The "what were they thinking" concepts for food products

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
While I was watching a advert for Cadbury's Philadelphia, I was wondering what other crazy concepts for food have their been.

Spray on vinegar, Chocolate Fruit Tella's, and Lemon and Lime/Blackcurrant Jaffa Cakes, go in to the "What the hell were they thinking" category for me.

Then there's some crazy stuff in the states which makes all of this look tame, like this for example...

Yeah, that's a real product.

and It get's worse, much worse...

Faith in Humanity -5, how anyone would want to eat that sort of thing is beyond me.

Also, there's that sandwich in a can that goes off in several years, urgh disgusting.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Kendarik said:
Ah, your examples are nothing. You should see their carnival food, such as deep fried butter (yes, they coat a piece of butter in batter and deep fry it so you can eat little pellets of fried butter)
Sounds like something an enterprising individual would offer in a Glaswegian chippy...

(cue all Scots after my blood...)

OT: Not a branded item per se, more of a cultural... foible, shall we say, but in China, there's a popular sweet called loh-paw-be'ng (or however it's anglicised), which literally translates to 'wife cake'. They're quite nice, but I haven't the faintest idea where the name came from, or why the hell people have persisted in calling them as such... *shrug*

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Jazoni89 said:

Faith in Humanity -5, how anyone would want to eat that sort of thing is beyond me.
um that sounds delicious actually.... just sayin.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Well, there's always this product.

I've been informed that it was allegedly intentional though.

masterbazza

Mar 24, 2011
Kendarik said:
As for Jaffa Cakes, I must say I'm deeply concerned to hear that anyone would consider making cakes out of sentient aliens.
i thought i was the only one

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Cheese and meat. why would anyone!

also we have foods called "your dog" "old mans meat" or "crisis bread".

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
A lot of you are too young to remember Crystal Pepsi [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Pepsi]:

Yep. Basically caffeine-free Pepsi with the caramel coloring left out. It went over about as well as you would expect.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Kendarik said:
Ah, your examples are nothing. You should see their carnival food, such as deep fried butter (yes, they coat a piece of butter in batter and deep fry it so you can eat little pellets of fried butter)
Bah, that only happened because one fair did it and then everyone else decided to follow suit "ironically" for a while, just so people could say "holy shit, I'm actually eating this!" It's been pretty much forgotten about now.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
zidine100 said:
Jazoni89 said:

There's a even worser version of that, and it has Jelly (Jam) in it.

Lost you're appetite now?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
OP, have you seen Epic Meal Time? From the sounds of it you haven't

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
DoPo said:
OP, have you seen Epic Meal Time? From the sounds of it you haven't

Oh yes I have a couple of times. I haven't watched it recently because the video's became too repetitious, and predictable.

But that's besides the point, it's not what this threads about.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
zidine100 said:
Jazoni89 said:

There's a even worser version of that, and it has Jelly (Jam) in it.

Lost you're appetite now?
nope, just makes me want to go out and buy donuts to make one.

Kendarik said:
Sounds like something an enterprising individual would offer in a Glaswegian chippy...

(cue all Scots after my blood...)
im Scottish so i guess that explains my opinion..... also BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Dude. The horror that is "Cheeseburger in a can"

*Product may not be as edible as it appears

THE HORROR!

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
That Vegemite ISnack 2.0 or whatever.. whoever thought mixing cheese flavour into something that is already a niche taste like vegemite obviously had problems :D because even me as a vegemite addict felt sick over the idea.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
TopazFusion said:
Jazoni89 said:
Have you never seen the Double Down?

Yes, those are pieces of chicken, instead of bread buns.

It's chicken with cheese and bacon on it I don't see the problem, those are really common things to put on chicken. I'll give it to the novelty sodas, Jonas turkey and gravy soda. Though giving it to a food that made it's selling point it's weird may be cheating.