The Walking Dead season 4 premire

Anja Bech

Mar 20, 2013
Since it seems nobody has made a thread about this and I really really wanna hear everyone's oppinion on this I guess I'll justh have to make on. There will probably be spoilers for past seasons and this first episode.

I for one loved it. So far I really like the new characters and how everyone seem to have evolved during their time together at the prison over winter. It was almost cozy at times... and there was that action we've all been craving. So yeah, what did you think of the premire? Were you disappointed? Satisfied? Excited for the next episode?

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Has the show gotten better? I stopped watching it because I was sick of everybody acting so goddamn stupid all the goddamn time. It just wasn't enjoyable.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
I did enjoy it but I didn't find it as exciting as season 3, I stayed up until 2 this morning catching up on the last 4 eps of s3 which I'm glad I did cos it's fresh in my mind.

Carl is still an annoying fuck though :(

I'm sure it'll just get better from here though.
Kenbo Slice said:
Has the show gotten better? I stopped watching it because I was sick of everybody acting so goddamn stupid all the goddamn time. It just wasn't enjoyable.
A lot of peiple stopped watching midway season 2 because they had a massive budget cut so couldn't spend as much on props, costumes etc.
I'm stupidly stubborn and kept with it, glad I did cos season 3 was amazing!

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
EeveeElectro said:
I did enjoy it but I didn't find it as exciting as season 3, I stayed up until 2 this morning catching up on the last 4 eps of s3 which I'm glad I did cos it's fresh in my mind.

Kenbo Slice said:
A lot of peiple stopped watching midway season 2 because they had a massive budget cut so couldn't spend as much on props, costumes etc.
That doesn't quite answer my question though. I asked if the characters still act like complete morons.

Billy D Williams

Jul 8, 2013
Kenbo Slice said:
That doesn't quite answer my question though. I asked if the characters still act like complete morons.
Well, not really. The episode literally starts with them doing the smartest thing possible

Using the prison land as a farm and killing walkers through holes in the chainlink fence, AKA getting a steady food supply and ensuring protection of their home)

Anyhow, I for one liked it after how anti-climactic the season 3 finale was. It was slow, but it is also an amazing setup for a potentially amazing season, and I can't wait for next week's episode. Also, I didn't find Carl to be that annoying in this episode, people still hate Carl a lot but the writers have, in my opinion, made him grow a lot as a character into someone that still isn't very great as a whole but much better than he was before. Hopefully this season I can actually like him.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Kenbo Slice said:
EeveeElectro said:

Kenbo Slice said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to add some stuff, my dinner was ready so I had to stop writing halfway through...

Andrea is stupid and quite annoying. I do love to hate her though. Carl is a moron but I suppose he is a kid...
Carol is pretty incompetent but actually gets better.

The others don't get on my nerves but I don't know if that's the same for you.

Zef Otter

Nov 28, 2007
Billy D Williams said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Well, not really. The episode literally starts with them doing the smartest thing possible

Using the prison land as a farm and killing walkers through holes in the chainlink fence, AKA getting a steady food supply and ensuring protection of their home)

Anyhow, I for one liked it after how anti-climactic the season 3 finale was. It was slow, but it is also an amazing setup for a potentially amazing season, and I can't wait for next week's episode. Also, I didn't find Carl to be that annoying in this episode, people still hate Carl a lot but the writers have, in my opinion, made him grow a lot as a character into someone that still isn't very great as a whole but much better than he was before. Hopefully this season I can actually like him.
Well the dumbest thing they did is..

not get Hershel (who is a veterinarian and a farmer) to look at the sick pig. Also Having a bunch of dead zombies laying near your crops and livestock don't seem like a good idea (I guess thats how Harry potter kid died).

Other then that it's a good episode to start the season.

rachelroooo

Oct 14, 2013
I thought that it was a great episode, though one thing that I didn't get was why all the zombies started falling from the roof at the same time if the foundation was already weak before Daryl and company entered the building.

Other than that I loved it, and I thought that the episode was a good set up for the rest of the season. I heard that the next episode is supposed to be brutal!!

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Does Daryl die?
I'll start watching it again if Daryl dies or when the season ends.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Enjoyed the hell out of it.
The whole scene when walkers started falling through the roof was tense and very original.
It's always nice to see Rick suffering more, not because I hate him, but because it kinda develops him as a character.
And that Harry Potter kid. Fuck. Call an adult! Now you are dead and will likely bite someone in the morning. Moron.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Anja Bech said:
hazabaza1 said:
Does Daryl die?
You must be trolling... or perhaps we've just discovered the only person who doesn't like Daryl. Never thought I'd see the day.
Not trolling. I think he's pretty awful and probably the worst addition the TV show had compared to the comics.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I really liked it! Spoilers of course.

The whole scene with Rick and that woman was..."filler" I guess, but I really liked her and what she had to say. I don't know, I just think her actress really sold me on it or something. Plus, having Rick go through some more messed up stuff is always fun. I though she was a walker at first, so hearing her talk scared me a bit, lol.

