The Wishlist: Sphero

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I have some friends that would be confused by this ball of magic you call Sphero. Nice presenter by the way. This isn't something where the company of Sphero paid you guys to air this right? RIGHT?!

Edit: Was being sarcastic :p I don't care if they are or not sponsors

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
mattttherman3 said:
I have some friends that would be confused by this ball of magic you call Sphero. Nice presenter by the way. This isn't something where the company of Sphero paid you guys to air this right? RIGHT?!
And if they did, So what? I really don't see how people are getting so nuts over this show trying to sell us on products.

The only real big difference between this show and a review on the Escapist for a game (besides the time difference) that I see is that they don't talk about things that don't sound that fun to have, and that makes sense. The show is called "Wish List", not I don't know, "Swag: The Good and the Bad".

Anyway, Sphero looks neat. :) I may get it more for my pets than for myself though.

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
mattttherman3 said:
This isn't something where the company of Sphero paid you guys to air this right? RIGHT?!
Supposedly not. And if Sphero (the company, not the toy) did front some cash for this plug, the bit about Sphero (the toy, not the company) getting scratched easily probably would not have made the final cut.

Nice presentation. Cool toy. It's a big step up from the old "come-back can" of my youth.

http://demo.physics.uiuc.edu/lectdemo/descript/790/PIC00006.jpg

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
That segment with the dog does more to sell it than the rest of it. I'm guessing greyhound?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
mattttherman3 said:
It says, right underneath the video, that these aren't paid endorsements.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
Acting was more expressive in this episode - facial expression with strong emphasis on conveying emotiongs

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
Massive cred gained for "Wise from your gwave."

A price point would've been cool to hear in the video. I could of course easily look that up myself, but disposable income is hard enough to come by so I'm not tempting myself by visiting the site. It looks damn cool though.

Also, that was very well presented.

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
It's 149.99$ on Amazon o_O
I expected it to be under 50

edit: found another listing on amazon for 129

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Years ago I was shown a website for a security company that made ball robots with cameras embedded in them. They were extremely robust as they were engineered to survive being thrown into buildings. They controlled pretty much the same way Sphero does, except their sale was restricted to government and law enforcement only. It's weird to know that Sphero has spiritual ancestors in the restricted technology market.

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
kailus13 said:
That segment with the dog does more to sell it than the rest of it. I'm guessing greyhound?
She's the looniest Italian Greyhound you'll ever meet (her name is Bailey)!

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Unfortunately, as with most of the seemingly fun devices shown, the cost really doesn't justify 20 games of mixed quality, and 130 dollars (probably more for me) isn't what I'd consider reasonable for a controllable ball, even if it does light up and terrorise your pets. My dogs go for any object that does anything on its own, so I'm covered.

Also, gwave. Getting better. :D