The Witcher 2 First Impressions Thread

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Well thanks for that I'll keep an eye on it then. The first game made me feel kind of uncomfortable really and I'm not a prude by any standards. Thanks for being civil with me :) It was more the knowledge that they were there since I figured he was meant to sleep with the first women becuase I thought she was his girlfriend ...lol. It wasn't just the cards it was also the fact that there were really no normal female characters they all seemed to have set thier phasers to 'slut' as it were...

It really made me feel bad as a female gamer, the only game that has done really.

Sep 14, 2009
veloper said:
Trolldor said:
The first Witcher didn't prevent you from going back and forth between them. Most of the game was running back and forth between areas for quests.
There were areas that would become blocked off after a chapter transition.
Ofcourse those were areas you'd have no reason to revisit anyway, unless you missed out on some side-quest.
this, they made it fit with the story very well,there was no point going back to certain areas to have a "open world" to it, if you honestly needed to go back then:

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Well thanks for that I'll keep an eye on it then. The first game made me feel kind of uncomfortable really and I'm not a prude by any standards. Thanks for being civil with me :) It was more the knowledge that they were there since I figured he was meant to sleep with the first women becuase I thought she was his girlfriend ...lol. It wasn't just the cards it was also the fact that there were really no normal female characters they all seemed to have set thier phasers to 'slut' as it were...

It really made me feel bad as a female gamer, the only game that has done really.
The whores in the game are a bit slutty, but otherwise the female NPCs seems reasonably well developed with a mind of their own.

Most male NPCs are smelly, foul-mouthed, sexist pigs however ;-)

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Bostur said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:

The whores in the game are a bit slutty, but otherwise the female NPCs seems reasonably well developed with a mind of their own.

I dunno even that wierd green (elven? I can't recall) woman was trying to jump you. The secretary in the town and the witch. It all seemed a bit creepy to me and yeah the slimy men didn't help.

Can't they just leave all that stuff out and let me chop monsters up. I really want to be excited for this game but I'm finding it hard. (that's not an innuendo! ;p)

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Bostur said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:

I dunno even that wierd green (elven? I can't recall) woman was trying to jump you. The secretary in the town and the witch. It all seemed a bit creepy to me and yeah the slimy men didn't help.

Can't they just leave all that stuff out and let me chop monsters up. I really want to be excited for this game but I'm finding it hard. (that's not an innuendo! ;p)

Actually, that 'weird green elven' woman was one of like... three in the entire game who actively proposition you.
I'd be surprised if you had much more than a minute of actual sex scenes in the game.
I didn't even notice the sex in W2, which is a massive improvement over the first game where a lot of the NPC interactions and Side quests gave sex as a possible ending.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
xXxJessicaxXx said:

I haven't played the first one so I can't compare. So far the only NPC trying to jump me has been Geralt's girlfriend. They do have some very juicy cutscenes though, that are more explicit than what I've seen in games before. It's on par with what European movies sometimes show.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Bostur said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:

I haven't played the first one so I can't compare. So far the only NPC trying to jump me has been Geralt's girlfriend. They do have some very juicy cutscenes though, that are more explicit than what I've seen in games before. It's on par with what European movies sometimes show.
I think Ill pass on it for now. Thanks for being understanding anyways :p I actually feel bad about being squicked out by it btw.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
-Seraph- said:
Zer_ said:
After beating the game, I found it to be really, really good. Honestly if you find the combat too difficult, try it on Easy mode. Interestingly enough, the difference between the two difficulties is quite huge. It'd be better if normal wasn't so difficult so as to punish any mistake with death.

Easy: No real tactics in combat beyond the need to avoid being surrounded. Shielded opponents don't block, they only mitigate damage done.

Normal: It's incredibly hard. At the beginning of the game, an enemy can 2 or 3 shot you from behind. Very, very unforgiving for a "Normal" difficulty.

Anything harder than that would be insanity I presume.
I'm playing on Hard mode and finding it pretty manageable; you really gotta use all the tools at your disposal even in standard enemy encounters. Those little shits like Nekkers and Drowners can easily murder you if you get surrounded....and boy did I fucking hate Nekkers while in Flotsam.

Capcha: between essivila
I went and started on Hard and man it's tough!! Now unfortunately I've only had about 3 hours of play time with it, but it seriously took me at least 1.5hrs to finish the Assault lol. A lot of learning how to fight there! I made it to the very end of the last prologue thing, and got butt raped by 5 guys including one of those super heavy armoured guys... that wasn't fun. I think I'm going to drop it to Normal and just enjoy the game a lot more.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
i have found something else that carried over from witcher 1 that really annoys me .. the inventory system still SUCKS.

there is still no indication as to what i can sell, what i might need later, what i can drop, or whatever! i ask again, WHY DO BOOKS I HAVE ALREADY READ STAY IN MY INVENTORY!? do i need them for later? can i safely discard them or throw them away? i got out of the prologue (if you will) and was suddenly carrying too much weight. since there didn't seem to be a storage chest, i was forced to throw away items so i could progress them game. really CD Projekt? that is what you had in mind?!

do i need all of this cloth, leather, dust and all the other crafting supplies that are sucking up my inventory space? why can't i seem to sell just a fraction of them to a vendor? why is it seemingly all or nothing? seriously if someone figured out how to do that, you would be my hero.

stupid issues like this just drive me crazy in games where the everything else seems so polished.

