The Wishlist: Loot Crate

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
Loot Crate

Because you don't know exactly what you want until Loot Crate ships it to you.

Click here to enter for a chance to win 3 months of Loot Crate now: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contests/register/wishlistlootcrate

Watch Video

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
"currently, Lootcrate only ships to the US & Canada"

Worst. Episode. Evar.
(That's because I would totally use this)

I like the food boxes that you can order online, although they're not necessarily a monthly thing.
Although one has to rely on, in my case, the Royal Mail which I'll leave you to interpret however you want.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
"This promotion is only available to residents of the US and Canada"

...I hope the sea boils and the rocks melt.

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
Riobux said:

I know they're hoping to expand to other countries/continents, so don't lose hope! They just started out about a year ago or so. :)

Give em some time, you rabid nerds, you!

feha

Mar 19, 2011
This feels sort of like what the wishlist does, except you paid for it before you even know if you are interested.
Also reminds me of the xkcd ebay script, ordering cheap things to make every day a birthday.

I like both of them though, so I'm actually kinda tempted :p

EDIT:
And it turns out it doesn't ship to Sweden, spoiled it all for me :(

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Ashley Esqueda said:
Riobux said:

I know they're hoping to expand to other countries/continents, so don't lose hope! They just started out about a year ago or so. :)

The loot-crate thing seems like an awesome thing to sign up for since it does seem like an awesome random gift system (even if it would be very expensive for those not from North America), but my heavy sigh is more something common with at least 90% of competitions on The Escapist. It was a pretty big thing when there was a competition about six months ago only open to the US and Canada that through all the complaining The Escapist finally decided to open it up to those outside the two countries. People outside North America knows why it is the case (oh god, the post and packaging prices), but it doesn't make it any less akin to dangling keys in front of people's faces.

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
Riobux said:
Ashley Esqueda said:
Riobux said:

The loot-crate thing seems like an awesome thing to sign up for since it does seem like an awesome random gift system (even if it would be very expensive for those not from North America), but my heavy sigh is more something common with at least 90% of competitions on The Escapist. It was a pretty big thing when there was a competition about six months ago only open to the US and Canada that through all the complaining The Escapist finally decided to open it up to those outside the two countries. People outside North America knows why it is the case (oh god, the post and packaging prices), but it doesn't make it any less akin to dangling keys in front of people's faces.
Actually, the reason we couldn't ship internationally is because LootCrate doesn't ship anywhere else, not because we decided to keep it to US/Canada. If we could have made it international, it would have happened. Just kind of how it worked out this time. Sorry~

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
It seems like cursing more and more at America for getting all the cool shit.

[HEADING=1]Damn you, America![/HEADING]

[sub]And you too, Canada, this time[/sub]

So yeah, I for one really hope that they're able to expand their business, because this would definitely be something I'd be interested in.

Jun 16, 2010
Ashley Esqueda said:
Loot Crate

Because you don't know exactly what you want until Loot Crate ships it to you.

Click here to enter for a chance to win 3 months of Loot Crate now: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contests/register/wishlistlootcrate

Watch Video
I say this in the spirit of constructive criticism: your line delivery is very hammy. Cringe-inducingly so.
There are ways to make it work; Lisa Foiles and Jim Sterling are both hammy, but with a certain wry self-awareness and self-mockery that makes it seem clever.

But you don't really commit enough to being a comic persona, so it kinda falls flat when you "swoon" and crack jokes.
If I were you, I would either have unscripted segments where you show some genuine enthusiasm for what you're talking about (perhaps with a hands-on demonstration), or write scripts that are more clever/funny/insightful and don't seem as much like depressingly unenthusiastic shilling of random products.

Edit: Be yourself more, is what I'm trying to say. Write the way you naturally talk, and not a series of clichés and hackneyed catch phrases which you can barely deliver with a straight face...

Mikeypizzle

May 16, 2013
I've been getting Loot Crate for the past 2 months and I haven't been disappointed yet! They gives me things that I would never by themselves because of the price and I love decorting my apartment and desk at work. Plus people always ask me where I got my awesome stuff.

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
James Joseph Emerald said:
*snip*

Edit: Be yourself more, is what I'm trying to say. Write the way you naturally talk, and not a series of clichés and hackneyed catch phrases which you can barely deliver with a straight face...
It's almost as if folks can't figure out that is EXACTLY how I talk in real life, and how I act.

I'm an awkward ham and cheese sandwich. Unabashedly goofy, often odd. But always earnest. I actually hand pick all the stuff I feature on the Wishlist, and most of it, I own.

I've been like that since I was a kid. So, I am being myself. All the time. Except without the swearing.

/shrug

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I know a few people who would go absolutely nuts for these. I just hope its affordable, my wallet is taking quite a beating from the internet lately.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Now, this is pretty neat, I can choose my country in the "Shipping Country" dropdown box. Do they actually ship, or do you get some kind of error at checkout?

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Ashley Esqueda said:
Riobux said:
Ashley Esqueda said:
Riobux said:

Actually, the reason we couldn't ship internationally is because LootCrate doesn't ship anywhere else, not because we decided to keep it to US/Canada. If we could have made it international, it would have happened. Just kind of how it worked out this time. Sorry~
Ah, sorry, I'll admit I thought it was connected to the Wishlist show being on The Escapist website and The Escapist having a particular policy.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
You want makes my blood boil? That Mexico is supposed to be in a Free Trade Agreement with the US and Canada exactly for shipments and such, yet we're always treated like North America (which is what the first initials of NAFTA mean" ends at Río Bravo. Free Trade my ass.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Stupid Atlantic. Makes me want to go and throw all the Loot Crates in the ocean, they'll call it the Boston Loot Party. Maybe we can trade, if you don't give us the goods we will force Piers Morgan to stay over there!

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
I can't recall the site at the moment, but I know there's an RPG based company that does a 'secret stash' type thing, where you buy a box of 'stuff' (can be themed if you asked) and they send you a big pile of stuff that's worth more than you paid for.

So this seems to be becoming a thing.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
You mean you pay them money before you even know what they're going to send you?

I guess it's for people who like to gamble.

Jun 16, 2010
Ashley Esqueda said:
It's almost as if folks can't figure out that is EXACTLY how I talk in real life, and how I act.

I'm an awkward ham and cheese sandwich. Unabashedly goofy, often odd. But always earnest. I actually hand pick all the stuff I feature on the Wishlist, and most of it, I own.
Again, this is just honest feedback: something gets lost in translation. You come off too earnest for the goofiness to seem natural, and too goofy to be taken seriously. So it just sort of falls flat.

I don't think you should give up or anything, you seem genuinely cool. It's just, you might want to change up your formula a bit. Something to consider.

Edit: Y'know, maybe a big part of the awkwardness is due to you trying so hard to hold back the swears. Maybe it's an integral part of your humour. Have you ever thought of that?
You could always bleep them out if you're worried about appealing to like, conservatives or something.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I can't justify the purchase given that there's a good chance of getting stuff I don't want in every box. However, these boxes are a great way to find out about swag that I wouldn't have otherwise known about, and that makes the unboxing videos on youtube a neat resource. I also think that signing someone up for the service would be a decent present if you're wracking your brain for ideas, as the contents do add up to match the cost.