The Witcher 3 Delayed Yet Again

pilar

Jul 7, 2014
F-I-D-O said:
pilar said:
[HEADING=3]But is it enough time?[/HEADING]

Seeing as how the PC got the short end of the stick with multi-plats launch of AC UNITY's truly next gen, open world concept, I wonder just which platform is getting the most attention right now?

Most likely, there are frame-rate dips in certain areas and across all the platforms. There is so much going on in this world and so much to account for; Witcher 3's ambitions could easily make it a technical disaster.
Hey Buzzfeed, how are you today?
I did some looking around as I confirmed the delay info, and it seems that most of the issues that CD Projekt has talked about come from the console ports of the game. And I don't think I'm wrong in calling it a port TO consoles, as CDP has always put PC development first. They were just happy to have it run on consoles a while ago, and those same interviews had them talking about the console version going down to 30FPS/whatever #ps it runs at. Seeing as how Witcher 2 still remains well optimized on new PC hardware, and was seemingly developed with the next level of graphic cards in mine, it'll probably LOOK fine on PC.
Now, if it goes back to playing like Witcher 1, that's another whole problem.
Also, so many problems from AC Unity seem like it was rushed to fit a yearly schedule. For the life of me, I don't know why they didn't just put out a more polished version of AC:Rogue as a cross-gen title to give people more pirates, so they would have more time for a "truly next gen experience and reinvention of Assassin's Creed" in a 2015 AC:Unity. Ubisoft seemed unwilling to delay games, while CD Projekt doesn't want to have a Witcher 1 launch again.
To be fair, this is only CDP's third game, but most of the interviews talk about how they've viewed Witcher 3 as what they've always wanted to do with the Witcher series, they just knew they weren't good enough/tech wasn't there in 2004. I doubt they'd be willing to fuck that up.
And yeah, there's probably a bunch of framerate drops. Game's was still 3 months from launch (without the delay), which is a lot of time.
CD Projekt is now being funded by a major publisher, Warner Bros; that's one major change. Both platforms were said to launch at high settings, but their latest video (12/5 [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtEO2xZ7BzQ#t=10]) suggests quite a downgrade for all platforms--if graphics are so important to you. It's no more a reality check than Uncharted 4's recent DEMO; and which is still absolutely gorgeous by all accounts.

"Super-powerful PCs will be able to achieve higher resolutions, and they might run the game a bit faster," he explains, "but the plan is to make the experience the same for all gamers and treat everyone equally."
Michał Krzemiński [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-witcher-3-tech-analysis]

If you're still curious, you should check this guy's TECHNICAL BREAKDOWN of the E3 DEMO.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
zinho73 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
You're gonna have to finish this game at some point CDPR. It's never gonna be perfect.
I don't think they are aiming to perfection. The open letter is clear: they want to offer a pleasant experience. They are very respectful to their audience.
Do I really have to add /tongueincheek after every joke post so that people don't keep popping in and correcting me? Or maybe I should add smileys after every single sentence like a fucking Facebook post.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Oh well. Okay.

Come to think of it, I wish the developers who made Skyrim gave that much amount of shit.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Normally delays annoy the pants off of me, but not in CD Projekts case. I actually trust that they aren't full of crap and that they actually are polishing the game and that it won't actually be full of shit like some other developers out there.

There's nothing like delaying a release and the game still being broken.

Also, according to Ubisoft, there's nothing like not delaying the release of an obviously broken game.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Better late than broken. Looking forward to it, especially with my choices from the ending of two.

K-lusive

May 15, 2014
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
I'm a little disappointed since I had a week booked off work for it. But I'm also glad they're taking the time they need to polish it up before releasing it so they give us the most stable product they can. If only other developers did that instead of releasing a buggy, broken mess because they know they can fix it later. *looks and Ubisoft*
That was even riskier than pre-ordering the game!

small

Aug 5, 2014
glad they are taking the extra time and its good to see other cyberpunk fans waiting for that :D

ive been waiting 25 years for a cyberpunk game to finally be made, glad to see its finally happening, plus their trailer nailed the atmosphere

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Gladion said:
I'd rather have a half-broken game now than a finished game a few weeks later.
I'm wondering if anybody actually ever thinks this.
Plenty of people do think this way, unfortunately. There is a lot of negativity and hate surrounding this announcement. More than I'd expect considering the many broken/rushed AAA releases we've seen lately.

