The Videogame Capital of the World

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The Videogame Capital of the World

Ottumwa, Iowa isn't known for much aside from being the birthplace of Tom Arnold, but as of yesterday, it's now the Videogame Capital of the World.

Sorry, Tokyo. You too, San Francisco. You could have gotten to it first, but Ottumwa, Iowa has beaten you to the punch. It's now, at least according to its own official self-declaration, the "Videogame Capital of the World [http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090430/NEWS02/904300366/-1/SPORTS12]." The town, best known for being the birthplace of comedian Tom Arnold, is home to 26,000 residents, and, in the future, a videogame hall of fame.

"We have produced some great folks like Tom Arnold, but the more we can do to brand our community and bring in visitors who will spend money here, the greater of a place it will be," Terry McNitt, the head of the Ottumwa Area Chamber of Commerce, said.

Ottumwa isn't entirely without any claims to videogame fame. It is, after all, where infamous classic games record holder Billy Mitchell set his original Donkey Kong world record in 1982. Mitchell himself is backing the endeavor by donating the arcade cabinet he set that record on to the city, possibly in hopes that they'll reward his generosity by erecting a giant statue of him in their town square.

Fellow King of Kong star Walter Day, who owns Twin Galaxies [http://www.twingalaxies.com/], an authoritative scorekeeping organization for games, is also pitching in by helping out with the planning of the Hall of Fame building. Day says it'll be showcase of games classic and modern, from old Pac-Man cabinets to current gen titles like Dead Space.

"You would be able to go for world records," Day said. "This will become a very, very big vacation destination."

If it doesn't, well, there's always Tom Arnold.

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
Still very much no on this. One of the actual video game towns needs to proclaim themselves as such and knock the legs out of this little sham.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
...this is like that Eddie Izzard sketch with flags.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djMFKYTrckA

"We're the video capital of the world!"
"...No, wait a second. Hold on. Why is that?"
"Because I said so!"

cjbos81

Apr 8, 2009
Ottumwa is also the home of fictional T.V. character Walter "Radar" O'Reilly.

Hithlain

Keeper of Ying
Nov 25, 2008
no. Just no. They hope that they can become the video game capital of the world by naming it that? Oh god...

Fuhjem

Jan 17, 2009
Shit, I better start packing my bags. Time to move to Ottumwa, Iowa

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
I'm sorry but what the heck is this even about? First off the town has no solid gaming background aside from one famous gamer. Yeah okay.

http://www.gamesmontreal.com/blog/links/

There are much better candidates for the capitol of the video game world and these twits are not one of them. Besides who cares about things like this?

_Nocturnal

Nov 4, 2006
But you'd be able to go for world records! Don't you get it, people?
They have covered the basics. They have what's important.
Everything else is just details.

CymTyr

Mar 22, 2009
This article made me realize that any town can declare themselves the capital of anything, as long as it hasn't already been declared.

Kinda sad, imho. They should have just stuck with Tom Arnold.

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
They had no choice in the matter, really. After all, what town wants to be known as "The Birthplace of Tom Arnold". I'd say my town did anything instead of being the birthplace of Tom Arnold.

mykalwane

Oct 18, 2008
CymTyr said:
This article made me realize that any town can declare themselves the capital of anything, as long as it hasn't already been declared.

Kinda sad, imho. They should have just stuck with Tom Arnold.
True, I bet many of us wouldn't of even known of the town if it wasn't for them claiming it.