Bob or whatever the new black guy's name is looks a bit interesting. The way he was just shaking his head past that bottle of alcohol, picking one up, and putting it back, took a lot of guts and made me respect him more. I mean, I don't know anyone that has had a problem with alcohol, but I always find characters and people that can keep saying no to something like that to really say a lot.

Beth and Carl showed exactly what kind of upbringing in the zombie apocalypse will do to a kid. Beth looks upset, but just sort of brushes off the death of that kid like it was nothing. The fact that she has to ask Daryl if he is alright instead made me raise an eyebrow. People hate on Carl, but I always found his tenacity to try and do something productive to be nice, even if he is sent to "be like other kids". Just waiting for him to snap one day or something.

The grocery store scene was well done in general, have no problems with it. Seeing Michonne smile and laugh makes me think of how far she has come since last season. Although her current wardrobe could use a bit more...sleeves. I like the fact that she is looking at going to Macon, and I wonder what that will entail.

Both of the kids I liked in this episode ended up dying, which makes me sad. The one at the end was really weird though. I'm guessing the virus mutated, or the water supply is contaminated, or something. I'm sure they will explore it in due time.

Wasn't the best episode or anything, but it was thoroughly enjoyed by it, so its fine in my book.

EeveeElectro said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Oh yeah, I forgot to add some stuff, my dinner was ready so I had to stop writing halfway through...

Andrea is stupid and quite annoying. I do love to hate her though. Carl is a moron but I suppose he is a kid...
Carol is pretty incompetent but actually gets better.

The others don't get on my nerves but I don't know if that's the same for you.
I like Andrea, but I totally 100% understand why people would hate her.

tce11

Turtle Who Lives in the Clouds
Apr 17, 2008
I thought it was pretty good, I like how they've let some time pass and things have settled down a bit. It's nice to see the characters as actual people and not unstoppable zombie killing machines for a change. The fight in the store was interesting, and as always some top notch effects and make-up. That one zombie that hit the ground and then sat up and the back of his head stuck to the ground and peeled off was absolutely amazing.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Yeah it was pretty good.
It had good action scenes with the mall and the walkers falling.
The part with Rick and the woman was great, fooling us and thinking it was a trap and then wasn't.
Character development happens and is well handled, especially with new characters.
Essentially the first episode is just the scene setting where everything is hunky dory and then turns to shit, for the juxtaposition.
Yes I still think that The Walking Dead is getting even better, though it is early in the series.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Xathos said:
I really liked it! Spoilers of course.

The whole scene with Rick and that woman was..."filler" I guess, but I really liked her and what she had to say. I don't know, I just think her actress really sold me on it or something.
I thought that the entire segment with Rick and the dishevelled woman was meant to symbolise either that Rick can't continue in this world with his guard down or that he was well aware of what the woman was trying to do and is trying to find opportunities to get himself killed. Just food for thought.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Can I just take a moment to ***** about how they always spoil a good chunk of the upcoming season with that "Coming up in this season of AMC's the Walking Dead" footage montage? I had what looked like a groundbreaking moment for the season thoroughly spoiled by this crap.

Also, why does Carl have such a problem with the survival classes being taught secretly to kids? Didn't he spend something like a whole season whining at his Dad to be taught that stuff?

Anyways, excited by the season, angry about the stuff above.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
Does Daryl die?
To much raw redneck sex appeal for you? his hair is long now. Makes all dem girls swoon.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
1. Andrea gone. Lori gone. Dale gone. It took three seasons, but most of the horrifying casting mistakes that have dogged the show from the beginning have been rectified. Now if only someone would kill Carl...

2. Speaking of Carl, Chandler Riggs is really not a very good actor. Nor were any of the other child actors who made an appearance in this episode. The scene with them all bantering by the fence was agonizing.

3. It's pretty clear the show runners are aware of Daryl's popularity, as "Daryl Dixon: Heroic Badass" is starting to feel forced. He was best as a grizzled, amoral background character.

4. Some decent zombie action. Not just in numbers, but in viscera. It would appear the show got another budget kick. Which it should, given it's (inexplicably) absurd ratings. It only has to pay for Mad Men now, as Breaking Bad is over.

5. Shout out to D'Angelo Barksdale, who joins Dennis "Cutty" Wise as the 2nd Wire alumni on the show. All we need now is Avon, Stringer, Wee-Bey and Slim Charles and we can have a Wire/Walking Dead crossover where the Barksdale organization has to battle for their corners with the living dead.

6. Still not anything close to great television. It has a long way to go to shed it's title as the biggest underachieving disappointment on television.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
It's still pissing me off how the show relies so heavily on tired cliche's and pure stupidity to progress the story. I REALLY want to love this series, but the lazy writing is holding it back at merely 'watchable' territory for me.

I'm also quite bothered by how Daryl suddenly seems to be the most popular guy in the settlement with everyone treating him like a hero... Way to shamelessly pander to the fan base guys.

I'll keep watching it, but I'm getting the feeling that the writing hasn't improved much at all since the cavalcade of stupidity that was the story arc of season 3, so I'm keeping my expectations low.