Furin

May 20, 2011
Hi folks, longtime lurker, just registered just to make this post.

My first impression is that this game is a finely crafted and polished gem sticking out of the heap of garbage that is made, and bought, as mainstream games today. The game is a challenge to learn, but rewarding and maybe even harder to master. I play on normal settings for my first run and it's unforgiving if you do not think ahead and plan your tactics. Just button mashing gets you killed but you know why, it is not because the game is unfair. It happens because you failed.

The graphics are phenomenal, the amount of detail is astonishing, the music is okayish, above average, sometimes great. Depending on how deeply you explore, you will find quests that will not be forced upon you (I watched the let's plays on youtube before I got the game, because I could not wait and the guys there did not find half the stuff you could actually do in the tutorial/intro mission(s)). The developer actually risks people not finding everything, sometimes you even cannot do two things at the same time, replay value is guaranteed.

There is real choice that matters, not simulated one or jut the "apperance" of choice. I am only a few hours into the Witcher2 and I have already seen multiple quests that really change depending on your actions. People whom you kill will not appear, people who you help will help you or attack you (way later in the story) if you did not help them, and so on and so forth.

Basically what this means is that the developer has made not only ONE game, but MANY games that he can only sell as one game. Because REAL choice needs all the places and people and choices to be existing along each other, while the player can only take one route. As far as my first impression after roughly 12 hours of playing concerns, the Witcher2 delivers.

The game starts relatively linear in the extended tutorial/intro mission but once you get into your first town the world map opens up and you can explore more freely. I decided to run into the woods in the night instead of following the main quest and started killing monsters (for crafting reagents), which fought each other. So I was sneaking around in the dark, buffed by an intoxicating potion, watching some sort of bugs killing some sort of zombie thingie and then jumped in to finish the both of, shortly before becoming swarmed by another wave of beasties that slew me right there.

As someone who has played RPGs since "The Bards Tale" on the AMIGA I can only highly recommend this game to anyone, who has just the slightest interest in the genre. And please, please do BUY this game. Do not pirate it! Tell your friends not to pirate it. It is worth every Nickel, Cent, Yen or whatever currency you fancy. It deserves to have good sales and totally obliterate the crap we nowaydays get served as mainstream games. I had almost given up on gaming in general and felt like one of those old folks just remembering the "good old times", but this game really gives me the wonderful "escape" adrenaline kick, I was missing so much with the modern games.

The Escapist should give this game at least as much coverage and credit as it did with Dragon Age2 even though it's "just" from "some European company".

Sorry for any weird sounding English and all typos I did not find, I am from Austria and English is not my native language.

Best vibes from Vienna!
Furin

monkeyrevenge

Jan 3, 2011
Ascarus said:
ks1234 said:
I just dumped about 5 hours into the game and I am... Unimpressed. I will say one thing... It is a system hog, I have a PC that is a little bit better than the reccomended specs and I can only run it at medium with 25-30FPS
Weaksauce
i run the game on "medium" and it runs pretty smooth. what i found amusing was the game recommended "ultra" based on my system configuration and specs and it was a horrible mess ... it looked like a freaking slide show.

Thats odd, it recommended Low for my PC and I ignore it and put it on ultra and get around 30+ FPS with one caveat, make sure you turn off ubersampling as that alone will reduced performance by 2-3 times.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Dragonborne88 said:
How were the books, by the way? I really want to read them, ever since the first Witcher game. I really want to learn the whole history of the "Butcher of Baklava" story, and the whole story of how Geralt of Rivia died and lost Yennefer. Especially since she comes up a LOT in The Witcher 2. They make tons of references to the books.
Not being fluent in Polish, I've only read the two they've translated to English so far, but those have been excellent (if sometimes saddled with some odd grammar no doubt brought on by having been translated from another language). As for those plot elements you mention, the tale of how Geralt became known as the "Butcher of Blaviken" (not baklava) is one of the collection of short stories linked by an overarching narrative in the first book, The Last Wish, and it's one of the better ones - like most of the stories in that anthology, it's a very dark take on traditional European fairy tales (in this case that of Snow White).

The death of Geralt and Yennifer during a non-human uprising in Rivia takes place during the last of the novels though, so you can either wait... for probably a good long while, or learn Polish. I would definitely recommend picking up The Last Wish and the first "proper" novel Blood of Elves - the way the lore is handled in the games is done in a way that you really don't have to be familiar with the character and setting at all (I certainly wasn't, I read both of those books after playing the original and falling in love with it), but you'll get a lot of little references.

