The Walking Dead "Coda": Finally, The Show Lives Up To Its Own Hype

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014

The mid-season finale ends with a serious HFS heartbreak that we're going to spoil in the first paragraph. Read at your own risk.

Read Full Article

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Shame that the shows official Facebook page spoiled the major death in the episode before the show had even finished airing in the US. I in the UK woke up in the morning and scrolled down Facebook whilst I ate breakfast and was spoiled to the big event by the shows official Facebook. I haven't watched the episode yet and I don't think I want to ever again given the plot point was so utterly ruined by contemptous social media managers. Big mistake by AMC there.

JSRevenge

Sep 23, 2014
RossaLincoln said:

The mid-season finale ends with a serious HFS heartbreak that we're going to spoil in the first paragraph. Read at your own risk.

Read Full Article
I'm surprised you didn't mention Morgan.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
The look on Daryl's face after Beth died... I damn near cried. And Maggie! Jeez how much loss can one person take? Cut her some slack show writers

ineedscissors

Oct 24, 2009
A few things:
1) Hanson was the name of Dawn's mentor cop that she murdered, not the name of the cop who tried to rape Beth (that officer's name was Gorman).
2) I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure that it was Daryl that Carol talked out of slaughtering the remaining Grady officers, not Rick.
3) You should go back and re-watch the episode, there is a post-credits scene involving Morgan.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
I'm surprised you didn't mention Morgan.
3) You should go back and re-watch the episode, there is a post-credits scene involving Morgan.
Which while interesting to a degree doesn't actually show anything really worth commenting on. We already knew he was tracking them, either by accident or on purpose, though the final shot and his reaction to the map suggests accident. This scene didn't really expand on the final scene we saw at the end of the first episode. Certainly not to the degree that it was worth commenting on especially given the events of the episode itself.

I do however disagree with the Beth going out on her terms. Yes the scene was truly heart breaking but it was a stupid stupid thing she did. What was the best out come, well what happened was the best outcome she got killed and the cop got killed, worse outcome they ended up in an all out fire fight and they all get killed or heavily injured.

If they had wanted Noah that bad I am sure they could have fallen back and come up with something, they already out numbered and out gunned them and that was before you threw in Maggie, Glen and the Army save the world crew, Carl and Michonne and they would have had inside knowledge from Beth herself.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
That was a good episode. I am glad death happens and is meaningful. That is why I like this show and not SOA.

mruuh

Jun 29, 2012
Laughing Man said:
I do however disagree with the Beth going out on her terms. Yes the scene was truly heart breaking but it was a stupid stupid thing she did. What was the best out come, well what happened was the best outcome she got killed and the cop got killed, worse outcome they ended up in an all out fire fight and they all get killed or heavily injured.

If they had wanted Noah that bad I am sure they could have fallen back and come up with something, they already out numbered and out gunned them and that was before you threw in Maggie, Glen and the Army save the world crew, Carl and Michonne and they would have had inside knowledge from Beth herself.
Finally someone. All the opinions I read on various forums keep on repeating how Beth went out bravely, meaningfully, "on her own terms". What she did was stupid, like an action of a 8-years old who doesn't know/care about consequences and about people around her. While I loved her character and the arc it took since it was introduced, her death has ruined the character for me.

Seeing Daryl whimper was almost worth it, though - not because I like to see Daryl suffer, but because how good an actor Norman Reedus is.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Man that was dumb. The church stuff was all really boring and pointless. I guess Gabriel needed to make sure that the cannibals really were bad, but it ate up time that should have been spent elsewhere.

The only reason Beth's death was surprising was because of how stupid it was. She stabs her in the shoulder?! What the fuck did she think was going to happen? I get that they wanted the death to be a shock, but they did it in the most contrived way possible. It made all of the character development with her and Dawn seem really pointless. It's almost like they weren't sure what to do with their story-line so they just killed them both.

Also, what was the point of Bob? If they were just going to have him get killed off immediately with zero repercussion on the exchange, why even have him as a character? All he did was needlessly eat up screen time. Was the entire point of his character just to show that the black girl (can't remember her name right now) was really in an emotionally vulnerable state? No shit. She'd just lost her boyfriend.

So much pointless filler that never went anywhere.

