The value of a human life.

novixz

Feb 7, 2011
As anybody who took an economic class will tell you, the more of a product you have, the less expensive it becomes. So with the human population growing, would it be more acceptable to kill another human? Or am I just morbid? Anyway, I just think it's weird, what value does the life of another person have to you?

Captcha: Iveryta Tumors (should this worry me)

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
HUman life, like many things, is worth about three fiddy.

But seriously, keep offering money and eventually everyone breaks their morals. I'd kill someone for the right amount if I knew I could get away with it with the money. there's a guy I'd... well... no, nevermind.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
It's like that story, later a film, where you get lots of money to press a button that kills somebody you don't know.

I'd be hammering away at that button like I'd drank 299 cups of coffee.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I don't value many human lives above animal lives. Family/friends/pets first then any strangers and unknown animals are in the same category. In fact most animals are better "people" then a lot of humans I know.

the spud

May 2, 2011
A nice, clean, only slightly used soul will run you about $24.99 at my local pawn shop. So yeah, about $25 (plus tax and S/H if you get one by mail order).

But to me, you come into this world worthless. It is then you decide whether or not you want to make yourself valuable or if you want to go into soul debt.

Megnaman

Sep 10, 2011
George Carlin does this great bit on the sanctity in his Your All Diseased special. Look him up.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
emeraldrafael said:
Hey...hey wait a minute. You ain't no forum poster, you look to me more like a giant crustacean from the Paleozoic era...wait a minute, you that god damn loch ness monsta! I don told you I ain't got no tree fiddy to give to you!!

kingpocky

Jan 21, 2009
from one economic point of view, you can calculate the value of a human life by finding out how much people are willing to pay for something that will make them safer, and how likely the safety feature is to save their life. I don't remember the exact number, but i think people tend to value their lives at around 1-5 million dollars.

Also, SMBC did a strip on this recently

rockhard556

May 6, 2009
i hear kidneys sell for alot on the black market somtimes hundreds of dollars but for the sake of this experiment lets go with 100$ so thas 200$ for kidneys then theres the lungs which i'm not sure that they can be transplanted but lets go with yes just for this they're probably 50$ a piece so 300$ so far then the heart i assume to be the last peice people would want and theres only 1 a person and i guess it would be about 200$ so 500$ and soylent green would probably buy up the rest for 50$ so i'd say around 550$ each give or take if there are any more valuble organs. But if you mean from a philosophical standpoint then i think that its very little most people are cruel and mean (sometimes including me) so i think i could probably kill someone for enough money

NezumiiroKitsune

Mar 29, 2008
To me, human life is incredible potential, and that potential is worth more than anything else. The ideas and aspirations are what define a person, rather than the processes of life, and those are, in a fragile, transient and futile universe, in which the meaning of existence is likely simply without, those neurons firing pulses across to protein bound cerebral matter, the single most precious glimmer in an endless predictable infinity of boundless entropy.

All human life is uniquely precious, regardless of how much there appears to be; simply due to it's ineffably unlikely occurrence and it's ability to reverse the decay of the universe, entropy.

Additionally, sentience itself has value in that is can ascribe value and importance, to events, objects, and other life. In this, the likes of elephants, dolphins and primates, are eminently worth protecting.

So yes, great; more-so than any financial value.

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
Trippy Turtle said:
I don't value many human lives above animal lives. Family/friends/pets first then any strangers and unknown animals are in the same category. In fact most animals are better "people" then a lot of humans I know.
That is incredibly selfish and narrow minded. Just because you can't see or interact with other people you feel nothing for them, assume they have no value to anyone else.

Personally, no amount of money would ever get me to take someones life, with the exception of those who are a detriment to our species as a whole, or are just plain monsters wearing human skin. Like all dictators ever, or serial child rapists.

Fact of the matter is money is just a means to an end, the dollar holds as much value as you think it has. I don't want a one dollar bill, what I want is a candy bar, the only reason I carry a dollar is to GET the candy bar.

I generally like people. They can be dicks a lot, but more often than not they are reasonable creatures. I don't like money though, it's filthy, takes up space in my wallet, and I only ever use it grudgingly because nobody else will accept any form of trade or currency. If you offer me money in exchange for the lives of people, then I go with people.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
KeyMaster45 said:
emeraldrafael said:
Hey...hey wait a minute. You ain't no forum poster, you look to me more like a giant crustacean from the Paleozoic era...wait a minute, you that god damn loch ness monsta! I don told you I ain't got no tree fiddy to give to you!!
Yeah, and guess what!

Captain Schpack said:
Exaclty $3.47. I asked a guy.
theres more then one of us! Though this one seems to be in the mood to make a deal. But I will (EDIT: its been a long day) Sell top grade human life.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Syzygy23 said:
Trippy Turtle said:
That is incredibly selfish and narrow minded. Just because you can't see or interact with other people you feel nothing for them, assume they have no value to anyone else.

Personally, no amount of money would ever get me to take someones life, with the exception of those who are a detriment to our species as a whole, or are just plain monsters wearing human skin. Like all dictators ever, or serial child rapists.

Fact of the matter is money is just a means to an end, the dollar holds as much value as you think it has. I don't want a one dollar bill, what I want is a candy bar, the only reason I carry a dollar is to GET the candy bar.

I generally like people. They can be dicks a lot, but more often than not they are reasonable creatures. I don't like money though, it's filthy, takes up space in my wallet, and I only ever use it grudgingly because nobody else will accept any form of trade or currency. If you offer me money in exchange for the lives of people, then I go with people.
I never said I thought they had no value. Why should an animal die when 9 times out of 10 they kinder beings then humans. I would not kill someone for money but if I had to choose it would be a tough choice between a stranger and an animal. Why should I pick the human? Did he do anything to deserve life over the animal?

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
Do you mean philisphoically or literally?

Philisophically, not much. I have a lot of people I would miss if they died, but there are 10x that number that I couldn't give a damn about. In fact, if I could own slaves, a good protion of my class would be my servants and be brutally tormented. Even typing this I'm thinking of those stupid bitches in my school that like to tough and are only a foot taller when they wear heels. In fact, for the right amount of money, I would probally kill someone like many of the other people on here. I'm evil like that.

Literally, a hell of a lot. The human kidney that's healthy gets about $200 to $300 dollars on the black market. Add the lungs, if you can transplant lungs, heart, and any other organ that's healthy and you have around $1000 for your standard healthy human. Why do you think drug cartels sell people? Sex sells but the body is even more.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
That's an interesting question OP. Certainly, as the human population grows it seems that human lives are worth less. However, I do not think that the actual value changes.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Human life is worth nothing beyond what the specific other humans in question mean to you.