talking about TF2, to politely insert myself into the conversation I asked "hey what are you guys talking about" they were incredibly rude and said "Oh, nothing you would know about."
I promptly said "Oh weird, it sounded like you were talking about Team Fortress." They immediately changed their tone, but I was too pissed and I went to another group of friend s and talked about Battle Royale instead.

Then a kid broke his arm. That was fun.

Refocus: I don't identify myself as a gamer or hang out with them, so I rarely use the term

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I guess its just the way the medium has grown up - unlike media such as film, books, art, etc, gaming was initially considered rather kiddish, things that are looked down upon, while films and books and whatnot never were, at least in the mainstream. So because of this history we've kinda brought along some of that rugged looked-down-upon past, even as gaming has evolved into something so, so much more.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I think it's about establishing an identity. Which is why you get many among the gaming community arguing over what it means to be a "real" gamer.

inpachi

Apr 17, 2009
Its all about opinion.. A gamer in my opinion is anyone who truly has fun with games.. Now a professional gamer is anyone who gets paid or is good enough to get paid to play games.. Now i consider a mom who plays bejeweled and Sodoku on the DS or something a gamer.. Because she has fun with games.. People who dont enjoy games and just get angry and try to prove what game is better what console is better than others and such aren't gamers.. There just angry people that need to get a life.. GAMES ARE MEANT TO HAVE FUN!!! SO HAVE FUN DAMN IT!