The Walking Dead, season 2, what do you want to see?

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
I don't want season 2 focused around characters (or more specifically, Clem) of the first season.

It would ruin the closure that made the ending so perfect.

It should focus around a totally new group of survivors. And I think there should be a dog at some point. Because what's more tragic than losing your best friend during the zombie apocalypse?

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
-Well, making it more like an actual game might help.
-Not killing characters off before they get adequate character development. If they don't get adequate development, then why do I care?
-Get rid of the "illusion of choice"; make it actual choice. The game is going to play out the same way no matter what you say.
-The controls in shootings sections were terrible, FIX THEM!
-Don't keep the worst characters around the longest next time. Fucking Ben!
-A brian dead monkey could solve the puzzles in the game. Challenge me, don't waste my time!
-FIX THE DAMN FRAME RATE

I understand people liked the story between Lee and Clem, but I'd say just about every other piece of The Walking Dead needs a lot of work.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
No! No no no no no no no no no no no! NO!!!

No goddam sequels! Why the hell does everyone think that a sequel is necessary? Or even work without being forced, for that matter? At least no sequels with Clementine! Do you not understand the artistic meaning behind that ending?[footnote]Yes, I'm fully aware how much of an elitist douche I sound like right now, but hear me out on this one![/footnote] It was an open ending. Here, for those who haven't beaten the game but love spoilers for... some reason... I'm gonna post the ending scene:
Okay, so you can see Clem walking through the grass, alone most importantly. However, she's holding a gun! It's not clear if she still has any ammo left, but that's part of the point I'm going with. She sits down on a nearby log, clearly distraught over what had happened. Why isn't she with Omid and Christa like I had told her? Did something happen along the way and she got lost? Did she go to the train yard like I had told all three of them to meet up but they didn't survive? What happened? Something bad, that's all we can see from her expression and the way she carries herself.

But she still has that gun! Normally, out of fear, she may have just dropped it. But she kept it with her! I hate to get all symbolic here, but here I go: the gun represents maturity. Clem has grown enough to know that if she has to be alone she needs something to protect herself with. Since I had taught her how to use it, it's much more powerful since we, the player, had influenced her! We helped her! Our actions helped her grow enough to properly defend herself by her own. But did we do enough? That's where the part with the two figures in the distance comes in.

Now, we obviously don't know who these figures are. Maybe they're Omid and Christa! Maybe they're Vernon and one of the people who survived with him. Maybe they're Molly and a friend she met. Maybe they're completely different and random people who we've never met. Maybe they're walkers! Maybe they're safe. Maybe they're dangerous! We don't know, and that's what makes things even more tense but even more powerful. Clem is nervous about what to do. Does she stay where she is? Does she run away? Does that gun have enough ammo? Or even any ammo at all? Will she be okay if she calls for help or go to up to them? If she makes too much of a noise, she might attack more walkers, making her much more cautious. So what does she do? We don't find out. Cuts to black.

It leaves us asking questions! Questions like "What did she do?" or "Who were those figures?" and all that jazz. However, and I can say this with personal experience, it left me asking "Did I do well? Did I teach her enough for her to survive on her own? Did my actions affect Clem positively or negatively? What would have happened if I did NOT kill Larry in the meat locker? Or if I DID take those supplies from the minivan?" Seriously, let's say that hypothetically, if any of the actions I chose, opposite or not, they all still led up to that same exact scene. How would Clem be affected in all of that? It really makes the player ask if he or she thinks they made the right choices throughout the entire game. I know I've been racking up in my head if anything I did or didn't do hurt or helped Clem in the end. Hell, maybe it affected who those two figures were! But I won't know. I'll never know.

And I don't want to know! It's so much more powerful to me that I am still trying to reason with myself that everything that I did would help Clem in the end. I have my own personal feelings about how it ended and I know everyone else did too. If a sequel or a second season was made and Clem was included, it would absolutely ruin that ending, that power! Maybe an entirely new series set in the same universe, but without Clementine whatsoever, would work. But including Clem? No, that would just ruin it all...

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
I don't care about what they add to the Season 2 games. All I know is that there's something I absolutely DON'T want to see happening and that is seeing Clementine die (not just because she is by far the most lovable character in the entire game). After the way S1 ended and how they built up her character, actually killing her would be the most blatant tear-jerker in the history of the universe.

Lee's death worked because of our own position within the game. Clementine dying is just fishing for drama. I'm not going to lie and say that it isn't also because I grew very attached to Lee and Clem (Call me whatever you want, but that Episode 5 ending just completely killed me), but it really is the combination of both that would really make me dislike such a scene.

After the absolutely masterful build-up to Duck's death (The tone they created from the moment you saw him, unwinding in the soul-shattering scene you see in ep3), doing something like that would just be a huge nosedive in terms of quality.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
War Penguin said:
Dude... They already announced Season 2, hell even before Season 1 was over.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/07/the-walking-dead-season-2-insinuated-by-telltale/

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Korten12 said:
War Penguin said:
Dude... They already announced Season 2, hell even before Season 1 was over.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/07/the-walking-dead-season-2-insinuated-by-telltale/
... Well fuck. I look like an ass, now don't I.

Okay, a sequel might work... if the don't include Clementine! Like I said in a longwinded fashion, the fact that the game ended on an like an open ended one made it much more powerful!

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I think that it'd be awesome to play a totally different character in a different area. (MUST everything in the Walking Dead happen in georgia?)

Also, TELL US WHAT HAPPENED TO CLEM YOU ASSHOLES.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
War Penguin said:
I thought the ending changed though, some people get her with Omid and Christa or so I've been told anyway. I don't think it's a fixed ending.