Though to be fair, some of it is following on the latest trailer released that seems to be significantly lower fidelity than the first trailers, which would indicate another Aliens: Colonial Marines on the way. (haven't been paying that much attention, myself, but a lot of people seem to be complaining about it)

Though the logic of releasing a potentially broken/sub-par game even earlier in the hopes that it might, somehow, be better than if it was delayed completely escapes me. People like bringing up Duke Nukem Forever's storied past as if it is in any way similar.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
I had this preordered from GOG for so long. Guess I have a few extra months before needing to put together a new PC.
I hope most of their work is focused around the PC Optimization but in all likelyhood they are probably working on populating the World with meaningful content. It's hard to create an OW Game and make the side quests interesting. I'm guessing They have already finished the main quest content and are mainly focused on populating the rest of the game, bringing interesting foes/monsters into the fold etc.

Anyhow keep working CD Projekt, my body is ready

pilar

Jul 7, 2014
VladG said:
Gladion said:
Plenty of people do think this way, unfortunately. There is a lot of negativity and hate surrounding this announcement. More than I'd expect considering the many broken/rushed AAA releases we've seen lately.

Though to be fair, some of it is following on the latest trailer released that seems to be significantly lower fidelity than the first trailers, which would indicate another Aliens: Colonial Marines on the way. (haven't been paying that much attention, myself, but a lot of people seem to be complaining about it)

Though the logic of releasing a potentially broken/sub-par game even earlier in the hopes that it might, somehow, be better than if it was delayed completely escapes me. People like bringing up Duke Nukem Forever's storied past as if it is in any way similar.
[HEADING=1]Too Much Competition[/HEADING]
There's just no way they could have competed against Bloodborne & The Order--and that's just the Playstation. January & February are loaded with console exclusives--and they're new IPs, too. And then Dark Souls 3 comes in out April, I think.

They need this game in an isolated period.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:
zinho73 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
You're gonna have to finish this game at some point CDPR. It's never gonna be perfect.
I don't think they are aiming to perfection. The open letter is clear: they want to offer a pleasant experience. They are very respectful to their audience.
Do I really have to add /tongueincheek after every joke post so that people don't keep popping in and correcting me? Or maybe I should add smileys after every single sentence like a fucking Facebook post.
If you are going to make a commentary that is not obviously ironic, condescending nor sarcastic it sure helps. Maybe it was a bit condescending but not to the point of being obvious.

Going by the completely unnecessary rage on your response, it is also easy to know that you are a bit arrogant, so you might have thought it was obvious enough, though.

Here is a tip: if posts correcting you appear after your every post, maybe the problem is not with the readers.

Anyway, what do I know? Sorry for the comment, honestly, no sarcasm at all.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Gladion said:
BUT I WANT IT NOOOOOW ! So then i can ***** about how broken it is later. And demand refunds and free thing.

Yeh i often wonder this myself considering the crap ppl like EA have pulled in recent years.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
I understand that their stock prices took a hit because of it (or something like that, im no economist)
Personally - id rather have a working game at launch, than one that will work after a couple of months (long after i stopped caring) so yay - good news for me!

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
VladG said:
Gladion said:

Honestly: on the official forums, people seem to be pretty surportive of the development team and as you've stated, horror stories are, in this case, really not warranted. At least not yet. And then there are the rumors about strategic reasons, of course.

I'll definitely keep my preorder for now, if only to support CDPR for their previous two games, which I both enjoyed greatly and both got for a criminally low price.

pilar

Jul 7, 2014
Charcharo said:
pilar said:
I havent even heard of those games (well I know of a Dark Souls 1 and 2). I dont think there is too much of a competition as they seem to be quite different games. In other words, a decent portion of Witcher fans would STILL just get Witcher 3 anyway.
You're right, these games couldn't be further apart; but they will be HEAVILY marketed.
It just feels like we've had about five Medieval-type AAA fantasies released in the past year and a half--and you can basically create Geralt in all of them.

pilar

Jul 7, 2014
Charcharo said:
pilar said:
Charcharo said:
pilar said:
I havent even heard of those games (well I know of a Dark Souls 1 and 2). I dont think there is too much of a competition as they seem to be quite different games. In other words, a decent portion of Witcher fans would STILL just get Witcher 3 anyway.
You're right, these games couldn't be further apart; but they will be HEAVILY marketed.
It just feels like we've had about five Medieval-type AAA fantasies released in the past year and a half--and you can basically create Geralt in all of them.
Their marketing is useless in my case. I am not a rich person to play consoles.

Still, for me (and probably MOST of the Witcher fans), that does not matter. Witcher 3 has one GIGANTIC pro those other games do not:
It is the end of a book AND game series.
That last comment is inadvertently funny to me because it's not complete.
"It's the end of a book AND a game series that no one played outside of a 360 release for its sequel and a badly optimized launch title on PC.

This isn't Metal Gear Solid. Not many are invested in this series. This game will relaunch the franchise. I don't see a point in Warner Bros picking up an IP if it's finished and done after the first game. The only reason Warner Bros picked it up is because of Dragon Age and Skyrim. There's money to made in this genre; and we'll see how Witcher 3 stacks up as an open world game.