Triss and Geralt were never actually a couple, and she's sort of tricked him into believing that they were in the past thanks to his amnesia. They had slept together before, that much was truthful, but it wasn't at all like what she implies in the game. The truth of the matter is that she'd watched the relationship he had with their mutual friend Yennefer of Vengerberg, which - despite how destructive and unhealthy it was and how mutually unhappy it seemed to make them quite often - was strangely lasting, and it made her jealous.

So she'd used a little magic to seduce Geralt during one of the rougher patches in his tumultuous relationship with Yennefer - Geralt remained her friend afterward and cared a great deal about her, but he regretted their encounter and tried to put it past him; Triss meanwhile wound up unhappily in love with a man who didn't love her in return. And then he died, only to be mysteriously resurrected without his memories, and she jumped on the chance that provided her.

Perhaps he really does love her now after his return from the grave, but there's no denying the relationship you see in the games is based on a foundation of dishonesty on her part, and it certainly colors some of their interactions, like when she suggests in the first game that it would be better for Geralt to forge a new identity for himself than to chase after his missing memories or let other people tell him what kind of man he was - maybe she actually believed that was best, or maybe she just didn't want him to remember because then they might not be together anymore.

Either way, it's an interesting moral quandary that his returning memories can only exacerbate, and it's something that people who haven't read the books wouldn't even pick up on (though there are some hints in the sequel, like when he asks her to tell him everything about Yennefer, even the parts she doesn't want him to know).

RaeveSpam

May 27, 2009
I've just completed my 3rd play through (the 3rd on Insane, the other 2 on medium), so I clearly like this game a lot, but I'll try to be objective here.

This game takes some commitment to get used to. I loved the Witcher 1 aswell, and used 30 minutes to set the controls to my liking (had to edit the config files to get it just right).
Even after setting the controls as I wanted, I still had a hard time staying alive through the prologue. I found the dreaded dragon scene and even the normal soldiers quite hard to cope with, but I managed. The story was enticing, the characters believable and the scenery was just stunning.

I had a hard time staying alive through the first chapter even in 1-on-1 fights. But somewhere in second chapter I got the hang of it, something clicked and the combat just worked! It wasn't hard anymore, it was just challenging and a butt load of fun! (I'm not kidding here!)
I must say, as soon as I learned the combat I couldn't find any major problems in the game, of course there is still some minor bugs, like monsters locking up when they try to pick up a trap, but nothing that you couldn't work out by yourself.

My second play through I actually found the game even better, I had no problem with the prologue, and due to some different choices it felt like I played half part of the game for the first time.

My insane play through was just to see if I could, but I must say the the combat got even more exciting, not because I feared for losing 20 hours of my life if I failed, but because this fear made me use everything in the Geralt's arsenal, to anyone who find battling several opponents a hassle remember this: dodge, bombs, quen and dodge for gods sake! (Don't use block!)

I hope this is useful for someone.

TL:DR I find this game great! It has an issue with the learning curve, but when you get it, the game is just tons of fun!

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Does the game get better after Chapter 1? Because I finished Ch.1 about a week ago and dropped the game, because honestly that damn forest around Flotsam sucked all of the fun out of the game entirely. Way too much running around aimlessly. I've been considering starting it up again, but I'd like to know the game (or at least setting) gets better in chapters 2 and 3.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Does the game get better after Chapter 1? Because I finished Ch.1 about a week ago and dropped the game, because honestly that damn forest around Flotsam sucked all of the fun out of the game entirely. Way too much running around aimlessly. I've been considering starting it up again, but I'd like to know the game (or at least setting) gets better in chapters 2 and 3.
This is obviously not going to be an easy question for me to answer because I loved that chapter, especially wandering around in the forest, but if the sort of maze-like overgrown forest littered with traps that are very hard to spot unless you keep stopping and using your amulet is what annoyed you, there's really none of that in the 2nd or 3rd chapters. Also, depending on a certain choice you make in chapter 1, the way chapter 2 plays out is entirely different - there are two separate cities/hubs with entirely different quests and all the consequences that entails.

As for wandering around aimlessly, what do you mean by that exactly? The only times you had to go out into the wilderness around Flotsam, there was a clear quest indicator telling you where to go, and all the sidequests except for the nekker and endriga contracts were also labeled. Sure, the game doesn't tell you where to find endriga cocoons or nekker nests, but those quests are optional, and the sort of thing I did as I happened to be wandering around exploring for its own sake (a particular facet of my psychology, I'm compelled to explore every nook and cranny or I feel like I'm missing stuff) or while I was doing other quests in the area. You were opening the journal and double-clicking on the quest you wanted to track, right?

There's never going to be a fast travel system if that's what you meant.