Anyway, apart from the pointless filler and the mindbogglingly stupid death (seriously, I think it was dumber than Andrea's death), it was a fairly decent episode with a good amount of tension building.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Hell yes!
The ending turned this from a great episode into a fan-freaking-TASTIC one!!! :D :D :D

Beth... that had real meaning, shock value and impact.
Even the beginning was great, as it was easy for the show to once again devolve into stupid choices about Hydra.
I'd have run him over too, but maybe a little less hard.
Turns out it was a blessing to break or bruise his spine (pretty sure not his neck, which makes a big difference in terms of any chances of meaning zombie-killing recovery, i.e. "value" to the hospital.).

The Bandit

Feb 5, 2008
A critical piece of writing should not be a summary. This is the kind of writing mistake 5th graders make. Please stop.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
Laughing Man said:
Gotta agree with this. I don't think she really considered the situation, she just succumbed to extreme hatred in the moment. Best case scenario, Dawn and Beth both become enraged and, if they're really lucky, all the armed bystanders hold their fire long enough to defuse the situation while Noah still ends up staying. It's a miracle no shots got exchanged in the end.

My major gripe was the death itself. The fatal shot followed by an immediate "Oh, I didn't mean to!" just feels so forced. Cop or not, no one is that reflexive. Unless she was just so cocky she assumed Beth wouldn't retaliate, people on alert like that are less likely to launch into instinct mode since they're usually more aware of the situation and its consequences. It's like they just needed a way for Beth to get shot and an unlikely accident was the only way any character would logically do it.

EDIT: This just occurred to me too, that she seems to forget she has a sister, or maybe had just given up on seeing her again. With the chance to see a loved one after so many months being so close, most people would never take a risk like that knowing it could mean their reunion never happens.

El Comandante

Jul 31, 2013
Pointless death is pointless! She did not went out on her own terms, only if that was a suecide by police.
Yeah a good charakter indeed. But why not let her put in earplugs run on a road and get her run over by the only firetruck in this f***ing apocalyptic world.
It wasent even a serious wound that Beth caused, noting meaningful. She went out like everyone else, who trys to stab or beat an US-cop. Let her die, it´s fine, but not in a stupid way that is not even funny.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
No mention of the ripped out pages Gabriel found in the cannibals' bible? Was it mentioned in a previous episode or was it a bonus scene I watched?

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
The latter half of season four and everything of season five (thus far) has been WAY more interesting than most of the rest of the series and that kind of improvement this late in the game is a major surprise to me. I'm glad to see everything is evolving in a way to make the series better. It's just a shame how things had to end this time. Not that the ending was bad, but certainly depressing.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
DugMachine said:
And Maggie! Jeez how much loss can one person take? Cut her some slack show writers
As someone who's recently lost as much/more then her, I can say quite a bit. Unfortunately I cannot complain to my writers.

ShinobiJedi42

May 7, 2012
I don't understand any of the praise this season has gotten aside from the first three episodes, which were incredible. This has been the worst season and I doubt I'll pick it back up in February. There is absolutely no reason we should be five seasons into this show and still in Atlanta. The show has literally become a circular narrative with terribly cliched and shallow character development. I had no investment whatsoever in Beth, so her death was just boring and pointless. I've been a staunch defender of this show since the slow first half of season 2, but I've lost all of my faith in it at this point. So disappointing.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Am I alone in thinking that Rick crossed a serious line by killing an unarmed, incapacitated person who was just trying to escape captivity? I wonder if that was always going to happen or if Rick sized up the situation where he was likely paralyzed in that unforgiving landscape and considered it a mercy? Eh, sure didn't seem like that.

KaZuYa said:
FYI Beth went for the heart and missed, she meant to kill her.
For some reason it seems that all these characters don't understand the benefit of longer blades. Seriously, a pair of surgical scissors through a bullet proof vest? She'd have been better off with a blunt object to her head. Or, since she clearly has keys to everywhere, why not a gun from whatever armament they'd surely have on hand? Scalpel? Regular scissors like the one the girl used to cut her wrists? Anything else?

Nope, gotta use a short pair of scissors intended to cut small tissue to try and stab someone in the heart who has a gun and a significant vest or you've gotta use a pocketknife to kill a walker where distance is such a valuable commodity. *sigh*