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Lyri said:
War Penguin said:
I thought the ending changed though, some people get her with Omid and Christa or so I've been told anyway. I don't think it's a fixed ending.
Nope. I was curious if it was different, too, but I looked it up and it wasn't. The only thing that changes is if she's wearing that red hoodie.

Detroit

Dec 22, 2012
Gameplay issues, like the glitches and frame rate/freezing (man..). And certain things shouldn't be set in stone from the word go (like deaths). Also, I'm sad I didn't vote for a GOTY, just saw the badges here (Journey or TWD *sniff*). Aw shucks, gosh darn it to heck.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
I hope it will star a completely new character or if not, Omid and Christa. There's a lot about them that we don't know about and has ton of room to expand. I think Clem shouldn't be a main character and the whole point of playing Season 1 first is that it will impact how Clementine will act. Will she be a pragmatic survivalist (Such as if Lee were to essentially be Kenny's buddy the entire game, the situation with Larry and whatnot) or go out of her way to help others even at risk of her life. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Telltale made it that Goody Two shoes Clem is the one that dies.

I personally think the cast should include mostly new characters and Clem just happens to join their group. Possibly a return of Kenny as well, as his "death" was too damn ambiguous for a main character now I will explain why I think that. A guy on Youtube has been posting cut voice clips that are in the files. One of the cut voice clips is one of Kenny screaming as the zombies eat him. Strangely that's cut out, so Telltale must have something in mind regarding Kenny for season 2, or they might just be implying his never to be confirmed survival. Seriously, none of his "death" scenes show him dying and Kenny is my favorite character so I will hold on to hope that he's still around as even the final stats screen in Episode 5 refuses to list him as dead.

I bet Clem will stay alive as she's too good a character to kill off and it would be hard to write a good death scene that doesn't piss off the legions of fans the game has. I also hope that they won't repeat the previous season's loving relationship and instead try something different, but not too different. Really good TV shows have been ruined because the writers get too ballsy and take the story in a different direction. That's kinda why Clem should stay around to avoid making Season 2 too distant from Season 1.

teeth

Nov 22, 2009
Id rather see a new set of characters and half way though they cross paths with Clem, Christa and Omid for a couple of hours.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
I want the story to continue but the player takes control of Clem. The whole "Child in a horrifying world, being defenseless and relying on the ones around you" would be a good twist in the genre.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Ok, I came up with something I want to see again. I want the story to be a palindrome again. I don't know else noticed it, but the beginning of the game started with Lee limping along the side of the car and ended with him limping along the side of the jewelry counter. It proceeded to borrow more elements from the beginning where Lee and Clem had to smash a window, handle handcuffs, and take out a zombie police officer while prone. A palindrome might feel a little more cliche the second time around, but a similar device should be used.

Ok, maybe it's not a real palindrome, but maybe the theme of embarking on a journey through the same ordeal was what they were conveying.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
New setting and characters, but maybe a few sneaky references to the past :)

Maybe a short conversation with an older clem. It would be cool/ sad to see her become a hard ass. Maybe similar to lilly but not as mental.

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
The game did so well in part because it had very little connection to the original comic book barring some cameos, not that the comics were bad, but that story was already told well. I feel the best way to go would be a different group feeling some of the effects of the events set in motion by Lee and the group.

Examples:
The events leading to the desertion of Robins Air force base and the commissary food which Mark took to Lee's group
The formation of the Save Lots Bandits
The horde following the train and its effects on nearby survivors
The formation of Crawford and its fall
The reasons why Christa and Omid avoided groups prior to the train
The adventures of Chet/Officer Mitchell
etc.

Point being, as much as I like Clementine, taking control of her wouldn't feel right as it would be much harder to align the goals of the player with that of the protagonist, it needs to be someone who can be relatable enough that the player feel immersed yet defined enough to serve as an effective character on their own. The first season really focused on the fatherhood theme and the next needs to have a similar pervasive theme. I don't know which, but hopefully they can use some of this new sweet GOTY cash to really clean up the pipeline and QA some more and keep the hits going.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I find myself torn.

On the one hand I don't want them to try and recreate or surpass the awesomeness of the first season, particularly the Lee-Clem relationship. You shouldn't try to get lightning to strike twice. That way lies failure and stagnation. I'd like them to try something new instead.

On the other hand, I must know what happens to Clementine you miserable, rotten bastards!

I guess playing as a teenage Clem would satisfy both those requirements.

Nepenthe87

Apr 28, 2011
I want to see clem again, but I do not want the player and clem relationship in season two to be the same as the relationship between lee and clem in season 1.

I don't want to be another guy trying to protect her and teach her lessons about survival. She has already had that. what I want to see is a clem that has grown because of my choices in the first game. To me, Clem was one of the only characters in the game that you could truly influence, and I would really like to see the influences you made as Lee show up in clem's personality in season two. So if in Season 1 you taught her to be pragmatic and ruthless that is how she will act in season 2.

To me it would negate the decisions you made with clem as Lee if season 2 just makes you the next guy in line to teach this girl how to survive.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I'd like to see completely new characters in an entirely different setting. Sure, I'd like to know what happened to Clementine, but at the same time I don't think that the relationship from the first game can be replicated, and playing as Clementine wouldn't be as fun (considering you'd have to be a kid, who can't really do much). I don't see them fast-forwarding to teen Clem either, considering that the games are supposed to be canonical and we don't know what's in store for the future of TWD's world.

For now, I'd like to see some new characters, and we can come back to Clem at a later date.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
It will more than likely pick up right from when the last one ended, it can't be when clem is a teenager because it would pass the place where the comics are. I belive it to be 2 years after outbreak. Not 100% on it obviously

Know what would be a total dick move? All new characters and the first zombie you kill is clemintine.