The Walking Dead Certified for Australia

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
The Walking Dead Certified for Australia

You must be 15 or older to kill zombies.

As if the triple threat of poisonous spiders, poisonous snakes and poisonous beer wasn't enough, Australians will now have to deal with a new deadly predator, the undead. As Telltale told IGN earlier today, The Walking Dead has been classified for release and should be available to download on PSN and XBLA "very soon." The PC version has been available on Steam, the iOS app store and Telltale's own store since launch.

So what if you want to buy an actual meat-space copy from one of the game stores dotted around the scorching hellscape Australians call home? Telltale will announce a retail release date in the coming weeks.

Telltale was apparently waiting for the introduction of Australia's long-overdue R18+ classification to submit the game for review. Yet despite its violent, often disturbing, content, The Walking Dead has managed to scrape by with an MA 15+ rating. According to the Australian classification board, the game's theme and depiction of violence fall into the "strong impact" category, while its handling of drug use and sex has only a "mild impact." Oddly enough, the game's "language" classification is recorded as "none." Censorship probably isn't on the cards. The game's "version" is recorded as original, so the language rating is likely an error rather than an indication that Australian gamers will encounter a lot of "fudging zombies."

Source: The Australian Classification Board [http://www.classification.gov.au/Pages/View.aspx?sid=QJahj8lj3s%2bjP6DWsL4hSA%253d%253d&ncdctx=mh8vbgD796YJ2RWSuMNIdC5p70A4%2bDxf9caygAPgGvhqawLmVA0tWHsHBG9lWpXU]

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I'm not surprised it got in with an MA rating. Games with a lot more graphic violence have been given that rating here. Then again Left 4 Dead was censored so I guess our ratings board is just inconsistent.

Huh, I don't remember any sex or drugs in the game. I wonder what that is referring to. And you'd think they'd have noticed the swearing. Maybe they don't bother to play the games and just use a random number generator. Actually that would make a lot of sense...

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Oddly enough, the game's "language" classification is recorded as "none."
Ah Australia, where "fuck" doesn't even register as a swear.

I felt a small pang of patriotism reading that line.

Lizardon said:
Huh, I don't remember any sex or drugs in the game
That babysitter at the start of the game got pretty handsy.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
We all know it's only a matter of time when the actual Zombie apocalypse will start.
Surely Australia, the country where every living thing already wants you dead, will not be spared that fate.

So it's only justified that they are allowed to train themselves.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I do believe that only the elements that defined the higher rating are the ones that get mentioned. So if the language would be an M rating, but the violence is an MA15+ rating, it'll mention the violence, but not the language. The PG releases of The Simpsons on DVD get buy on mild violence and sexual references and all that good stuff, but the one release that was rated M down here (one of the members of U2 says "fuck" in a deleted scene) only cited Incidental Coarse Language.

That and, well, they aren't as comprehensive as the ESRB or PEGI.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Oh I'm sorry but I already got it off Steam and completed the bloody good game.
I feel sorry for the guys who will have to wait to buy it on console. D:

Least we have a R18+ now. :p

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Funny thing is that the TV show is really quite popular here. I wouldn't be surprised if it slid through with little friction simply because a lot of folk on the classification board were already fans of The Walking Dead.

But yeah, I bought this off Steam just a few weeks ago and have made it through the first three chapters so this is a surprise to hear. I have to say, I wasn't a fan of the show. It was too grey and the main character was annoying but I'm loving this game to bits.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
I guess this is sort of proof that the R18 rating isn't going to be abused for rather mundane content that would otherwise have gotten MA under the old system.

Count me as cautiously optimistic that we have achieved what we were looking for.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Grey Carter said:
Saw something on this on another site, somewhere. They suggested that maybe the parts they submitted didn't contain any of the swearing.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
Grey Carter said:
Saw something on this on another site, somewhere. They suggested that maybe the parts they submitted didn't contain any of the swearing.
I'd say its to do with context, its not used for the sake of it, just when its appropriate and thus people don't notice it. Then again a lot of aussies would make a British sailor look conservative

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
I didn't even realise it wasn't available for retail. I just get most of my games through steam these days.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
RicoADF said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Grey Carter said:
I'd say its to do with context, its not used for the sake of it, just when its appropriate and thus people don't notice it. Then again a lot of aussies would make a British sailor look conservative
That's not how the ratings board looks at it. If there's swearing, regardless of whether or not it's justified swearing, they put it on the box.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Australia has become pretty infamous for their strict gaming laws, with violence being of particular concern for them. So at the very least it's good that they're becoming a bit more relaxed about this, if only because it'll allow them to experience such a high-quality game.

Besides, outright banning stuff has never been a good thing, as history has shown us. People just become that much more eager to get what they want through underhanded measn as a result.